New Coach Thread

huskerchode

Okay I'll throw my name out there Tony Verde he was an assistant for Yuri and then went to Kansas I don't know where he's at now but that might be someone to look into also

It's Tory Verdi and we don't want him. He's currently at Eastern Washington.

http://journalstar.com/gallery/huskers/photos-connie-yori-s-nebraska-career/collection_087590c3-943a-58f0-aefd-40c0b0c5e7e1.html#11

I think I was right in that Verdi's first name is Tony.

I'm Nicea Eliely's dad & we've spoken to 2 of the assistants. So far we're still committed to NU bc it's such a great place/University/program. We'll see who the new head coach will be, but we're mainly hopeful that the current assistant coaching staff stays. Britney Brown was one of the main reasons we committed to NU. She began recruiting Nicea when she was at Tulsa and after she came to Nebraska she followed Nicea & had Connie come watch her play which led to them offering her a scholarship. Either way we hope the process goes quickly & smoothly. It will be challenging for everybody seeing as we're (incoming freshman) are due to report in June for summer classes & workouts. We're just as intrigued as all of you guys!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I'd like to welcome Actualfacts1also. It's been interesting and fun to learn more about your all star since we found out about her committing to the program. I think I speak for most Husker fans when I say we hope everything works out for Nicea here and she has a fantastic career as a Husker.

Thank you very much Row6Seat10! We're still committed to NU so we're hoping for the best as far as the hiring process goes..I will say though that it's absolutely crazy how our phones are blowing up again though. All the coaches who recruited Nicea have reached out offering "advice". We've gotten 4 schools already with offers back on the table. We just hope most/all of the current girls are willing to come back; and the 5 incoming recruits are willing to stay on board. I guess we'll all have a better idea when the next coach is hired!

Check out the roster on the women's web site. The 2016-17 signees are already on the roster.

There is no Connie Yori listed.

Also, the men don't have 2016-17 listed. This tells me that it's purposeful, not accidental.

We didn't shutdown the program..we're going to have a team next year.  Everyone who isn't graduating is still enrolled in school and unless I've missed it, no one has made it known they are going to transfer. All 5 of the incoming freshmen have signed LOI and thus regardless of what has happened with Yori they're currently bound to the university unless they request the letter be cancelled, which the university will undoubtedly do.

Hopefully we can find a coach along the same coaching caliber as CY and do so relatively quickly and this will mean most to all will stay with Nebraska. Some will probably go (which might have happened anyway as this is college basketball we're talking about) and we'll just have to adjust.  We're a school with great academics, great facilities, and great fans...we'll get through this.

I will say one thing though..Coach Yori sent Nicea a long & very heartfelt text this afternoon. Among many things, she apologized for "turning her world upside down." It was a very sincere & apologetic text. I'm sure she made some mistakes, but we also believe the situation was related more to her divorce, etc..I know I played college basketball & I lost count to how many times we were over trained. I can remember one time our coach made us report to the campus swimming pool at 430 am bc a couple guys had missed classes. If you couldn't swim he had life vests lol. We conditioned in that freezing cold pool for almost 2 hours! Then had workouts at 8 am, and practice at 2 pm. I'm pretty sure that was a violation - and that's just 1 example. The difference there was that it was a small D-II school so they didn't have the money to investigate; or really much care if a player complained. And we never did bc we just accepted it as "bball life". I still visit my old coach - love that guy. Lol...I know it's a different era nowadays, but just my thoughts as all the rumors swirl about Connie...again though, we look forward to the next step in NU women's basketball!

Check out the roster on the women's web site. The 2016-17 signees are already on the roster.

There is no Connie Yori listed.

Also, the men don't have 2016-17 listed. This tells me that it's purposeful, not accidental.

We didn't shutdown the program..we're going to have a team next year.  Everyone who isn't graduating is still enrolled in school and unless I've missed it, no one has made it known they are going to transfer. All 5 of the incoming freshmen have signed LOI and thus regardless of what has happened with Yori they're currently bound to the university unless they request the letter be cancelled which the university will undoubtedly do.

Hopefully we can find a coach along the same coaching caliber as CY and do so relatively quickly and this will mean most to all will stay with Nebraska. Some will probably go (which might have happened anyway as this is college basketball we're talking about) and we'll just have to adjust.  We're a school with great academics, great facilities, and great fans...we'll get through this.

Greisch is the one who updates that information. He usually has incoming freshman listed on the roster by this time of the year. Don't read too much into it.

There's no way Walz is coming back to Lincoln. Why would a guy making ~$1 million, been to two National Title games, who has a solid stream of top-50 recruits, is at a school known for basketball and has given him full support and great facilities, come here to clean up this mess?

And the Geno suggestion is just laughable. For that matter, we're not getting Kim Mulkey or Tara or Brenda Frese or the like.

You need a relatively young coach, and someone who is going to improve their situation by coming here. You need someone who can recruit the midwest, and who can at least maintain the success Yori has had here (e.g. 2nd round or Sweet 16 of NCAA tournamet). Mike Neighbors at Washington is a good suggestion: he's from Arkansas, so he's from the central part of the country; he was an assistant at Xavier with Kevin McGuff (remember we played that team in the tourney when they had Amber Harris?); and he has turned Washington around, taking them to the Final Four and showed he could recruit. 

Hello to Nicea Eliely's dad (Actualfacts1)...  Welcome. 

Is there room for a Fifth welcome.gif  to-the-board? 

It seems so unusual to have the parents of players involved in the discussions.  I know that Dlrrk has added a lot to the forum over the past year; and now you Actualfacts1.  Both of your presence enhances our experiences as fans!  I hope our appreciation of your kids efforts increases your enjoyment of watching them play!

My Geno suggestion was not close to being serious.

Unfortunately you're not the only person I've seen make that suggestion, and they've been dead-serious :/

jcsidibe23, welcome to the board! Post often.

Yet, noting your new posting status , I will warn you: this board can be very cryptic. 

I haven't taken any of the messengers that posted about Geno as having been serious. Often, you need to have an understanding of the posters. There are many inside jokes and references (and a few trolls).

Thanks for being here and caring.

Unfortunately you're not the only person I've seen make that suggestion, and they've been dead-serious :/

Yet, noting your new posting status , I will warn you: this board can be very cryptic. 

I haven't taken any of the messengers that posted about Geno as having been serious. Often, you need to have an understanding of the posters. There are many inside jokes and references.

Oh some of us are just dumber than a mud fence!

I haven't taken any of the messengers that posted about Geno as having been serious. Often, you need to have an understanding of the posters. There are many inside jokes and references.

Ah, ok. Good to know! 

Keep an eye out of what develops out of South Dakota today. Both the Journal Star and channel 10/11 reported Amy Williams has been contacted by the U. One would think she would put out a statement to the South Dakota fans as soon as possible and squash that report if it wasn't true. If it is fact she may not address it at this time.

Oh some of us are just dumber than a mud fence!

I prefer this

Keep an eye out of what develops out of South Dakota today. Both the Journal Star and channel 10/11 reported Amy Williams has been contacted by the U. One would think she would put out a statement to the South Dakota fans as soon as possible and squash that report if it wasn't true. If it is fact she may not address it at this time.

gusso family is a class act. her post WNIT video is just another example. i would be very surprised if she doesn't let the yote fans know one way or the other very, very soon. she has a lot of respect for them------and they love her.

If she does leave USD for NU, I wonder if any of her USD commits will look elsewhere.  Not sure if 2017 Myah Selland actually verballed to USD (there is a rumor that she has), and then there is Nebraska's own Rylie Cascio Jensen that signed her NLI last November for the 2016 class.

re: myah selling   according to her and her family, she has not committed anywhere, but, it does appear it will be between usd and sdsu. appears she likes both places. having hip surgery and won't be playing summer ball. 

For those that know, how does Williams style of play compare to what Yori used?  I realize Williams is still not our coach and may not be, but are the styles similar, the same or completely different?

amy williams is rather high energy on the sidelines. she has a more controlled demeanor with her interviews. her usd squad played rather high tempo, especially on defense. the offense seemed to be at their best when they could get up and down the court. i think coach williams brings a "get after it" style of play---probably not all that different from what the gals play now. as far as that goes, i think she would be a pretty good fit for this squad.