2014 recruits

Row6Seat10

very sad.  a bottom six coming in and stealing two from our back yard.  how can we not get serious looks with the arena, training facility and a sweet 16 caliber team already in place.  is there any recruit we are close to landing.  many teams have already filled and we cannot seem to land one.

I guess I can dislike Illinois more now that she is going to Illinios . Just like I cheer harder against Purdue.

Or, how much influence did it have on her with the Michigan gal coming in this year and Shepard the year after?  Maybe she didn't want to really compete?

That is a thought, But if you are a player you want to be pushed.

I'm not a fan of the Illini style of play or its coach.  She must know what she's doing, but from a distance it seems strange for a small town Nebraska girl going to a huge school a long way away.  To each his own, I guess.   I'm a Nebraskan through and through, so I always struggle to see why anyone would leave.

In the Omaha World Herald story, Todd Weber who is Chatrice's high scchool coach stated that he felt that she was never going to come to Nebraska.  She has always wanted to leave the state.  Not much you can do about that. 

And Matt Boldt, the Illinois coach, seems to have made some has in-roads into small Nebraska High Schools.  Sadie Murran was commited to Wisconsin-Green Bay until Boldt left for Illinois and released Sadie from her commitment. Chatrice would have committed to him at Green Bay but it was not a BSC school.  And he has already recruited the Kissenger girl from Minden and has gotten a commtment from a Coucil Bluffs girl. 

well, i have never been real fond of the "why not? we have a new facility and best this and best that..." crowd. sometimes it is just not enough. no secret that winning is the top denominator. if yori can keep getting to ncaa and make sweet 16 appearances,(if not make it further), you will attract very good to top talent. yes, you would like to keep the in-state talent, and, it appears she has done a pretty good job of doing that. until i hear or read that this staff does not have a good relationship with in-state hs coaches, i won't worry too much.

think we can use univ of minn as an example---when it comes to a new facility. they thought building a new football stadium was gonna help cure their "ills". well, it's what, going on year 4 now? while program has improved a bit, they have a long ways to go. a new facility doesn't turn things around "overnight". still have to put "w's" on the board.

Thought I read in an article (possibly OWH) a few weeks ago that White wanted to play right away, didn't want the possibility of a redshirt, and that was why she narrowed the list. Could be why Nebraska wasn't truly in the running considering some of the players we have coming in.

Thought I read in an article (possibly OWH) a few weeks ago that White wanted to play right away, didn't want the possibility of a redshirt, and that was why she narrowed the list. Could be why Nebraska wasn't truly in the running considering some of the players we have coming in.

Actually, she might have more trouble getting playing time at Illinois, with all the young players it is bringing in (although I don't know how many of the 7 newcomers are post players).  When one considers the "players we have coming in", Shepard is the only true post player, and even she has versatility.  If White is good enough, we have plenty of room for her to play, and there is no way she should have been scared off by any players we have signed.  Depsite her height, Havers isn't an inside, physical,back to the basket post player, plus she's a bit of a project. 

Playing right away should haved been a plus for Nebraska, given the dearth of post players in the program and among our signees and verbals.  It sounds like she just wanted to go out of state and experience something new.

Moving on with the 2014 recruiting picture I see where Natalie Romeo has garnered a lot more offers after she played and starred in the Boo Williams Nike national AAU tournament a few weeks ago. She now has new offers from USC, Washington, Louisville, Ohio St, Oregon, and possibly California, to go along Arizona, Utah and Nebraska and many others.

And it looks like Mariya Moore the 6' guard out of Salesian High School in Hercules, CA who the Huskers were interested in now has an offer list and the Huskers aren't on it.

still trying to figure out why we cannot seem to get players on our board.  my guess is that 2014 will turn out like the last two.

- we Theriot and nothing else from the list

- waited patiently last year saw the whole list evaporate.  then we kind of lucked into Miss Havers and got a last minute deal from canada which i hope turns out great.

- trying to hold back the negative feeling, but once again the list is evaporating.  Lorenzen, Moore and White now off the board and not a single one signed.  bigs are becoming few.

i really am having a hard time figuring out the White thing.  if she went with purdue i'd get it, but illinois.  first off not an NCAA caliber team.  they should get better, but let's examine a few things.  they are now a scholly over the limit and the guy is still recruiting for this year.  meaning we obviously think that these young women are disposable on our journey.  my guess is that 2 or more from this class will be made uncomfortable enough to leave, if they get injured, or don't perform up to standard immediately.  for their trouble they will lose a year of eligibility, if they want to stay in D1.  so parents influence don't think that is part of the equation.  i don't know of parent who will trade 100% grad rate for there's the door after a two year waste of their childs life.  bottom feeder tactics to go with bottom feeder program ( to used car salesman for my taste).  very thankful we have Connie.

i am really hoping we get 3 of our primary targets.  i hope row 6 is correct about the potential south of the border and let's not forget theirs is a little sister who is pretty good.  i was also thinking, with the coaching change in Oregon, we might want to find out if Briana Ruiz can get released from her scholarship.  she'd have four years of eligibility and be in uniform to open up the arena.  we really do need a big guard or small forward who can beat people off the bounce.

still trying to figure out why we cannot seem to get players on our board.  my guess is that 2014 will turn out like the last two.

- we Theriot and nothing else from the list

- waited patiently last year saw the whole list evaporate.  then we kind of lucked into Miss Havers and got a last minute deal from canada which i hope turns out great.

- trying to hold back the negative feeling, but once again the list is evaporating.  Lorenzen, Moore and White now off the board and not a single one signed.  bigs are becoming few.

i really am having a hard time figuring out the White thing.  if she went with purdue i'd get it, but illinois.  first off not an NCAA caliber team.  they should get better, but let's examine a few things.  they are now a scholly over the limit and the guy is still recruiting for this year.  meaning we obviously think that these young women are disposable on our journey.  my guess is that 2 or more from this class will be made uncomfortable enough to leave, if they get injured, or don't perform up to standard immediately.  for their trouble they will lose a year of eligibility, if they want to stay in D1.  so parents influence don't think that is part of the equation.  i don't know of parent who will trade 100% grad rate for there's the door after a two year waste of their childs life.  bottom feeder tactics to go with bottom feeder program ( to used car salesman for my taste).  very thankful we have Connie.

i am really hoping we get 3 of our primary targets.  i hope row 6 is correct about the potential south of the border and let's not forget theirs is a little sister who is pretty good.  i was also thinking, with the coaching change in Oregon, we might want to find out if Briana Ruiz can get released from her scholarship.  she'd have four years of eligibility and be in uniform to open up the arena.  we really do need a big guard or small forward who can beat people off the bounce.

For God's sake man, just relax and trust Yori.  she knows more about what she wants and needs, with the way she wants her teams to play, than you will EVER know.

BirdsOnTheBat

sorry for the misunderstanding

i loved her when she was hired and have not missed a game since, whether in attendance or huddled by a radio listening to a road game.  0-16 in league did not waiver one bit.  she is class top to bottom.  she built the program from the bottom to really a national power, 100% grad rate and by the way how many academic all conference players, great community involvement from her players, never waivers on the values or expectations from herself and her players, a very appreciative fan base and this list could go on for volumes.  i am not and never have questioned her, i just don't understand why it is hard to recruit here, i'd think people would beg to come.  and yeah i do get antsi, which i do appologize for.  please do not mistake that as a lack of love for her or my questioning how she wants her teams.

I'll relay a story that was told to me about a player that was being recuited by Yori four years ago. The recuit had a recuiting trip to Nebraska and when she showed up was sick or had gotten sick while here. The recuit returned home and Yori had called her to see how she was getting along and four years later she has a degree in hand from Nebraska this year. The reason that she came to Nebraska was that call that Yori made to her after she had returned home. Maybe you have heard this story or maybe not and you can take from this story what you want. But the fact that Yori would make that call to a recuit who was or wasn't coming to Nebraska shows that she cares about the people.

Don't get too caught up in the fact that we haven't had any commitments yet. Most players will go through the summer getting themselves exposed to as many coaches as they can on the AAU circuit and take their time weighing out their options before they commit. Some, but very few do commit earlier like White did. For example Lindsey Moore never committed to the Huskers until the first of October and then signed a month later. The players on the 2014 list are just some of the players that have expressed that they have received an offer or that Nebraska has shown interest in that particular player. There could be a lot of players the Huskers are interested in or gave out offers also, but it hasn't been made public.

I don't know that I'd read a whole lot into players leaving the state, either.  Even in Husker football we occasionally will have guys head other places just because they want to.  And this has gone on since long before Bo Pelini so don't blame the current regime.  We had guys like Larry Station going to Iowa.  Guys who went to Notre Dame.  Guys who went to Kansas State and others.  All during the heydey of Tom Osborne.  Kid from Lincoln by the name of Ty Goode went to Notre Dame just as Notre Dame tanked and Nebraska reeled off 3 national championships in 4 years.

So, it happens. 

Can't blame Connie for the Kastaneks.  The older Kastanek made it well known in a journal star interview when she was in 9th grade that she wanted to go somewhere on one of the coasts.  Which is exactly what she did.  My understanding is KK Houser didn't really want to stick around Lincoln either.

So the question in this case isn't whether we're losing in-state recruits from time to time.  The question is whether the program is getting shelled by lack of recruits even as good players from in-state are going elsewhere.  And, while we didn't get KK Houser, we got Lindsey Moore.  We've also gotten Hooper and Cady and Jess Shepard, et al.

So, the sky is far from falling on Connie Yori's recruiting. 

I'll defer to HB's thoughts on this year's class, though.  2013, might not have been Connie's best effort to date.  But, again, I'll defer on that.

• 2 weeks later...

A little more information on the background of Kansas phenom Kaylee Page. Kaylee plays and stars for Wamego High. She (arguably the best recruit to come out in the 2014 class, in the state of Kansas) is the daughter of Jim & Wendy Page. Jim walked on for two years at KU, Wendy played basketball for Emporia St. Kaylee has received instruction from her dad on the game practically her whole life. He is the girls high school coach at Wamego. Kaylee has started every game since her freshman year when she averaged 20 + points that season. I think the one of the many impressive aspects about her is that she stands 6-2 and is the point guard for Wamego.

Kaylee’s Wamego team won the Kansas 4-A state tournament over McPherson a team that boasts Oklahoma St recruit Katelyn Loecker the Kansas Gatorade Player of the year this past season. Kaylee averaged right at 21 points per game to go along with just over 8 rebounds a game this past year. When one reads about Kaylee a lot of sports writers in Kansas compare her game to ex KSU player Nicole Oldhe. Kaylee has for the most part kept her college recruitment pretty private.

Obviously the Pages are big KU fans but also the family is very close to Bill Annan the womens basketball assistant coach at Oklahoma St. Kaylee visited both OSU and Stanford last year and Lincoln in 2011 that I’m aware of.

I do believe and hope we’re going to hear a lot more in the near future on this kid. One other thing Kaylee has a younger sister (Lanie) who is just as good as herself. And Lanie has been getting division 1 letters since she was in the 7th grade.

Should NU be able to get Kaylee to bring her talents into the PBA I believe she’ll become a fan favorite within playing her first 5 games. With her being able to handle the ball the way she does she could play the 1,2,3 or 4 but most likely will play the 3 or 4 and would no doubt create hugh match-up problems for practically every team the Huskers would face. The future we’d have with her and then the next year when Jess Shepard joins would be off the charts.

Wamego is the equivalent to a small Class B or large Class C-1 school in Nebraska and is located some 20 miles east of Manhattan.

The following is a video made her freshman year of high school.