Updates from around the B1G

Row6Seat10

Freshman Jasmine Lumpkin from Michigan St. is transferring from Michigan St. At the start of the season she was starting for the Spartans. Since they've went on the 5 game losing streak Suzy Merchant changed her starting line up and benched Lumpkin. Evidently it didn't sit with her, hence the transfer request. Nebraska was one of her finalist last year when she signed with MSU. I'm still looking for an official public notice on the transfer shouldn't be too long.

Freshman Jasmine Lumpkin from Michigan St. is transferring from Michigan St. At the start of the season she was starting for the Spartans. Since they've went on the 5 game losing streak Suzy Merchant changed her starting line up and benched Lumpkin. Evidently it didn't sit with her, hence the transfer request. Nebraska was one of her finalist last year when she signed with MSU. I'm still looking for an official public notice on the transfer shouldn't be too long.

her Dad wasn't involved in this decision was he?

She's headed to Texas A&M. She started in 14 of the 15 games she played in for the Spartans. MSU has played a total of 18 games now. Her parents just moved a few months ago from Chicago to Texas. Her sister is a senior she also plays for Michigan St. Her excuse was she just realized she wanted to be closer to home. You figure that out.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/college/msu/2015/01/13/jasmine-lumpkin-leaves-michigan-state-womens-basketball/21695339/

She's headed to Texas A&M. She started in 14 of the 15 games she played in for the Spartans. MSU has played a total of 18 games now. Her parents just moved a few months ago from Chicago to Texas. Her sister is a senior she also plays for Michigan St. Her excuse was she just realized she wanted to be closer to home. You figure that out.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/college/msu/2015/01/13/jasmine-lumpkin-leaves-michigan-state-womens-basketball/21695339/

Yeah

Purdue, (Nebraska's opponent next Monday) announced today that starting guard sophomore Bridgette Perry will miss the next 4-6 weeks with a high ankle sprain.

http://www.purduesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/011315aaa.html

Looks like she was Purdue's 3 point person at .462%. So that should help out some what.

Is anyone watching the Iowa Northwestern game on BTN+. Do all Iowans complain like this PBP guy does?

I didn't watch that game, because I was at the men's Northwestern/Illinois game.  Hard to be at a live game and trying to follow another game.

I think that any homer PxP will sometimes sound whiny.  (I don't see that in Matt, but then again, I have bias!)

Noah...shorts in January...in Evanston?

I had longer pants that I wore to the game, and shed before the game.  Naturally, I re-equipped them before venturing out in the cold.  (I also did this at UNL: I would have wind-pants over my shorts, but once I got to Devaney, stripped the top layer.)

In the past two press conferences Merchant has expressed how appreciative she is of her team's hard work.

“It’s been punch after punch, injuries, the departure of Jasmine (Lumpkin) … This team stayed in every fight. It’s not like we lost and were embarrassed about it,” Merchant said.

Merchant happy with women's basketball despite recent loses

Illinois women's basketball struggling in conference play

The impressive win over Iowa did not come without its negatives, though. Senior guard Ivory Crawford went down with a torn meniscus just nine minutes into the first half and will be out for two to six weeks. The Illini have gone 0-3 in her absence.

Without Crawford’s energy and shot-making ability, Illinois is averaging just over 54 points per game during its current losing streak, 15 points off its season scoring average. The Illini lost by just five and seven points against Nebraska and Michigan, respectively, but suffered a 20-point drubbing in their most recent loss against conference-leading Maryland on Sunday.

Freshman guard Amarah Coleman has averaged almost 17 points per game as Crawford’s replacement in the starting lineup, but with Coleman no longer coming off the bench, Illinois has yet to find a consistent contributor from the second unit.

After the loss to Maryland, Bollant said the Illini are missing Crawford on both ends, especially in their “buzz” defensive scheme.

Bluder talks Nebraska, rest of the season

Another crack at Nebraska

The Cornhuskers have provided head coach Lisa Bluder with consistent problems since that team joined the Big Ten in 2011. In fact, in the four seasons that Nebraska has been a Big Ten member, it has never lost a game to Bluder and the Hawks, including a 72-65 victory over Iowa in last year’s Big Ten title game.

Jan. 26 will provide Bluder and the Hawks another crack at the Huskers.

“Top to bottom, they’re just a really good team,” Bluder said. “I really think that’s the best way I can put it, honestly. They’re a great team with a great coach who is always well-prepared.”

Senior captain Sam Logic has accomplished quite a bit in her Hawkeye career, but a win over Nebraska has proved to be elusive. Beating the Huskers would be another piece to putting together a satisfying senior season.

“Obviously, as a competitor, you want to beat them,” she said. “You want to play against the best, and they’ve traditionally always been right up there.”

Minnesota:

Rachel Banham to return to the Gopher's for 2015-16 after getting medical redshirt

Gophers guard Rachel Banham, whose senior season was cut short when she tore a knee ligament last month, announced Friday that she will return for a final season of eligibility.

“I’ve decided to finish my unfinished business on the court,’’ said Banham, who was named Big Ten preseason player of the year and was on watch lists for national player of the year awards. “I have a lot of stuff unfinished: NCAA tournament, records, being with my teammates. I love my team, and I want to be able to finish on the court with my jersey on, not on the sidelines.’’

In a press release, the university said Banham had been granted a medical hardship waiver from the NCAA.

CJWAZSJGEEHOHFT.20150123214537.jpg

In other Gopher news: Minnesota transfer Rangie Bessard, a 6-foot freshman forward from Rosharon, Texas, has signed a financial aid agreement and will be joining the Wichita St. women's basketball team immediately, head coach Jody Adams announced today.

Bessard, a transfer from the University of Minnesota, will begin practicing with the Shockers immediately, but must sit out one year due to NCAA transfer rules.

Bessard will be eligible to play at the conclusion of the 2015 fall semester and will have three years of remaining eligibility.

http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7500&ATCLID=209862036#.VMLV6PVMsF8.twitter

Minnesota:

Gophers: Grace Coughlin third player to leave women's basketball team

Grace Coughlin, a freshman point guard from Edina, this week became the third player to leave the University of Minnesota women's basketball team this month, the team confirmed Wednesday.

Coughlin, who attended Benilde-St. Margaret's, played in five games this season, with no points and three assists. She joins Rangie Bessard, a 6-foot freshman forward from Rosharon, Texas, and Jackie

Johnson, a junior from Eden Prairie, in leaving first-year coach Marlene Stollings' team.

Bessard played seven games, averaging 2.0 points and 1.4 rebounds in four minutes. Johnson had yet to play since suffering a season-ending knee injury last season.

Minnesota:

Gophers: Grace Coughlin third player to leave women's basketball team

Grace Coughlin, a freshman point guard from Edina, this week became the third player to leave the University of Minnesota women's basketball team this month, the team confirmed Wednesday.

Coughlin, who attended Benilde-St. Margaret's, played in five games this season, with no points and three assists. She joins Rangie Bessard, a 6-foot freshman forward from Rosharon, Texas, and Jackie

Johnson, a junior from Eden Prairie, in leaving first-year coach Marlene Stollings' team.

Bessard played seven games, averaging 2.0 points and 1.4 rebounds in four minutes. Johnson had yet to play since suffering a season-ending knee injury last season.

Is she a bitch?

Iowa:

Letdown possibility concerns Bluder

Lisa Bluder has issued a Letdown Watch, effective Thursday for suburban Chicago.

Conditions are favorable for danger.

“Absolutely,” she said Tuesday, a day after Iowa snapped its women’s basketball hex against Nebraska. “I’m very concerned about a letdown.

“We only have one day to practice, and we’re going into an environment in which there’s not much energy. We’ll have to bring it ourselves.”

Go Wildcats!!