Fox Sports starting post season tournament to compete with the NIT

8 hours ago, nustudent said:

The idea that I like is you forfeit a chance at the postseason the following year if you turn down the NIT bid.   That’ll keep the fringe teams like St Johns in.   

Two issues I see with this. Don't know how this works with the portal dates as they currently are. Gonna have teams there with a bare bones roster. The other issue is generally when you make people do something they don't want to they're not gonna give the greatest effort. Or it makes the transfer decision for the player easier to make sooner. 

17 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Eliminate the NIT. Add 28 teams to the tournament so the bottom 64 have a play in game on Tue or Wed at higher seed. Top 32 get a bye.  Or just expand to 128 teams if you don't like the bye. Keep the CBI or the new tournament for your mid major schools that don't make the tournament.

Or just take the best 64 teams...

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Or just take the best 64 teams...

I do like that you are not watering down the tournament with 64 teams but with all the automatic bids that go to mid major conference winners (which I support) there are some very good teams that do not make the tournament, especially if there are upsets in conference tournament play.  I thought bumping it up to 96 would still give you about 33% of teams making the tournament.  I believe in football it is 55% of the teams that make a bowl game, which has become a joke, and I don't want basketball to fall into that same system.  Even if you go to 128 it is still under the percentage of football teams that make a bowl game.  Baseball has 64 teams that make a regional, but there are fewer baseball teams than basketball.

10 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Two issues I see with this. Don't know how this works with the portal dates as they currently are. Gonna have teams there with a bare bones roster. The other issue is generally when you make people do something they don't want to they're not gonna give the greatest effort. Or it makes the transfer decision for the player easier to make sooner. 

I understand that.  But at the same time, the portal affects everyone a little different.    And forcing them to do something they don’t want to do doesn’t mean much.  It’s a mediocre level of basketball in the grand scheme of it.   The team that wins the NIT won’t be left out.