Scarlet Shootaround Podcast / Nick Bahe's Hoops Preview

I came across this new Nebrasketball pod. Hadn't heard of it before. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about the season--most concerned about PG.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/scarlet-shootaround/id1711142089

Also, Nick Bahe just came out with his Nebraska hoops season preview as well.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/nick-bahe-podcast/id1475903567?i=1000633103708

I've listened to the Nick Bahe one - was super encouraged by his comments regarding seeing practice. In summary, he basically said he's been all around the country watching practices in preparation for games - and Hoiberg and staff are running as good of a practice as anyone else is. Super organized, high energy and intensity, everyone is engaged and all business. Said our practices are tough, physical, competitive, etc... That's good to hear. He also touched on the fact that he believes Hoiberg and co. have made a massive shift in culture and essentially last year was year one for the program, in a way. And it's clear the culture has carried over and is the main emphasis. 

Just being honest.... everyone is so worried about our "point guard." That, to me, just seems like something for the sports media people to talk about. What even is a point guard anymore? Do they mean they're worried we don't have a lead guard who can create and score? I mean it's not 1992 anymore, no one walks the ball up the court holding a "1" up on their hand while dribbling stationary at half court and executes a set. It's no longer the situation where a "point guard" is this coach-on-the-floor guy with a buzz cut and doesn't shoot, but distributes the ball and whatnot. 

Are they saying they're worried we don't have a lead, ball-screen manipulator? Are they saying we don't have a "get an outlet and fly down the court for a lay-up" guy? I'm just not sure what everyone is envisioning we need. Hoiberg's offense is a motion-based, 5-out, interchangeable offense that is more predicated on off-ball movement, and reading screens. It's not a dribble drive, spread 'em out, set one ball screen and see who can create, type of offense. What we're going to see is basically Mast stepping in the Walker role, distributing around the elbow/top of key into split and zoom actions.  

32 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I've listened to the Nick Bahe one - was super encouraged by his comments regarding seeing practice. In summary, he basically said he's been all around the country watching practices in preparation for games - and Hoiberg and staff are running as good of a practice as anyone else is. Super organized, high energy and intensity, everyone is engaged and all business. Said our practices are tough, physical, competitive, etc... That's good to hear. He also touched on the fact that he believes Hoiberg and co. have made a massive shift in culture and essentially last year was year one for the program, in a way. And it's clear the culture has carried over and is the main emphasis. 

Just being honest.... everyone is so worried about our "point guard." That, to me, just seems like something for the sports media people to talk about. What even is a point guard anymore? Do they mean they're worried we don't have a lead guard who can create and score? I mean it's not 1992 anymore, no one walks the ball up the court holding a "1" up on their hand while dribbling stationary at half court and executes a set. It's no longer the situation where a "point guard" is this coach-on-the-floor guy with a buzz cut and doesn't shoot, but distributes the ball and whatnot. 

Are they saying they're worried we don't have a lead, ball-screen manipulator? Are they saying we don't have a "get an outlet and fly down the court for a lay-up" guy? I'm just not sure what everyone is envisioning we need. Hoiberg's offense is a motion-based, 5-out, interchangeable offense that is more predicated on off-ball movement, and reading screens. It's not a dribble drive, spread 'em out, set one ball screen and see who can create, type of offense. What we're going to see is basically Mast stepping in the Walker role, distributing around the elbow/top of key into split and zoom actions.  

Exactly. We often advance the ball with a pass anyway. It doesn't matter who initiates the offense. Once in the halfcourt, Hoiberg's system is what generates looks for players, as opposed to individual guards trying to create. This is why Coleman is stuck towards the end of the rotation right now. He appears to be more of a Miles guard than a Hoiberg guard. The ball sticks in his hands and he dribbles without a purpose at times. Might be hard to break these habits, seeing how he's played this way for 4 years. He'll look like a mini-Palmer against Doane and some non-con teams, but it is not sustainable in this system against Big Ten teams. Can't have it. 

58 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I guess what I'm concerned about (and I can't speak for anyone else) is that we just need a guy who runs our sh!t.

Last year, we had a PG who got everyone moving in the same direction (figuratively, not literally). On the same page, if you will. The ball didn't stop in his hands. It kept moving. Unless a situation developed later in the clock where he had a mismatch on a smaller guard and could back him down to post him up. But, other than that, we'd keep the ball moving, we'd get the defense shifting from side to side or high to low with our action, and fairly quickly, we'd get an open look.

At times, it broke down. There were a few "hero ball" occasions last year and they didn't typically go real well. But a lot fewer of those last year than in years 1-3. And I don't want to see us revert back. Those were dark days. So, anyway, that's what I want. I want a primary ballhandler who's committed to running our sh!t.

3 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Agree to a point, not concerned who brings it up or who starts our offense. I do want to see how we handle pressure (it’s nice to have a guy you just clear out for) and what we do when the shot clock gets low. Who can create a shot. 

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I guess what I'm concerned about (and I can't speak for anyone else) is that we just need a guy who runs our sh!t.

Last year, we had a PG who got everyone moving in the same direction (figuratively, not literally). On the same page, if you will. The ball didn't stop in his hands. It kept moving. Unless a situation developed later in the clock where he had a mismatch on a smaller guard and could back him down to post him up. But, other than that, we'd keep the ball moving, we'd get the defense shifting from side to side or high to low with our action, and fairly quickly, we'd get an open look.

At times, it broke down. There were a few "hero ball" occasions last year and they didn't typically go real well. But a lot fewer of those last year than in years 1-3. And I don't want to see us revert back. Those were dark days. So, anyway, that's what I want. I want a primary ballhandler who's committed to running our sh!t.

I feel like "having the ball move and not getting stuck in anyone's hands," and "a primary ball-handler" are non-congruent things. 

Am I misunderstanding what you're saying? 

30 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I feel like "having the ball move and not getting stuck in anyone's hands," and "a primary ball-handler" are non-congruent things. 

Am I misunderstanding what you're saying? 

I don't think the two concepts are mutually exclusive.

Last year, for example, when Griesel was on the floor, he was our primary ballhandler. His job was to bring the ball up the floor after change of possession, and then it's his call where to make that first pass to initiate the offense. Or maybe just attack the rim. 

After he passes it off, though, it's not like he cuts to the corner like one of our designated shooters. He typically remains out high near the top of the key or ball-side wing to get a return pass.  I don't have the data, but the eye-test tells me any possession longer than 2-3 passes, the ball would typically come back to him and touch his hands more than anyone else's. Eye test also tells me our offense clicked better with him on the floor.

So, to me, the primary ballhandler is the guy who's going to be making most of the decisions about where the ball is going. It might not stay in his hands long, but it's going to touch his hands more than anyone else's. And he, therefore, needs to be someone who makes good decisions. And sticks with the program rather than the iso, freelance, hero ball stuff we'd seen years prior.

Does that make sense?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...