MLS and Sporting KC - Official Thread

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

We stink. I’m paying back all that extra joy that Nebrasketball gave me in the winter, with anguish during SKC’s season. 

What sucks too is that if we hadn't flubbed up all those points early, we could have maybe made it through a rough stretch like this.

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, 49r said:

Team USA looking pretty good today.

I thought we looked pretty solid as well.  Sure a lot of missed chances, but goodness that could have easily

been 4-0 or 5-0.  Turner didn’t really have to work either. 

We showed some nice buildup that didn’t involve a cross into the box, so that was nice to see.  Uruguay looked beatable too (we’ll still need to bring our best game next Monday). Either way, next Monday SHOULD be a “both eliminated/both moving on” situation.

I have such mixed thoughts on last night's match.

On one hand, we deserved to lose.  Tim's red was objectively the correct call; there was a 0% chance it would stay yellow after VAR.  CCV has looked terrible for us despite being excellent for Celtic, and if he is our #3 center back then Gregg should not have gone to a 5-man backline.  And Pepi again failed to capitalize on his teammates' perfect service.

But on the other hand, that really was miserable officiating.  Turner getting speared WWE-style should have been a yellow, no question.  The lack of card was almost assuredly what got Tim's blood boiling, resulting in his retaliation and red.  And with both Panamian goals being savable (one where an injured Turner was slow to react, and one where a rusty backup in Horvath failed to save a shot directly at him), that wrestling move was even more impactful.  Then there was the lack of yellows for persistent infringement on Flo and Pulisic.  And throw in the cheap shot on Scally being called a yellow even though by definition it was a violent conduct red.

We played poorly and the match was managed poorly, so from that perspective we shouldn't be surprised at the loss.  But that really did feel like a match that if reffed correctly, our players don't lose their cool.  And we could have easily been the team with a man advantage.