Off-season off topic: The days of the week

Listened to the 80s segment and this is what I came up with:

Dead or Alive: Brand New Lover

Tommy two tone: Angel say no

John Waite had another solo song but can't think of it

Ah Ha: The sun always shines on TV

Flock of seagulls: Space Age love song and another that escapes me

And two groups that released greatest hits albums!

Madness: It must be love, House of fun and One step beyond

And Devo, a band that has been voted in the top 100 most influential artists as a one hit wonder?

Through being cool, girl you want, beautiful world, freedom of choice

52 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Listened to the 80s segment and this is what I came up with:

Dead or Alive: Brand New Lover

Tommy two tone: Angel say no

John Waite had another solo song but can't think of it

Ah Ha: The sun always shines on TV

Flock of seagulls: Space Age love song and another that escapes me

And two groups that released greatest hits albums!

Madness: It must be love, House of fun and One step beyond

And Devo, a band that has been voted in the top 100 most influential artists as a one hit wonder?

Through being cool, girl you want, beautiful world, freedom of choice

Being a one-hit wonder says nothing about the talent level or greatness of a band or artist. 

It literally means they have one hit on the Billboard Hot 100 chart (generally speaking, a “hit” can be defined as a song that makes the top 40, though that’s not a definite). Or it can mean they are only remembered for one song (as is the case for the artists you’ve listed, evidenced by the fact you can’t remember the names of some of the songs). 

Just because you can name a bunch of Devo songs and they’re important in the history of pop music doesn’t mean they’re not a one-hit wonder. 

Buffalo Springfield is technically (for lack of a better word) a one-hit wonder, and they’re in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. 

Just because a group releases a “Greatest Hits” album doesn’t mean they’re not a one-hit wonder (or that they had many hits at all…or any). It merely means they think they can resell the same songs to their audience on a different record. 

Heck, Weird Al had put out TWO greatest hits albums ten years before his one and only top-10 hit. 

Edited by atskooc

38 minutes ago, atskooc said:

Being a one-hit wonder says nothing about the talent level or greatness of a band or artist. 

It literally means they have one hit on the Billboard Hot 100 chart (generally speaking, a “hit” can be defined as a song that makes the top 40, though that’s not a definite). 

Just because you can name a bunch of Devo songs and they’re important in the history of pop music doesn’t mean they’re not a one-hit wonder. 

Buffalo Springfield is technically a one-hit wonder, and they’re in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. 

And just because a group releases a “Greatest Hits” album doesn’t mean they’re not a one-hit wonder (or that they had many hits at all…or any). It merely means they think they can resell the same songs to their audience on a different record. 

Heck, Weird Al had put out TWO greatest hits albums ten years before his one and only top-10 hit. 

Other songs on billboard charts that the segment did not mention:

Madness 33, 72

Dead or Alive 15, 69

Flock of Seagulls 19, 83

Devo  43, 59

A-Ha 20, 50

Tommy Tutone 38

Making all those groups non one hit wonders.  I was listing songs that I remember them releasing, which was what I said we should do in my original post. 

2 hours ago, cipsucks said:

Possibly on life support, but this thread still has a heartbeat.  A long haired Ted Nugent.  🙂

This is closer to the time when he was of the age when he could legally have sex with 17-year-olds. 

And well before he wrote songs about having sex with 13-year-olds. 

So there’s that. 

On 7/13/2023 at 8:14 AM, BigTate said:

Bright Eyes with Emmylou Harris on backing vocals. Great Omaha band!

I’ve never been a Conner Oberst fan but I love ❤️ Emmylou. Saw her on the “O Brother” Tour with All the other Bluegrass artists. Even Ralph Stanley. 

Edited by Handy Johnson