Maryland (25-15) vs. Nebraska (24-12) Series Game Thread

It's officially worry time.  Runner on 2nd, no outs.  3, 4, and 5 up.  3 straight strikeouts against a junk ball pitcher.  Then, we decide to kick the ball all around the park in the next half inning.  We need to get crap together and start playing ball.

• Bugeaters1 changed the title to Maryland (24-15) vs. Nebraska (24-11) Series Game Thread

Bolt before the 5th inning after being asked how long he was going to stay with Clark.  "We hope to get him through this inning.  He hasn't been stretched out."

He has a really good 5th inning.  Bullpen is pretty rested.  Clark would leave on a positive note.  What's Bolt do?  Brings him out for the 6th with Clark on fumes.  Now, he is going to have a negative outlook after giving up a single, a home run, and a walk.

We can throw hosting out the window.  This team is in a tailspin.  We are going to be 2 - 6 in our last 8.  Now, we have to make sure we can win enough just to make a Regional. 

We have 2 bullpen guys we can trust (Dais and Worthly).  We have no reliable Sunday or mid week starter.  Our bats have cooled off.

1 hour ago, brfrad said:

This team looks like they are going through the motions.  Horrible effort throughout the whole game.  We need to get our crap together.

The video of two of our guys literally playing grab ass (nuts), down 5 runs wasn’t encouraging. Starting to feel a little bubbly when it comes to the NCAAs, hope they pull out of the funk. 

Yesterday was the poorest effort out of this team as they've had all season. Reminded me of a throwaway midweek effort from last season. Not good enough then, but lightyears worse in the present when you have a chance to clinch a conference series.

To let that soft thrower continually strike us out on late swings on high "fastballs" that would struggle to break glass was simply a team that wasn't ready to compete and didn't go to the plate with a confident mindset. Outside of Columbus, thinking too much, worrying about what could go wrong, instead of making things happen.

The coaches can't figure it out and are making decisions that make things worse. I mean the only positive out of a dumpster fire of an effort was Clark, but the coaches even ruined that. To leave Clark in there for another inning after a great outing to face the right handers when he was tiring, and he promptly gives up a 2-run HR, was simply idiotic. Clark is a guy who needs confidence, and he gained a lot yesterday, only to have the coaches leave him hanging out to dry and have him leave the outing with a bad memory. Absolutely terrible.

This team reminds me of some of Coach Anderson's teams -- not a compliment -- where they started the season OK, only to have multiple guys stagnate and regress instead of showing improvement. That's not a good look for the coaching staff. Now, this team started far better than OK, but the stagnation and regression, outside of a few guys, is pretty significant at this point.

I've got more, but I'll just say this for now -- lose today, and we'll spend May simply trying to hang on to a B1G tourney berth. Not something I thought I'd ever be typing at the start of April.

Edited by throwback