Selection Committee Games of Interest

hhctony

5 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I'm going to struggle with the Big Ten and BTN over the next few seasons. The conference wasn't there for us when we needed them the most. And if we make it into this tournament, they shouldn't get any of the glory for getting 5 teams in.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for keeping it real and having some transparency, but they had nothing positive to say about us. It was always "they still have more work to do." Not "they've done very well in conference play, they have these stats/wins/etc., they were asked to do a lot on the road." None of that. I won't forget how this was handled by the Big Ten for awhile.

I agree with this 100%.  This is really crappy.  The Big Ten and BTN should have 100 percent supported their teams.  If I’m the head of these guys, we are going to have some serious discussions.

Firstly, it isn’t like we were getting national exposure.  Fricking all but 4 teams played all of their games on BTN in the tournament.  What needed to be a

said was “Penn State and Nebraska both deserve to go.”  “The Big 10 I believe deserves 6 teams in.”  Something along. Those lines.  Instead, we got the shaft along with Penn State.  

Exactly - they can be "realistic" without being as completely negative as they were.  I mean how hard is it to say, "I know the metrics aren't in their favor necessarily, but this has the look of a tournament team with the athleticism and toughness to do some damage."

You listen to how the studio hosts and color announcers at ESPN, FS1, etc are handling bubble teams in the games they're broadcasting this week, and it's a far different tone than what BTN had last week.  Hell, Tom Crean gave us more props with his "nope" than most of the studio hosts did last week.

I mean they could've at least assigned one guy to be on our side and PSU's side, to start a fake argument with one guy on each side of the discussion. Standard sports talk formula.

That would've been better than 3 "no way in hell"s and let's fill the rest of the halftime show talking about how great NYC and MSG are.

And it wasn't just last week. It was the last month of the season with studio hosts saying we needed to win 9 in a row and then get to the tournament final.

I don't know that a more positive tone would've helped, but it sure couldn't have hurt anything.

Edited by throwback

21 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Changing my opinion on this St. Bonaventure game.  Since RI won, I think it is a gamble worth taking that St Bonny misses the dance altogether with an ugly loss to Davidson.  When we are up against it, we need to take gambles as far as hoping more spots open up.  This is one way for that to happen.  

One outcome is St. Bonaventure losses and still makes it into the tournament (leaving the possibility of 1-3 A10 bids).

Another outcome is St. Bonaventure losses and makes it into the tournament (leaving the possibility of 1-2 A10 bids).

A third possibility gives the possibility of a 1-bid league.

Why not, @royalfan? Why not? Let's go for it.

Is the A-10 a good league? Or is it a 40-and-over-YMCA-pickup-game type of league?

Davidson has not attempted a 2-pt FG or a FT through the first 8+ minutes ... and leads St Bony 12-11. The two teams combined have made 1 2-pt FG.

I'm not sure how to interpret that.

Edited by throwback

17 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

One outcome is St. Bonaventure losses and still makes it into the tournament (leaving the possibility of 1-3 A10 bids).

Another outcome is St. Bonaventure losses and makes it into the tournament (leaving the possibility of 1-2 A10 bids).

A third possibility gives the possibility of a 1-bid league.

Why not, @royalfan? Why not? Let's go for it.

Rest assured the announcers in this one will not act like all those options are in play.  They are not BTN employees.  

I could see the committee being lazy and wanting to be working on seeding already and already having Bonny in and not willing to change it like they don't change anything for sunday games every year.  Amateur hour over there.  They are going to completely mangle this bracket.  As Bilas wisely put it.  Good men on there, but the more they talk the less sense it makes.  The words getting messed up by quadrants also came out of his mouth.  

Edited by royalfan

3 hours ago, royalfan said:

Same with me on Crean.  I really enjoyed his NBA draft coverage last year where he was on the Vertical in their studio.  And have enjoyed him since.  He would be a guy I would have interest in, if we were to separate from Miles in the near future. 

I think we've talked about it in the past here on this board, but Crean by most accounts is a good human being.  I've seen lot's of first-hand accounts on social media about things he's done for people out of the public eye.

And I definitely love him behind a desk for ESPN.  Great insight from a good coach's perspective.  He was meme-tastic as a coach, but he is great as an analyst I think.

But that could all be ending soon... Crean to UCONN anyone??????

41 minutes ago, royalfan said:

I could see the committee being lazy and wanting to be working on seeding already and already having Bonny in and not willing to change it like they don't change anything for sunday games every year.  Amateur hour over there.  They are going to completely mangle this bracket.  As Bilas wisely put it.  Good men on there, but the more they talk the less sense it makes.  The words getting messed up by quadrants also came out of his mouth.  

I think they'll have two brackets - one if Davidson wins and one if URI wins. Otherwise they'll have everything basically done tonight.

I think St Bony is definitely out if Davidson wins - that league doesn't deserve 3. (And I know the committee says it doesn't do that, handing out X number of bids per league ... but it does.) If URI wins, St Bony is a question mark like the rest of us. So St Bony really needed that one today.

Edited by throwback

If you ask PSU fans, the B1G never really accepted Penn St into its community. At least not for many years, which is why so many of them wanted us to have a conference rivalry with Penn St--to give the two orphans a playmate. 

I don't expect to get a lot of support from this conference for some years unless and until our presence can do something for them: like winning a national title in something. Even then, not sure if we'll ever "belong". 

I'm sure in about 4 generations it'll be like we've always been there! ;)

6 hours ago, throwback said:

EDIT: And Dickie V just said the SEC is the top league top to bottom in the country. Holy crap. I'm living in a crazy world. :lol:

Well, if you ignore the fact that the top two teams in that league just aren't all that good, and the two teams on the bottom absolutely stink, and the three teams above the bottom are pretty crappy, and the remaining seven teams are absolutely mediocre, he may be right.  Or maybe he's a 78 year old bullsh*t artist.