Kaylee Page leaves the program

hhcmatt

The latest news on the Quitter!

Kaylee Page, a two-time All-State player at Wamego, has enrolled at Kansas State for the upcoming spring semester and is in position to join the Wildcat women’s basketball team.

Page began the current season at Nebraska but, with a lack of playing time through five games of her freshman season, left QUIT the team and announced her intention to transfer. The 6-foot-2 forward returned home where her father, Jim, is the coach at Wamego and her sister, Lanie, is a senior who had signed with Nebraska but released from her letter of intent at the same time Kaylee left the school.

The Page sisters and their father sat behind the K-State bench at recent home games, fueling speculation they would join the program directed by first-year coach Jeff Mittie. Jim Page confirmed to the Manhattan Mercury that Kaylee is enrolled at K-State and her name is on the university’s online student directory.

Mittie has no scholarships available at this time and already has signed three high school players in the 2015 recruiting class to fill the spots of three departing seniors. Player moves within the current roster would be needed to open a scholarship for Kaylee as well as an additional scholarship for Lanie, who is being recruited by K-State as well as other programs.

http://cjonline.com/sports/2015-01-04/wamego-all-stater-kaylee-page-enrolls-k-state

Since the Topeka paper wouldn't edit it I did. The further away from this situation we get the more we're hearing about what went on and from what it sounds it wasn't good! It wouldn't surprise me one iota if the old man made some sort of deal to get his kids a scholarship and that a couple of the K State current players will be looking for new schools next year. He's their problem now! 

I can't even hardly read anything about this family anymore. Walk-on>Scholarship, Not so great school>Top 20 program, few miles from hometown>100 Miles(Not a huge difference that should make her family and friends not come to watch her), Playing time on not so great school>More than likely starting next year for Top 20 program.  #Annoyed. :)

Her parents probably thought that since Hooper graduated, Kaylee would come in and take her place immediately.  They forgot about the part where you have to learn to play defense and adjust to the speed of the game.  Some kids adjust quickly, others, well, they just take longer.  Doesn't mean she wouldn't get there eventually.  And now that we have so much illness and injury on the team, it would have been the perfect opportunity for her to show what she could do.  Instead, it is a perfect missed opportunity for her, and her sister.

If the main reason she is no longer with the Huskers is because of lack of playing time, I'm not sure that she is in a much better place for that.

Oh, I don't know that her work ethic was poor.  But I think there was more going on than just the adjustment to the college game - there was an adjustment to not having dad as a coach.

When my daughter got to about 5th grade, it became obvious to me that parents should not coach their kids.  From that time on, we made it a point to make sure my daughter only played on teams where the coach had no child on the team, for any sport that she played.  She had some excellent experiences after making that switch.  I'm looking at some of these other kids now who had a mom/dad coach them, kids that are in college and participating in a sport, and the picture isn't so rosey for many of them.

Her brother who plays BB @ Grinnell College and is a sophomore has played in 7 of the 11 games played and is averaging 4.3 minutes a game. How do you think daddy likes those numbers.

Brother probably wasn't Gatorade Kansas POTY or Best basketball prospect in the state.  

The sad truth is that those titles get in players and parents heads when in all reality they do not mean squat.

I would agree with you on this hskr4life. Maybe he went to Iowa to get away from over bearing parents.

Her quote " he doesn't get mad and yell to get his point across". Speaks volumes.Some times it is good and some times it is bad to only be coached by your dad.

Mittie may yell if you quit in the middle of a sprint and just sit in the middle of the floor and not finish.
I kind of thought there was "more to this story"

And I have no problem with coaches who yell and get mad. My best coach grabbed me by the face mask and pulled me to where I was to go, didn't that mistake again.:). Different time, different times.

I would agree with you on this hskr4life. Maybe he went to Iowa to get away from over bearing parents.

Her quote " he doesn't get mad and yell to get his point across". Speaks volumes.Some times it is good and some times it is bad to only be coached by your dad.

Mittie may yell if you quit in the middle of a sprint and just sit in the middle of the floor and not finish.
I kind of thought there was "more to this story"

And I have no problem with coaches who yell and get mad. My best coach grabbed me by the face mask and pulled me to where I was to go, didn't that mistake again.:). Different time, different times.

If this true no wonder she didn't see the light of day. And what did it do to the locker room seeing such behavior?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Her quote " he doesn't get mad and yell to get his point across". Speaks volumes.

Some times it is good and some times it is bad to only be coached by your dad.

Is she seriously implying that she quit the team 5 games into her freshman season because she got yelled at in practice?  :o

Listen, girlfriend, it's time to put on your big girl pants.  This is college, not intramurals.  :angry:

Can't believe she'd actually say that to a reporter.  <_<

Parent coaches = not a good idea after elementary school.  I've seen two kinds - those that coddle their kids, and then there are those that are overly harsh.  Hard to separate out the personal aspect in practices and in games.  If your kid isn't good enough to make the top club team or varsity on their own when they get into HS, then so be it.