2013-2014 KenPom Rankings Thread

HuskerActuary

How can the RPI be out already without any games being played?

Gotta start somewhere, man!

No, seriously. Are these some sort of RPI season predictions? The RPI number itself comes from a formula that can't be calculated until games start being played. In fact, RPI rankings are even skewed useless until more than several games are played.

KenPom isn't RPI, which is based on games played. His preseason rankings are based on how you played last year and who's coming back this year. He also factors in performance over the last few years to give each team a sort of base. He's strictly a statistician, so his formula is back tested, meaning it has worked in the past with proven results. Past performance is not guaranteed to repeat, however.

Well, we're movin' on up!

A 36 spot jump and out of the cellar in the B1G!

Kenpom rankings as of 11-09-13.
==============================

B1G (0-0):
2. Michigan State

7. Ohio State

11. Iowa

12. Michigan

19. Wisconsin
23. Indiana
31. Minnesota
37. Purdue

49. Illinois
83. Penn State

87. Nebraska

89. Northwestern

Non-Conference (1-0):
151. Florida Gulf Coast - W
254. Western Illinois
345. South Carolina State

---Charleston Classic---
64. Umass
21./84. New Mexico/UAB

80./105./94./90. Clemson/Davidson/Georgia/Temple

332. Northern Illinois

---B1G/ACC Challenge---

79. Miami

16. @Creighton

189. Arkansas State
343. The Citadel
43. @Cincinnati

Other teams of interest:

41. Maryland (0-1)

109. Rutgers (1-0)

How can the RPI be out already without any games being played?

Gotta start somewhere, man!
No, seriously. Are these some sort of RPI season predictions? The RPI number itself comes from a formula that can't be calculated until games start being played. In fact, RPI rankings are even skewed useless until more than several games are played.

KenPom isn't RPI, which is based on games played. His preseason rankings are based on how you played last year and who's coming back this year. He also factors in performance over the last few years to give each team a sort of base. He's strictly a statistician, so his formula is back tested, meaning it has worked in the past with proven results. Past performance is not guaranteed to repeat, however.

Yes. We know about kenpom. This mini discussion was in reference to a post that said CBS had a preseason RPI out before any games were played, which is not possible.

After the first weekend of action there's good news and bad news.  We're still moving up, but we're back to last in the B1G.

Precipitous drops for Miami, Iowa and Purdue.  BIG jump up for Umass.  Charleston Classic looks like it's going to be a hefty test for our young Huskers.

Kenpom rankings as of 11-11-13.

B1G (0-0):
2. Michigan State

5. Ohio State

11. Michigan

16. Wisconsin

22. Indiana

23. Iowa

31. Minnesota

44. Illinois
59. Purdue

75. Penn State

80. Northwestern

85. Nebraska

Non-Conference (1-0):
157. Florida Gulf Coast - W
255. Western Illinois
341. South Carolina State

---Charleston Classic---
37. Umass
17./83. New Mexico/UAB

81./93./90./86. Clemson/Davidson/Georgia/Temple

331. Northern Illinois

---B1G/ACC Challenge---

95. Miami

14. @Creighton

192. Arkansas State
345. The Citadel
47. @Cincinnati

Other teams of interest:

35. Maryland (0-1)

122. Rutgers (1-0)

looking like our bracket for the charleston tournament might be the nastiest. that one's going to be a good learning experience however it goes, but I think we should be good enough to pull down at least one win.

I was on the same wavelength, tcp.  I was thinking if we can slip past UMass, we probably lose to New Mex, but are likely even money with or better than whoever we'd face in game three.  Key will be getting past UMass.  Do that and we finish in the top half of the tourney.

looking like our bracket for the charleston tournament might be the nastiest. that one's going to be a good learning experience however it goes, but I think we should be good enough to pull down at least one win.

I was on the same wavelength, tcp.  I was thinking if we can slip past UMass, we probably lose to New Mex, but are likely even money with or better than whoever we'd face in game three.  Key will be getting past UMass.  Do that and we finish in the top half of the tourney.

the neat thing is that even a loss to UMass gets us into a winnable bracket. While I'd love to upset the Minutemen obviously, it's not necessarily a bad thing if we drop straight into the losers bracket after round one. i can't believe how geeked this team has gotten me for this season already.

hey, on a side note Norm, you notice the absence of the patented "drought" in the last game? Something to watch with this team.

I was on the same wavelength, tcp. I was thinking if we can slip past UMass, we probably lose to New Mex, but are likely even money with or better than whoever we'd face in game three. Key will be getting past UMass. Do that and we finish in the top half of the tourney.

the neat thing is that even a loss to UMass gets us into a winnable bracket. While I'd love to upset the Minutemen obviously, it's not necessarily a bad thing if we drop straight into the losers bracket after round one. i can't believe how geeked this team has gotten me for this season already.

hey, on a side note Norm, you notice the absence of the patented "drought" in the last game? Something to watch with this team.

A drought like the ones we used to have may not even be possible with the new points of emphasis on perimeter fouls. But I like our team and the guards who will drawing all those fouls.

I was on the same wavelength, tcp. I was thinking if we can slip past UMass, we probably lose to New Mex, but are likely even money with or better than whoever we'd face in game three. Key will be getting past UMass. Do that and we finish in the top half of the tourney.

A drought like the ones we used to have may not even be possible with the new points of emphasis on perimeter fouls. But I like our team and the guards who will drawing all those fouls.

I thought we kind of finished up with one.  After we pulled out to the 70-40 lead we were outscored 15-9.  We probably should have won by at least 30.  But who's complaining?

Oh, what a difference a year makes.  Take a look at the Pomeroy rankings from exactly one year ago and then compare them to where we are at today.  If you can't be excited about that progress, well I don't know what'll do it for you!  Anyway, on to the big movers and shakers on our schedule.

It appears we are in a knockdown/dragout with PSU and Northwestern right now at the bottom of the league, KenPom wise.  Looking up however, Purdue, and even Illinois and Indiana are not that far away.  Right now there appears to be two distinct tiers of teams in the league.

Notables:  Indiana drops 20 spots.  Temple drops 30.  Miami and Davidson both drop 40 spots!!  Right now it looks like, to me, that Charleston is shaping up to be a pretty solid 2-1 proposition.  If things roll just right, we could be staring at 7-1 right in the face going into Creighton!!!  And now, the rankings:

Kenpom rankings as of 11-13-13.

B1G (0-0):
2. Michigan State

6. Ohio State

11. Wisconsin

15. Michigan

23. Iowa

25. Minnesota

42. Indiana

46. Illinois

59. Purdue

75. Penn State

76. Nebraska

78. Northwestern

Non-Conference (2-0):
133. Florida Gulf Coast - W
262. Western Illinois - W
340. South Carolina State

---Charleston Classic---
44. Umass
18./92. New Mexico/UAB

79./138./89./115. Clemson/Davidson/Georgia/Temple

333. Northern Illinois

---B1G/ACC Challenge---

132. Miami

17. @Creighton

195. Arkansas State
329. The Citadel
41. @Cincinnati

Other teams of interest:

38. Maryland (0-1)

112. Rutgers (1-1)

"Right now it looks like, to me, that Charleston is shaping up to be a pretty solid 2-1 proposition.  If things roll just right, we could be staring at 7-1 right in the face going into Creighton!!!"

It'd be cool if one of the 2 in the 2-1 record would be a W against UMass.  That'd be a nice way to start things off in Charleston.

In honor of Penn State's loss to Bucknell, and our subsequent elevation to #10 in the B1G KenPom pecking order, I bring to you today's special edition!

Kenpom rankings as of 11-14-13.

B1G (0-0):
2. Michigan State

6. Ohio State

12. Wisconsin

14. Michigan

22. Iowa

28. Minnesota

42. Indiana

45. Illinois

50. Purdue

75. Nebraska

80. Northwestern

111. Penn State

Non-Conference (2-0):
125. Florida Gulf Coast - W
263. Western Illinois - W
340. South Carolina State

---Charleston Classic---
44. Umass
18./89. New Mexico/UAB

64./137./87./112. Clemson/Davidson/Georgia/Temple

332. Northern Illinois

---B1G/ACC Challenge---

131. Miami

17. @Creighton

199. Arkansas State
336. The Citadel
41. @Cincinnati

Other teams of interest:

38. Maryland (0-1)

113. Rutgers (1-1)

251. Omaha (2-1)

cbs and real time have us in a two dozen way tie for 51st!

Hey, baby, that's like top 50 in my book.

If the season ended today, we'd be in!

Not with automatic qualifiers!

We still have much work to do...but you can't climb Mt. Everest without first getting to the base.

cbs and real time have us in a two dozen way tie for 51st!

Hey, baby, that's like top 50 in my book.

If the season ended today, we'd be in!

Not with automatic qualifiers!

We still have much work to do...but you can't climb Mt. Everest without first getting to the base.

For a second there I thought you mixed metaphors.  I switched "first" and "getting to."