Nebraska Football 2018-2019

So...here is the deal.  I was invited to go watch the McGregor fight tonight INSTEAD of watching the Husker football game.  Ain't going to happen folks.  I explained politely, it is about being a fan.  I am not, nor will I ever be a fair-weather fan.  If you are a fan, you support and cheer for your team through good times and bad.  In football, I saw a lot of years of good to great, with a recent period of average to bad.  In basketball, I have seen some average, but never really great times.  Yet...I am a fan.  

3 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

So...here is the deal.  I was invited to go watch the McGregor fight tonight INSTEAD of watching the Husker football game.  Ain't going to happen folks.  I explained politely, it is about being a fan.  I am not, nor will I ever be a fair-weather fan.  If you are a fan, you support and cheer for your team through good times and bad.  In football, I saw a lot of years of good to great, with a recent period of average to bad.  In basketball, I have seen some average, but never really great times.  Yet...I am a fan.  

What's the weather forecast? All kinds? Then it's time to support this team. And that's what makes Nebraska fans so great.

I guarantee many UCLA fans aren't even going to check the score of the game tonight.

The Oregon State trail is full of dysentery and sloppy seconds. Who knew OSU's strategy all along was to get Mike Riley to leave and build a new pipeline out of Nebraska's recruits.

Tyjon Lindsey didn't like his playing time and is now enrolled at Oregon State.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/ex-husker-tyjon-lindsey-has-enrolled-at-oregon-state/article_0b6eda6d-b25f-58e7-a939-69d037bfec56.html

13 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Sighhhh....mistake after mistake after mistake.

Hey, at least we are out here setting records. Nebraska is the first team in Big 10 history to commit 10 or more penalties in five straight games. I thought at the very least the sloppy play would be fixed very quickly under Frost. Boy was I wrong. 

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:01 AM, huskerbaseball13 said:

Hey, at least we are out here setting records. Nebraska is the first team in Big 10 history to commit 10 or more penalties in five straight games. I thought at the very least the sloppy play would be fixed very quickly under Frost. Boy was I wrong. 

Listening to Matt and Greg on the radio, it sounded like they think it's sort of a situation of like a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Officials are aware Nebraska is a heavily penalized team; therefore, they assume the Huskers commit a lot of penalties; therefore, they throw a lot of flags at stuff.

This came up in course of commentary about some of the phantom fouls that were called on us during the Wisconsin game.  

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Listening to Matt and Greg on the radio, it sounded like they think it's sort of a situation of like a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Officials are aware Nebraska is a heavily penalized team; therefore, they assume the Huskers commit a lot of penalties; therefore, they throw a lot of flags at stuff.

This came up in course of commentary about some of the phantom fouls that were called on us during the Wisconsin game.  

Likely some truth to this, but we also do commit many of the violations called.  Yet if you gain a reputation where you do not commit the violations, then the refs will likely let some calls go without penalty.  Not fair, but it seems to be the reality we currently reside in.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Wisconsin was holding the whole game. Only got 1 holding call, late, on the Badgers. smh

Actually, we had some closer ones than that.  Didn't we take them to OT just a couple of years ago?

In any event, I'm saying that was a solid performance by Martinez and people complaining about him aren't seeing what I'm seeing, I guess.

For the game, he was 24/42 (57%) with 2 TDs through the air, no INTs and a running score, which ain't bad.

But he was incomplete on his last 4 attempts, which kind of distorts the numbers a bit.

He's getting there.  I think we'll be OK.

43 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

on October 15th he will be able to go to any school he likes. The block rule expires then.

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

I also believe the staff and/or administration is tired of the golden path to Oregon State.  Something tells me that there may be some shenanigans going on with that destination.  Yeah, I know who is coaching there...I can hear the conversation - Hey Tyjon,  if you become unhappy at Nebraska, we are holding a schollie with your name on it.  Just saying.  It is odd that occurred with Bell, but not Lindsey though.

Edited by Huskerpapa

17 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Plus I think he jumped early and wouldn't that be hands to the face?. I thought we played our best game of the year.. I also want to know the difference between how the rest of the league's linemen get away with way more than we do.. I am not saying this as a but hurt fan either.. I about died watching the Purdue game and how they grabbed and held.. It was like a Sumo wrestling match.

I think this is the season where they need to just make the rule you can grab a guy just not from behind.. That way D linemen can get taught how to get away without getting flagged for a personal foul.

Okay done with my rant.

On 10/9/2018 at 1:37 PM, Silverbacked1 said:

Plus I think he jumped early and wouldn't that be hands to the face?. I thought we played our best game of the year.. I also want to know the difference between how the rest of the league's linemen get away with way more than we do.. I am not saying this as a but hurt fan either.. I about died watching the Purdue game and how they grabbed and held.. It was like a Sumo wrestling match.

I think this is the season where they need to just make the rule you can grab a guy just not from behind.. That way D linemen can get taught how to get away without getting flagged for a personal foul.

Okay done with my rant.

It's the 'benefit of the doubt' for the big dog. It happens all the time in the NBA & college hoops, especially.

On 10/11/2018 at 1:44 PM, HuskerFever said:

And now Oregon State writers are throwing it right back:

https://articles.oregonlive.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2018/10/nebraska_coach_scott_frosts_re.amp

On "Recruiting with Andrew Nemec" on 1080 The Fan, I explained why Frost's criticism of Oregon State is not only hypocritical, but also follows a recent trend of Frost hoping college football fans aren't paying attention when he delivered heaping helpings of revisionist history.

Recruiting with Andrew Nemec (10:48): 

http://www.1080thefan.com/media/audio-channel/scott-frosts-hypocrisy

If I recall correctly, with the exception being Vedral, CFU was prepared to restrict transfers to Nebraska.  I am not about to accuse OSU of tampering, but a relationship was established with the coaches and staff at OSU.  It would be foolish not to think that some contact occurs between players and the previous staff.  Heck, Frost even admitted that he would not be a hypocrite as he recently had contacted Milton to wish him a happy birthday. 

It will be hard if not impossible to stop those contacts, especially with social media availability.  

I fall back on the point that if the players don't want to be here, then we shouldn't want them here.  Where they transfer should be open and free, but competitive advantage is at risk if they transfer to a school within your conference.  But heck, with trades and free-agency, players move in the professional leagues almost at will, and teams seem to overcome that movement.