Nebraska Recruiting

Bugeaters1

2 hours ago, 12dozen said:

Maybe staff went on summer vacation in March.  How would you know?  I mostly read LJS and OWH.  Even with that limited access, I read of the efforts Hoiberg has been making to build his roster. You read articles daily how the football team is chasing recruits.  They promote their programs.  WBB?  Have read very little, if anything, since we gave our coach a contract extension.  The silence is deafening.  With the roster improvements existing teams have made through the portal and recruiting, and the addition of the new teams to the conference, I'm concerned. I hope I'm wrong.  As mentioned by others, there is still some time to bolster the roster through the portal.  Fingers crossed.

Honestly, I find more information on this small site regarding Husker WBB, than anywhere else. Yet, that isn't much. Wish more was shared. GBR  

I'm very concerned, but I've been very concerned for quite some time.  We had some good games later in the season, but still suffered from inconsistencies.  I hoped we would pick up some solid players from the portal, but so far, we only know of one.  Now we find out we lost a top recruit (I did not read the article since it's paywall, so I don't know if there was a reason included or not), but then again, I never feel it's a done deal until the player is signed and on campus.  We have three freshmen coming in, but one is injured and may not play and is also short, so not sure how much of an impact she will make anyway.  The other two are solid and will need to adapt quickly, especially since our conference is growing and getting even tougher.  Maybe the team will surprise me this next year, I sincerely hope they do, but I honestly feel like we may be looking at finishing in the bottom half.

3 hours ago, Redhac said:

Agree with 12 Dozen post above.  Here we had 1 recruit for 2025 and we can not even keep her in the fold!!!!!!  Geez what do recruits think about Williams.    Dunce?? Personally, I would not have given her a new contract.  Her plan is apparently no plan! 

that is way too harsh.  She is no dunce and of course she has a plan - she is not just napping all spring.  That the plan seems not to be producing doesn't mean she doesn't have a plan and isn't trying.  As for giving a new contract ... hard to do that to a coach who had a winning season, made the tourney, beat the NCAA runner up, took that team to the brink of a second victory, and has a really good incoming class. 

After next season, we do lose three (Moriarty, Coley, and Markowski) plus the transfer.  For the upcoming season, I think we are fine except for being at risk in the big girl dept.  But losing three and adding none in the next class portends an upcoming nose dive.  I cross my fingers that something will happen at Creighton and the twins will have a change of heart. 

I struggle to understand why UNL is not attractive to a quality big - either a soon to be HS senior or someone in the portal.  I mean if they look at last year's successes (including one victory and one very near miss over a NC finalist) and the fact that all positions other than a big are "there" ... just seems like somebody would say "I think i can fill the missing piece and have a fun and successful season there" 

I've come to understand and accept that college basketball recruiting (both men's and women's) has dramatically changed.  Yes a battle seems to have been lost, but the war is far from over.  For example, it seems we are now seeing foreign born players finally finding landing spots.  There are still portal athletes and JUCO players and a plethora of high school juniors and seniors available.  Obviously some better than others.

So although I am concerned about front court depth (both men's and women's) it is too early to throw in the towel.  

We have the facilities to attract higher profile athletes here. I think some of it could be some do not feel it is a good fit with the staff, also sometimes why players leave. The staff sees them one way and they feel the can add more. Sometimes those players move on and we can look back and say yes the staff made a mistake. sometimes the staff was correct. Post season success can add to HS kids wanting to play here as well as portal players wanting to come to NE. Let's remember Amy just only won her first NCAA game this year. Winning in the dance is a bigger eye catcher the just making it and taking a loss in the 1st game. Also she just made to a B1G tourney Championship game this year in her 8 year in the league. We need more post season success to turn recruiting around. So a little luck with no major injuries and a nice run in the B1G and NCAA tourney will help. 

• 4 weeks later...

Forgive me if this was discussed in a different thread but I feel like I’m out of the loop - who is the consensus top in-state high school girls b-ball prospect for Nebraska, class of 2025? And has she committed to any school yet? 

11 minutes ago, Neb Nets said:

Forgive me if this was discussed in a different thread but I feel like I’m out of the loop - who is the consensus top in-state high school girls b-ball prospect for Nebraska, class of 2025? And has she committed to any school yet? 

The only Class B consensus all-state player is Britt Prince...and yes, she is N. 

57 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

The only Class B consensus all-state player is Britt Prince...and yes, she is N. 

Right. But she was class of 2024. I’m asking who is considered the top in-state girls basketball prospect for the class that will be seniors this fall, class of 2025. 

57 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Nets

Here's a 2025 Nebraska high school girls

https://prepgirlshoops.com/nebraska/rankings/2025-rankings/

Thanks redsteve.

So the Gessert twins are considered the top in-state prospects? Darn. I know they already committed to Creighton. I was very surprised they wouldn’t want to come to NU to play with Britt Prince.