So, what does everyone think of the new starting lineup?

I'm not sure how many times that I have said "NO" when certain members of our team jacks a 3, only to yell "YES" when the shot falls.

And to further respond to the question...I like our current 8 man rotation.   As to who starts, I have no preference.  I can only assume there is wisdom behind minutes, who starts and who finishes.

8 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Jamarques takes a seat; Brice starts at point; Juwan, Josiah and Rienk (our only rotation big men) all on the floor at the same time.

I have thoughts but I'm curious about everyone else's. Perhaps this was covered in a post-game chatter, but I missed it, so sorry if already discussed.

Indifferent. At first I didn't like it, because i didn't love Brice focusing on running the offense to start games. To start games he should be focusing on scoring and finding a flow on offense imo. Now, Lawrence's struggles to shoot and with turnovers forced the hand and I support it completely. He did supposedly say he welcomed it because it helped the game flow better for him. NW that showed, as he closed that game, his first time closing a big ten game in a WHILE. Vs Michigan it was a bloodbath, so him not shooting great went under the radar a bit. 

I think I'd go back to the regular starting lineup (Lawrence for allick) vs PSU. Need to make sure you sub Lawrence and mast/Gary for Sam and allick. It's been mentioned, and allick/Lawrence lineups haven't looked great. Fred did some experimenting with lineups last game though, Sam and Lawrence shared the backcourt with CJ(?) For a stretch, and I am not sure the last time Sam and Lawrence played together. 

His season has been a struggle, which I expected it to be. Boogie offering nothing in big ten play, and ulis being suspended has left him as the only one who can do some ball handling and playmaking. He's still done some things I like playmaking wise, but the youth to the PG spot shines quite a bit. I will say, this season will be good for him as a junior/senior. Gives Fred lineup flexibility to have multiple ball handlers that have in game reps on the court, assuming they bring in a portal PG 

3 hours ago, millerhusker said:

I get it but there's no excuse imo. Tony Bennett's and Chris Beard's packline style defenses could also make it more difficult for their players to consistently block out. But you'll always see their players find an opponent to collide with when a shot goes up. It's a mindset deal. We have guys stand and watch way too often, sometimes even on free throw attempts. 

I agree it appears to be effort at times. Chris’s Rebels are 352nd in giving up offensive rebounds this year though. Virginia is middle of the pack.

Someone would need to check numbers but my impression is the new lineup is taking minutes from CJ which is not good. IMO, it is not a good lineup against a pressing defensive team. I have wondered all year why teams don't press us more since we lack a true point guard. We have shown vulnerability there opponents are not exploiting.

6 minutes ago, KZRider said:

Someone would need to check numbers but my impression is the new lineup is taking minutes from CJ which is not good. IMO, it is not a good lineup against a pressing defensive team. I have wondered all year why teams don't press us more since we lack a true point guard. We have shown vulnerability there opponents are not exploiting.

I think you mean JL, not CJ.

He played more minutes coming off the bench the last two games than the previous two that he started as playing time in the guard rotation tends to be performance based as the game unfolds.

Via KenPom

image.png

42 minutes ago, KZRider said:

Well, Maryland killed NU with a press. It was brutal to watch, tbh.

33 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I think you mean JL, not CJ.

He played more minutes coming off the bench the last two games than the previous two that he started as playing time in the guard rotation tends to be performance based as the game unfolds.

Via KenPom

image.png

Crazy to think Juwan Gary only played 14 min. against Iowa. It's too bad that wasn't a double play, I think NU would absolutely smoke 'em in Lincoln, like by 30. That's a shame. Maybe next year... the women got a dub this year over Iowa, and a lot of the men's bball players watched courtside. GBR