I blame the L on coaching...

You know, I think it's a little too soon for "blame the coach" threads.

We fired Doc Sadler less than a year-and-a-half ago.  I, for one, am not ready to ramp back up any criticism of the coaching.

It's too soon.  It really is. 

You dreamer, Norm.  :)

We fired Doc Sadler less than a year-and-a-half ago.  I, for one, am not ready to ramp back up any criticism of the coaching.

Norm, I agree with you 95% of the time.  But not here.  No doubt Miles does not deserve criticism recruiting wise just yet.  However, I have not seen signs that he can recruit and sign any better players than Doc did.  But it is still early.

But his ability to put a displined team on the court based on the last two games, is lacking.  The team chemistry and defense (or lack thereof) is horrible, and THAT is all on him.  Players will do in games what you let them get away with in practice.  While I attended many of Doc's practices, I have not attended any of Miles.  He may be a tough coach during practices but if he is, it is not translating to good shot selection, rebounding and defense.

Norm, I agree with you 95% of the time.  But not here.  No doubt Miles does not deserve criticism recruiting wise just yet.  However, I have not seen signs that he can recruit and sign any better players than Doc did.  But it is still early.

But his ability to put a displined team on the court based on the last two games, is lacking.  The team chemistry and defense (or lack thereof) is horrible, and THAT is all on him.  Players will do in games what you let them get away with in practice.  While I attended many of Doc's practices, I have not attended any of Miles.  He may be a tough coach during practices but if he is, it is not translating to good shot selection, rebounding and defense.

Good lord, just because a problem is easily identified, if the solution doesn't immediately happen, it doesn't mean someone failed.  This stuff takes awhile.  It isn't "all on him"; one can't be a friggin' miracle worker.  You can't just snap your fingers and make someone cohesive in the first road trip of the year.  These guys have never played together. Most of them have played very little D1 basketball.   I'm sure he would have loved a roster filled with talented, experienced returning players.  But he didn't.  He had to scramble to get transfers and a couple of other warm bodies to tide us over until he could get recruiting going.  So yeah, guess  what, after 15 years of failure, we will have some hiccups getting things changed.  For me, I would have been pleasantly surprised, if not shocked, if we didn't have "good shot selection, rebounding, or defense" at this point, as well as a cohesive group that has good chemistry and plays well together.  For cryin' out loud, most of these guys are transfers and Jucos--yeah, there usually is some baggage there.  One or two assimilate better than 4. 

But his ability to put a displined team on the court based on the last two games, is lacking.  The team chemistry and defense (or lack thereof) is horrible, and THAT is all on him. 

I would agree that it is on him if by the end of the season we still have the same problem.  I don't necessarily expect this inexperienced group to be so disciplined and cohesive right out of the gate. 

Listen, I'm not defending his coaching.  I'm not offering an opinion on it one way or the other.  I'm just saying after 4 or 5 years of blistering criticism of Doc, I'm just not up for it.  Too soon.  Especially when we're just a few games into a new season with a bunch of new players.

I'm always up for complaining about officials.  But officials come and they go and we don't see the same 3 guys in consecutive games ever.

But our coach has a 7-year deal.  It's too frickin' early to start in on him.  Just let it go for a bit, that's all.  He's still in his grace period AFAIC.

Roy Williams blew the game for NC last week. Occasionally he does this. He's considered a pretty good coach.

Miles won a lot of games last year through game planning. He's lost a few though as well. It's ok to praise him or call him out however you see it...that's why he gets paid the big bucks.

As I said, don't get it twisted. I love Miles. I'm surprised at what I've seen from the gameplan defensively.

These players should be an excellent defensive bunch because they are more talented. That's what's disappointing. I think Miles will get it corrected, but I think he's out thinking himself right now.