2024 Football

Huskerpapa

• 3 weeks later...

The fact that Georgia couldn't 3-peat makes my Husker heart warm; namely, that '94-'95 NU squad ought to remain at or near the top of the heap with back-to-back titles.

I actually thought UGa moving down from #1 to #6 in the final pre-bowl rankings was the real travesty when a lot of folks merely focused on FSU dropping out of the top 4. But, oh well, what's done is done. GBR

Edited by AuroranHusker

29 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

The fact that Georgia couldn't 3-peat makes my Husker heart warm; namely, that '94-'95 NU squad ought to remain at or near the top of the heap with back-to-back titles.

I actually thought UGa moving down from #1 to #6 in the final pre-bowl rankings was the real travesty when a lot of folks merely focused on FSU dropping out of the top 4. But, oh well, what's done is done. GBR

It's finally one of the first times that a school finally got penalized for such a weak nonconference schedule. And SEC playing 4 nonconference games already puts them at an advantage with scheduling. Michigan likely would have been in a very similar position if they ended up with 1 loss.

Their playoffs started on December 2. And they lost in the first round. It's just nice for a change of pace that the winner of the SEC championship game didn't really matter in this year's tournament. The committESPNee couldn't justify putting two SEC teams in, but they had enough sway to put one in. Deserving, or not.

4 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

It's finally one of the first times that a school finally got penalized for such a weak nonconference schedule. And SEC playing 4 nonconference games already puts them at an advantage with scheduling. Michigan likely would have been in a very similar position if they ended up with 1 loss.

Their playoffs started on December 2. And they lost in the first round. It's just nice for a change of pace that the winner of the SEC championship game didn't really matter in this year's tournament. The committESPNee couldn't justify putting two SEC teams in, but they had enough sway to put one in. Deserving, or not.

Agreed. That first weekend in Dec. was essentially the quarterfinals. Next year there's two more layers to it. It will be interesting to see how many B1G & SEC teams are participating. . .

11 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Agreed. That first weekend in Dec. was essentially the quarterfinals. Next year there's two more layers to it. It will be interesting to see how many B1G & SEC teams are participating. . .

One thing I hear people complain about it the possibility of playing a conference opponent 3 times in this new format: regular season, conference finals, and at some point in the 12-team playoff.

And as we've seen many many times with basketball and football selection committees, they love a storyline. They'll find some way to pair up a storyline matchup in round one (i.e., Michigan vs. Notre Dame) who would then play Ohio State in the next round.

1 minute ago, HuskerFever said:

One thing I hear people complain about it the possibility of playing a conference opponent 3 times in this new format: regular season, conference finals, and at some point in the 12-team playoff.

And as we've seen many many times with basketball and football selection committees, they love a storyline. They'll find some way to pair up a storyline matchup in round one (i.e., Michigan vs. Notre Dame) who would then play Ohio State in the next round.

Yeah, sort of like Fred Hoiberg facing Iowa State in the 2024 Big Dance. . . 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...