Brief scout of Clemson

MichHusker

Not a particularly great shooting or attacking team. Their primary offense appears to be a dribble drive look with shooters spotting up and their 5 man relocating around the rim to find a spot for a pass or offensive rebound. If just trying to take their man off the dribble doesn't work then they will set a ball screen and have a screen away from the ball at the same time to keep the backside defenders busy. All it is for them is trying to get an advantage on their man and create a need for the defense to help. However, from what I have seen if the defense does a good job of staying with their man and not over-helping, Clemson will absolutely shoot contested shots and most of those being 3's. So far in the half court, 35% of Clemson's shots have been contested and on those they are only shooting 32%. Stop the drive, we give ourselves a great chance to win. Also, their center Djitte can and will shoot up to 18ft if we sag off of him.

Defensively, their perimeter players will come out and challenge the ball because they trust that their center Djitte will protect the rim. However, if he gets into foul trouble their isn't much behind him that will come in and patrol the paint in the same way. Ball movement, screens, slips, and cuts to the basket will all be very important for our offense to be successful tonight.

Final thoughts: After watching the film, unless we just come out uninspired or shoot 25% for the game I think we win. Our gap-oriented defense will shut down driving lanes and force Clemson into contested 3's which they aren't particularly good at. The key here is that we CAN NOT OVER-HELP. As soon as we do that, they will cut to the rim for scores or shoot wide open jump shots. Offensively for us, We should be able to get past their guards reliably all game. The key is to not bury ourselves under the rim on drives to the point where we can't score and there aren't any good passing lanes. We have to drive looking to score/create contact or drive looking for the kick. Overall, I think this is a much better match up than people think and if we can hit the 3 at a good clip, don't be surprised to see a 10+ point win.

2 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Please continue to post these as often as you can as you're filling in some gaps for me.

That we've both come to the same conclusion about not over-helping is a nice assurance that I can gleam some things without being able to watch a lot of game.

I absolutely will. It gives me good practice with the software i have at my disposal 

1 minute ago, jimmykc said:

I picked Clemson but I figured the first true road game on a non-neutral court is worth about 5 points. Dimes expects a blah crowd but I am betting students will show for a Big 10/ACC matchup. Just another factor to consider.

Football school, tho.  Might not start caring too much until after the Playoffs.

27 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

I picked Clemson but I figured the first true road game on a non-neutral court is worth about 5 points. Dimes expects a blah crowd but I am betting students will show for a Big 10/ACC matchup. Just another factor to consider.

Relatively blah.  They had a capacity crowd (9000) for the home opener in a revamped stadium against Georgia.  They had 5500 people show up for High Point.  Two years ago they had 6285 show up for Rutgers.  This is a 9pm game and they have already lost 2 games and we just got whumped by Virginia Tech.  I'd say you're looking at a 7000-8000 person crowd of people who are mildly enthused to be there.

Speaking of attendance smack, did anyone see (of course they didn't) any of the Penn State vs. whoever-they-played game in the B1G ACC Challenge?

They had the upper bowl of their arena curtained off and other than students in the lower bowl there were probably only a few hundred fans there.

1 minute ago, 49r said:

They had the upper bowl of their arena curtained off and other than students in the lower bowl there were probably only a few hundred fans there.

They're notorious about this to the point that they've turned away fans before who have unexpectedly shown up to games wanting to buy tickets.

3 hours ago, MichHusker said:

Not a particularly great shooting or attacking team. Their primary offense appears to be a dribble drive look with shooters spotting up and their 5 man relocating around the rim to find a spot for a pass or offensive rebound. If just trying to take their man off the dribble doesn't work then they will set a ball screen and have a screen away from the ball at the same time to keep the backside defenders busy. All it is for them is trying to get an advantage on their man and create a need for the defense to help. However, from what I have seen if the defense does a good job of staying with their man and not over-helping, Clemson will absolutely shoot contested shots and most of those being 3's. So far in the half court, 35% of Clemson's shots have been contested and on those they are only shooting 32%. Stop the drive, we give ourselves a great chance to win. Also, their center Djitte can and will shoot up to 18ft if we sag off of him.

Defensively, their perimeter players will come out and challenge the ball because they trust that their center Djitte will protect the rim. However, if he gets into foul trouble their isn't much behind him that will come in and patrol the paint in the same way. Ball movement, screens, slips, and cuts to the basket will all be very important for our offense to be successful tonight.

Final thoughts: After watching the film, unless we just come out uninspired or shoot 25% for the game I think we win. Our gap-oriented defense will shut down driving lanes and force Clemson into contested 3's which they aren't particularly good at. The key here is that we CAN NOT OVER-HELP. As soon as we do that, they will cut to the rim for scores or shoot wide open jump shots. Offensively for us, We should be able to get past their guards reliably all game. The key is to not bury ourselves under the rim on drives to the point where we can't score and there aren't any good passing lanes. We have to drive looking to score/create contact or drive looking for the kick. Overall, I think this is a much better match up than people think and if we can hit the 3 at a good clip, don't be surprised to see a 10+ point win.

They are 11 point favs for a reason.  Upsets happen, but it appears our chances are low.  With that said, I thought the 11 points sounded high and we really shouldn't be overmatched by them. 

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

They're notorious about this to the point that they've turned away fans before who have unexpectedly shown up to games wanting to buy tickets.

Wow!   Guess they don't need the money.  ;)   It will sure be nice when Nebraska becomes fully vested in the B1G and starts collecting our first full payout (around June 2017)!  :)