ALCORN STATE GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

Nebraska Cornhuskers (2-0, 0-0 Big Ten)
vs. Alcorn State Lady Braves (0-1, 0-0 SWAC)
Tuesday, Nov. 14, 2023, 7 p.m. (CT)
Pinnacle Bank Arena - Lincoln, Nebraska
Special Event: Military Appreciation
Tickets: Huskers.com/Tickets - 1-800-8-BIG-RED
Live Video: B1G+ (subscription)
Live Stats: Huskers.com (StatBroadcast)
Live Radio: Huskers Radio Network (6:30 p.m.)
Matt Coatney (PBP), Jeff Griesch (Analyst)
Lincoln (107.3 FM), Omaha (590 AM), Huskers.com, Huskers App

Nebraska Cornhuskers (2-0, 0-0 Big Ten)
22 - Natalie Potts - 6-2 - Fr. - F/G - 12.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg
40 - Alexis Markowski - 6-3 - Jr. - C/F - 15.0 ppg, 10.5 rpg
0 - Darian White - 5-6 - Gr. - G - 12.0 ppg, 6.5 rpg
1 - Jaz Shelley - 5-9 - Gr. - G - 16.0 ppg, 4.5 rpg
15 - Kendall Moriarty - 6-1 - Jr. - G - 1.0 ppg, 1.5 rpg
Off the Bench
21 - Annika Stewart - 6-3 - Sr. - F - 9.0 ppg, 5.0 rpg
14 - Callin Hake - 5-9 - So. - G - 9.0 ppg, 2.5 rpg
12 - Jessica Petrie - 6-2 - Fr. - F - 4.5 ppg, 3.0 rpg
2 - Logan Nissley - 6-0 - Fr. - G - 1.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg
32 - Kendall Coley - 6-2 - Jr. - F - 0.0 ppg, 2.5 rpg
Head Coach: Amy Williams (Nebraska, 1998)
Eighth Season at Nebraska (116-99); 17th Season Overall (309-208)

Alcorn State Lady Braves (0-1, 0-0 SWAC)
2 - Nakia Cheatham - 6-0 - Sr. - G/F - 8.0 ppg, 4.0 rpg
5 - Destiny Brown - 6-3 - Jr. - F - 3.0 ppg, 7.0 rpg
1 - Ashanti Backus - 5-4 - Sr. - G - 3.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg
11 - Zy’nyia White - 5-6 - Jr. - G - 11.0 ppg, 5.0 rpg
24 - Kiarra Henderson - 5-9 - Sr. - G/F - 5.0 ppg, 7.0 rpg
Off the Bench
21 - Akryiale Ford - 6-2 - Gr. - F - 8.0 ppg, 7.0 rpg
15 - Jeanee Anderson - 5-7 - Sr. - G - 2.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg
0 - Jazmine Jackson - 5-8 - So. - G - 2.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg
30 - Maya Claytor - 6-0 - Fr. - F - 0.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg
32 - Milia Gibson - 5-6 - Jr. - G - 0.0 ppg, 1.0 rpg
14 - Arene Iyekekpolor - 6-0 - Fr. - F - 0.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg
Head Coach: Nate Kilbert (MVSU, 1987)
Fourth Season at Alcorn State (22-53); 22nd Season Overall (201-399)

Sigh! Let’s not schedule anymore of these SWAC teams.  Not much good came from this game other than playing time for Petrie and Nissley.  The injury to Jaz alone is devastating.  Creighton may blow our doors off.

The last five minutes looked like a D-2 High School game.  We were careless with the ball.  ALCORN played aggressively out of control and with good movement and crisp passing we should have burned them.  Let’s hope our walking wounded are ready to go next week.  I wouldn’t play them against Creighton.

Coley had a nice game.  Lots of minutes. Steady play.  Hake similar.  The 4 newbies (including White) do not seem rattled in the least. Good thing. Roster is a bit thin at the moment.  We have some time before conference play begins. Maybe we can heal up in time. 

I know it is beating a dead horse, but sure wish we utilized all scholarships, and added a walk-on or two. Easier said than done, for sure.

19 minutes ago, 12dozen said:

Coley had a nice game.  Lots of minutes. Steady play.  Hake similar.  The 4 newbies (including White) do not seem rattled in the least. Good thing. Roster is a bit thin at the moment.  We have some time before conference play begins. Maybe we can heal up in time. 

I know it is beating a dead horse, but sure wish we utilized all scholarships, and added a walk-on or two. Easier said than done, for sure.

We had a discussion on the walk-on topic last night at the game.  The men's team leverages walk-ons to run scout team and sometimes one or more of those walk-ons get playing time (Sam Hoiberg).  Instead of walk-ons,  the ladies have a stable of young men that they practice against.  So the need for walk-on players does not exist.

I am not sure that is a correct assumption; but it seems to make some sense.

That said, the lack of a full roster really bites when the injuries hit.

7 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

We had a discussion on the walk-on topic last night at the game.  The men's team leverages walk-ons to run scout team and sometimes one or more of those walk-ons get playing time (Sam Hoiberg).  Instead of walk-ons,  the ladies have a stable of young men that they practice against.  So the need for walk-on players does not exist.

I am not sure that is a correct assumption; but it seems to make some sense.

That said, the lack of a full roster really bites when the injuries hit.

The young men might have their place.  Game preparation, giving a specific look, etc.  But, if you use them too much, aren't they taking reps from roster players?  How are you going to develop players?  Development has been a topic of concern for some time.  I don't like dressing 8 for a game. With the portal, you can add marginal players to a roster, and not make a 4 year commitment.  But, Amy makes those decisions.  W/L record will ultimately determine longevity.  I hope she makes my concerns seem comical. We'll all be happy if that happens.  

27 minutes ago, 12dozen said:

The young men might have their place.  Game preparation, giving a specific look, etc.  But, if you use them too much, aren't they taking reps from roster players?  How are you going to develop players?  Development has been a topic of concern for some time.  I don't like dressing 8 for a game. With the portal, you can add marginal players to a roster, and not make a 4 year commitment.  But, Amy makes those decisions.  W/L record will ultimately determine longevity.  I hope she makes my concerns seem comical. We'll all be happy if that happens.  

How do other women's teams approach the walk-on process?  Is the Husker method unique?  I truly do not know, so I am just asking.

I just went and checked and the huskers do have 13 scholarships filled if you include Maggie.  Sooo.  Injuries happen, I don't believe you can blame those on the coaches.  I mean Jaz simply rolled her ankle.  Right?

Edited by Huskerpapa

21 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

How do other women's teams approach the walk-on process?  Is the Husker method unique?  I truly do not know, so I am just asking.

I just went and checked and the huskers do have 13 scholarships filled if you include Maggie.  Sooo.  Injuries happen, I don't believe you can blame those on the coaches.  I mean Jaz simply rolled her ankle.  Right?

WBB is allowed 15 scholarships.  Not sure when we utilized all available schollies last.  Isn't reduction of scholarships one of the NCAA 'go to' penalties for violations?

It is, what it is.  This staff seems to be most comfortable with current roster size.  I'm 'all in' on the Huskers, regardless of roster size.  GBR!

3 hours ago, 12dozen said:

Glad to see Kendall Coley with the number of minutes she had and a nice stat line.  Seems like everyone stepped up, but of course the competition was not Big Ten.  Hope everyone gets (and stays) healthly; we're going to need 'em all.

Women's basketball rosters generally vary in size from 12-15.  D1 BCS Women's teams generally get more scholarships than men to help catch up the gap in overall student athletes between genders caused by football.  Same reason more schools have women's soccer than men's.   -- The problem with 14 or 15 on a women's team is it is hard to keep everybody happy. On men's team plenty of guys are willing to be walk ons at 13, 14 and 15 spots because they practice daily and enjoy the journey.  Women's teams at a high level tend to practice against men a lot of the time which makes it super hard to even get reps in practice for women 11 thru 15.  Thus, a lot of women's teams won't fil the roster past 12 or 13 even if they can.  ------ Additionally, you have to remember women grow younger and there are less late bloomers, etc.  Almost every women playing in the big 10 was a 4 year hs starter and all state at least 3 years.  There are guys in the nba that didn't start hs til their sr year because they grew late etc.  As a result, the guys "fish bowl" is more crowded so they are more used to having to fight for playing time, etc.  Women who play in college were always the best on their team growing up. Thus when they are suddenly a walk on or scholarship kid at 12-15 and rarely play in games they don't handle it as well and get disgruntled quicker. Just a fact.

Edited by kansashusker

Two comments:

1.   Creighton only has 11 players on its roster with 6 seniors, 2 sophomores; 2 redshirt freshman, and only one freshman; plus no one over 6ft 1 inch.  Thought they might have picked up a post player.

2.  Here are the stats for Nebraska's first 3 games below:

image.png

Kendall Moriarty is underperforming so far since she has been starting per her stat line above and averaging 23 minutes a game.  As a junior she should be playing better than she is.  Tends to hold the ball too long and needs to drive mor to either score or get fouled.  Likely,  Callin Hake should be a starter instead based on her performance thus far.