KANSAS GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

We have an All B1G guard who only scored 5 points in 35 minutes.  I think a lot of our threes were contested because Williams said we rushed our shots.  Who is going to score inside other than Markowski?  

Or rebound.....     Couldn't watch the game so have to look at stats....so guessing a bit....

Markowski had about as many rebounds as the other 4 starters combined, and as many as the entire bench. She was game high for both teams in points and rebounds.  Not bragging for Markowski, rather real concerned about her being the only one Kansas couldn't stop. (few teams can stop Markowski as far as that's concerned)

Only could see on my phone the score stats and but when Markowski went to bench at about the beginning of 2nd, the score was tied at at 14 or so. In about 6-7 min, Kansas was ahead by 10 or so. (time could be off)

Apparently our guard offensive scheme we're running can be compromised with quick defenders. There are offenses that feature shooting guards. They do exist.

So what's our answer? Playing so many weak teams in preseason doesn't help develop the team.

We seem to be a "momentum" team. When everything's going great...we're good to go. But need to be able to fight back and overcome.  Maybe just a bad day on the job, and we'll be ok, but it's frustrating. 

4 hours ago, caveman said:

We actually had more rebounds, less turnovers and as many assists.  I wish I could have seen the game.  By the numbers we should have won.  Poor shooting was the problem.  The question is did we take poor shots or were they just not falling?  Here is my problem.  When you have one of the nations top shooters by percentage, why is she only getting 3 shots.

Horrible percentages shooting. And yes, need to actually see what was going on.

We need to be smart in our shot selection. AM going 0-4 in 3 point attempts is not her shot, period. She needs to stay in the paint and make them foul her. We had no FT attempts in the first half. I think Petrie, and Potts can both be good paint players but we do need to help them some at this point. That in turn can open up the outside shot. Also we can't just camp out at the 3 point line. Use some screens, double screens to help get our shooters open. We have 10 days to figure this out before Maryland comes in. 

I sadly had to turn to a different game. The fact that White and Shelly can do the turnovers they do with the experience just rubs me the wrong way. Shelly was so damn lazy on defense.  I have been on the new coach train for a couple 3 years now but the effort that some of these girls can put out is mind boggling and is on them if you ask me. KM & Hake were zero help yesterday. I wish they would be more consistent. Amy has got to figure out a way to get potts and nissley involved more. I think they will be the key to how the season goes for us. 

6 hours ago, caveman said:

We actually had more rebounds, less turnovers and as many assists.  I wish I could have seen the game.  By the numbers we should have won.  Poor shooting was the problem.  The question is did we take poor shots or were they just not falling?  Here is my problem.  When you have one of the nations top shooters by percentage, why is she only getting 3 shots.

I did watch the game on ESPN +  where Brenda Vanlengen was one of the announcers and is one of the best.  She had a lot of insight on the game as it progressed.  Many of our shots we took were poor primarily due to Kansas defense with their quick and physical guards.  For example almost all of Shelly's three attempts were off balance and deep.  Kansas had us scouted to a T.  Their center patrolled the middle and when we took the bal to the hoop we were stymied and since we don't pull up for mid length jumpers we looked pretty bad inside as well.  Markowski absolutely needs to stay out of foul trouble and should never have had the offensive third foul.  

3 hours ago, caveman said:

The big problem is going forward it really puts us behind the 8 ball.  Win we have to be around .500 for conference.  Now we have to go 10-8 minimum and more likely 11-7 to go dancing in March 

I agree and it’s going to be a challenge for our squad.

I guess I am unsure of the expectations for the squad this season.  I always think in terms of top quarter in the  league and a run in the NCAA tournament.   But I'm not convinced that is a correct expectation this year.

* we lost, arguably, one of our top three players to injury;

* our top reserve has been out due to injury;

* three of our go-to players are true freshmen;

* one of our rotational players has been absent while tending to volleyball issues;

* our experienced depth is under-performing.

All of the above are excuses.  You can cover some of the issues with schemes, and some can be hard luck.  And yes, recruiting and player development are quick answers.

I do not mind our schemes, although our execution has been sub-par.  I like our recruiting catches both last year and this year.

If I could bag on the coaches (and players) it would be to improve execution and hold teammates and staff accountable.   I admire the unity this team has YET someone needs to step to the front and start chirping about responsibility and accountability.   That may include shortening the bench and losing a couple players who should not play; but that is what comes with execution, responsibility and accountability. 

One of the best moments of the game was when Logan Nissley made a 3 point shot on a quick catch and shoot.  Our guards including Shelley are not adept on catch and shoot shots or doing pull up jumpers.  Our guards need to be more ready and not hesitate to drive to the basket to shoot and maybe get fouled.    Haiby was a pro at doing  this.   I am not a basketball coach but it seems that we have a poor scheme for our offense (even if there is one).  Defensively a better defense is needed to stop the dribble drives through the middle for lay ups.  Once again Williams got out coached as after having played KU twice last year we should not have been surprised by what they did.

I was there, one third of the way up and near center court, to witness this melt down in person.  Well, maybe not quite a "melt down", but certainly a failure to launch anything close to execution of a succeedable game plan.  Observations:

• by far the most noticeable factor was inability to match the speed, quickness, and mobility of KU.  The guards of course, but really at all positions.
  • offensively we need to develop ability to use the pull up jumper and the drive to the basket instead of just choosing between working the ball to the post or casting up threes. Shelly and White have shown ability to do this, but I didn't see it Wednesday night. 
  • the unfortunate and questionable 3rd foul against AM seemed more important at the time it was called than when viewed in the context of the rest of the game. IoW, when the game was over, I doubted that not having called it would have made any difference,
  • the performances of the Kendalls were, once again, disappointing and it's surprising to me that at this point their size and apparent athleticism has not resulted in greater effectiveness. 
  • Therefore, I hope for more minutes for #2. She is a constant offensive threat and reasonably sound on defense.  She may benefit from more sustained periods on the floor allowing her to really get into the flow.
  • AM works harder than any other Husker player I can remember.