2024-25 Husker opponents

As part of ongoing preparations for the addition of four new member institutions during the 2024-25 academic year, the Big Ten Conference on Tuesday announced details regarding future regular- and postseason competition structures for men’s and women’s basketball. 

Beginning next season, both the Big Ten Men’s and Women’s Basketball Tournament fields will expand to 15 teams (from 14), a format that maintains the five-day schedule of the event, provides access to all teams in contention for postseason invitations, and will maintain a double bye for each of the top four seeds while seeds 5-9 will receive a single bye.

Both the men’s and women’s conference schedules will remain at 20 and 18 contests, respectively, for each school. This allows for non-conference scheduling flexibility, is consistent with peer schedule formats and maximizes opportunities for NCAA postseason berths. Single-play home/away locations will rotate annually, and two-play opponents will be determined with consideration for competitive balance, geography and rivalries. 

https://bigten.org/news/2024/1/30/mens-basketball-big-ten-conference-announces-future-basketball-scheduling-formats.aspx

Non-conference NU opponents:

Nov. 4 - UT Rio Grande Valley

Nov. 23 - at Creighton

Dec. 30 - Southern

Edited by AuroranHusker

4 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

So we’ll have the same double play year over year?

The "two-play opponents will be determined with consideration for competitive balance, geography and rivalries" seems like code for the 4 West Coast teams will always have their foursome together as double plays *for travel purposes*.

ACC had been using the 15-team conference tournament format for quite some time, so I suppose the B1G decided to go with that instead of expanding beyond 1 additional team. Usually there's a distinct bottom 2 to 3 teams, so now Big Ten teams will have to stay away from being the bottom of the heap if they want a shot at an improbable run to March Madness dancin'!

From another thread... I think a neutral site tourney with teams of Duquesne caliber would have been better in hindsight. Nebraska played Univ. of Oregon one year during Doc's reign at Omaha's arena, maybe NU needs to revive that idea again... Aleks Maric dominated that day.

A neutral site tourney in Omaha -- can anyone else see that as a real possibility ??

Edited by AuroranHusker

7 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

From another thread... I think a neutral site tourney with teams of Duquesne caliber would have been better in hindsight. Nebraska played Univ. of Oregon one year during Doc's reign at Omaha's arena, maybe NU needs to revive that idea again... Aleks Maric dominated that day.

A neutral site tourney in Omaha -- can anyone else see that as a real possibility ??

It makes sense given that there are plenty of basketball fans who live in Omaha and that it counts as a neutral game despite the fact it would be a home crowd.

5 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

It makes sense given that there are plenty of basketball fans who live in Omaha and that it counts as a neutral game despite the fact it would be a home crowd.

Yep, there's a lot of traffic after ballgames coming back to far eastern NE. It would be a win-win for the program, and it's happened before in '07. We're not KU in that they have proximity to KC, but Lincoln and Omaha ought to be close enough to take advantage of the arena on the Mighty Mo.

Edited by AuroranHusker

6 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Yep, there's a lot of traffic after ballgames coming back to far eastern NE. It would be a win-win for the program, and it's happened before in '07. We're not KU in that they have proximity to KC, but Lincoln and Omaha ought to be close enough to take advantage of the arena on the Mighty Mo.

TBH the biggest factor is that you'd want the PBA to be in a situation where they were too full to accommodate you because otherwise you're potentially hurting your partner. I'd suspect that us moving into the PBA is likely the biggest reason we haven't returned to Omaha.

6 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

TBH the biggest factor is that you'd want the PBA to be in a situation where they were too full to accommodate you because otherwise you're potentially hurting your partner. I'd suspect that us moving into the PBA is likely the biggest reason we haven't returned to Omaha.

Yeah, that makes sense. Maybe bring in KU & UConn to face NU & CU, a doubleheader with NU-UConn & CU-KU, and then it's a situation that CHI Health Center Omaha is the venue to create that type of seating to accommodate it. A guy can dream... it would be epic!

Edited by AuroranHusker

8 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

I have no problem with our schedule this year. Setting us nicely for the tourney if we take care of business. Looks a lot like Big12 teams to me. If we jut had one road win and kept loses closer we would be talking about seeding right now and not just making it.

Definitely agree with that. I'd just selfishly love to see a big-time matchup in Omaha, a ton of Husker fans make the drive 15-20 times a year. Throw us far eastern Nebraskans and far western Iowans a bone! lol

21 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

I wonder if we still have the floor from that game.

• 1 month later...