2024 Baseball

Bugeaters1

Looks like our primary non-con opponents did what they were supposed to do on the opening weekend - with the exception of NMSU, but we knew they'd be pretty bad coming into the year. Overall, nice to see our non-con opponents rack up a lot of wins, which should help our RPI.

How our next 6 non-con opponents (that we'll play in 2-, 3-, or 4-game series) did on weekend 1:

Grand Canyon 3-0

• Wins vs Georgetown, USC (by an impressive 8-1 score) and BYU
  • This is going to be a tough one - GCU allowed 5 runs in its first 3 games
  • NEXT UP: GCU plays Ohio St Tuesday before we come in for the 4-game series

College of Charleston 4-0

• C of C swept Marshall in 4 games, outscoring them 30-9.
  • Marshall was pretty bad last year at 16-37, so C of C did what it was supposed to do
  • NEXT UP: Youngstown State (3 gms)

South Alabama 4-0

• USA took care of 2 weak teams (North Alabama and Southern Indiana (2x)) and 1 pretty good team (Lamar) over the weekend by a combined 25-6 score
  • USA had an uncharacteristically bad 22-31 record last year, which hurt our RPI, so a 4-0 start is hopefully a good omen for our RPI this year
  • NEXT UP: SE Louisiana (1 game), Jacksonville State (3 gms)

Wichita St 2-1

• Won the first two games at Ark-Little Rock 32-5 before losing the Sunday game 5-4
  • UALR had a decent record last year at 31-23 but a poor RPI of #173
  • NEXT UP: Tough tournament vs Virginia, Auburn, and Iowa

Nicholls 3-0

• Swept Sacred Heart by a combined 40-14, including 16-0 in the opener
  • SHU was pretty bad last year at 20-30
  • NEXT UP: at Tulane midweek (1 gm), vs NAIA Dillard midweek (1 gm), vs Eastern Illinois (3 gms)

New Mexico St 2-2

• NMSU split four games with South Dakota St, so a pretty bad weekend for a southern team playing a Summit League team
  • NMSU has a hitter friendly park, but scoring 36 runs over four games is still pretty good
  • But they gave up 34 runs, so pretty bad on the mound
  • NEXT UP: at McNeese State (4 games)

_____

Teams we've played:

Baylor 0-3

Home vs Lamar (1 gm) - Home vs Indiana (3 gms)

Texas Tech 2-1

Neutral vs Tex-Arlington (1 gm) - Neutral vs Oregon St (1 gm) - Home vs Tex Southern (3 gms)

Oklahoma 2-1

At Dallas Baptist (1 gm) - Home vs Wright St (4 gms)

Well, this should be interesting. It appears GCU is using its Friday starter on Thursday. He's probably better than anyone we saw last week. It'd be pretty crazy if we won Thursday.

I'm not surprised NU is leaving Sears on Friday and Walsh on Saturday, as it's better early in the year to give them the full week of rest between starts. Plus that gets those two away from GCU's top arm. And I get giving Christo a start, as he was as close to the #1 guy coming out of fall as we had - maybe he returns to that form out of nowhere against GCU's best pitcher. 

Sears & Walsh have shown they'll attack the zone - now we need the other two guys to do the same. GCU isn't going to overwhelm us with their offense, but they'll punish us if we make mistakes with walks. Probably two pretty similar teams in terms of makeup, but the GCU pitchers have more experience / success at this level.

And of course, us not having Overbeek is a tough blow, as his replacement will be getting their first innings and at-bats of the season and it'll almost certainly be someone who will be seeing their first action in an NU uniform. I can't imagine we'll just pop his replacement into the #2 hole, so that means shuffling the lineup as well. Maybe Silva moves up to #2? Or maybe they just slide everyone up a spot and put the new guy in at #8 - I know Bolt loves having a second "lead off" guy in the 9 hole. Carey can certainly hit #2.

Still hoping for a big weekend for us, as these games could end up in Q1 by the end of the season.

GCU beat Ohio St last night 10-3, by the way, to go to 4-0. They've scored a lot of runs late in games against bullpens so far, so our late-inning guys will need to be locked in.

Edited by throwback

1 hour ago, throwback said:

Well, this should be interesting. It appears GCU is using its Friday starter on Thursday. He's probably better than anyone we saw last week. It'd be pretty crazy if we won Thursday.

I'm not surprised NU is leaving Sears on Friday and Walsh on Saturday, as it's better early in the year to give them the full week of rest between starts. Plus that gets those two away from GCU's top arm. And I get giving Christo a start, as he was as close to the #1 guy coming out of fall as we had - maybe he returns to that form out of nowhere against GCU's best pitcher. 

Sears & Walsh have shown they'll attack the zone - now we need the other two guys to do the same. GCU isn't going to overwhelm us with their offense, but they'll punish us if we make mistakes with walks. Probably two pretty similar teams in terms of makeup, but the GCU pitchers have more experience / success at this level.

And of course, us not having Overbeek is a tough blow, as his replacement will be getting their first innings and at-bats of the season and it'll almost certainly be someone who will be seeing their first action in an NU uniform. I can't imagine we'll just pop his replacement into the #2 hole, so that means shuffling the lineup as well. Maybe Silva moves up to #2? Or maybe they just slide everyone up a spot and put the new guy in at #8 - I know Bolt loves having a second "lead off" guy in the 9 hole. Carey can certainly hit #2.

Still hoping for a big weekend for us, as these games could end up in Q1 by the end of the season.

GCU beat Ohio St last night 10-3, by the way, to go to 4-0. They've scored a lot of runs late in games against bullpens so far, so our late-inning guys will need to be locked in.

Appreciate your background info, as always. Thanks @throwback - this series will tell a lot about the grit & toughness of this squad, if they can squeeze out 2-2 from PHX, then I'd be satisfied. I'd imagine @HB would rather it be 4-0. GBR

Post-week 2 update - how our primary non-con opponents are playing:

College of Charleston 7-0

• C of C swept Youngstown by a combined 29-6 in 3 games.
  • Youngstown was 19-36 a year ago, so a 2nd straight weak opponent for C of C, but they took care of business.
  • NEXT UP: NU (4 gms)

South Alabama 7-1

• USA beat SE Louisiana midweek and won 2 of 3 vs J'ville State.
  • USA scored 30 runs in the 4 games.
  • J'ville State was a .500 team a year ago, but a decent test for USA.
  • USA will get tested big time this weekend vs UNCW.
  • NEXT UP: Nicholls (1 game), UNC-Wilmington (3 gms)

Wichita St 3-3

• Lost to Virginia in extra innings, got blown out by Auburn, then beat Iowa 12-6 on Sunday in a tourney.
  • WSU has been competitive against some teams expected to be pretty good.
  • Who knew Utah Tech was a D-1 team? Not me. UTU was 13-39 a year ago.
  • NEXT UP: at Oral Robt (1 gm) Utah Tech (3 gms)

Nicholls 7-1

• Lost to Tulane by 1 midweek before beating an NAIA team and sweeping Eastern Illinois 22-12.
  • EIU was actually 37-21 a year ago, so a decent week for Nicholls.
  • Two tough midweek games coming up before a weak SU team over the weekend.
  • NEXT UP: at Southern Miss (1 gm), at South Alabama (1 gm), vs Southern (3 gms)

New Mexico St 2-6

• Well, there has to be a clunker in the non-con somewhere -- and this is it.
  • Got swept 4 games at McNeese State, although 3 of them were 1-run losses, and McNeese was a decent team a year ago (35-23)
  • Our old friends at Northern Colorado are up next (12-33 a year ago), so NMST should have a chance to improve its record this weekend.
  • NEXT UP: vs Northern Colorado (4 games)

_____

Teams we've played:

Baylor 1-6 (NU W)

• LAST WEEK: 1-0 vs Lamar, 0-3 vs Indiana (outscored 29-10)
  • UP NEXT: vs Abilene Xian (1 gm), vs Oral Robts (3 gms)

Texas Tech 6-2 (NU L)

• LAST WEEK: 1-0 vs UT-Arlington, 0-1 vs Oregon St, 3-0 vs Tex Southern (outscored them 68-14)
  • UP NEXT: vs Gardner-Webb (3 gms)

Oklahoma 5-3 (NU L)

• LAST WEEK: 0-1 vs Dallas Baptist (1 gm) - 3-1 vs Wright St (46-24 cumulative)
  • UP NEXT: vs Pitt, Cal, and Ohio State in Las Vegas Tourney (3 gms)

Grand Canyon 5-3 (NU WWLW)

• LAST WEEK: 1-0 vs Ohio State, 1-3 vs Nebraska
  • UP NEXT: at UTSA (3 gms)

Edited by throwback

On 2/21/2024 at 4:43 PM, throwback said:

For HB's sake, I hope they sell beer in the stadium. Thursday night may not be a fun watch sober. 😁 Hope I'm wrong.

No beer sales.  😟  But that game was fun.   At GCU, they have a student say a prayer over the PA system before the National Anthem.   Not sure the GCU players were listening.

56 minutes ago, throwback said:

Penn State destroying Stanford on the road in the first two games of their series by a combined 28-6 this past weekend might be the biggest surprise of the entire season so far. Stanford is clearly down this season - especially on the mound - but still....

It’s always interesting seeing whose records are inflated and deflated due to schedule this time of year.

Teams like Purdue look pretty at 6-2 until you see who they’ve played.  Us at 4-3 looks surprisingly mediocre until you see who we’ve played.

11 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

It’s always interesting seeing whose records are inflated and deflated due to schedule this time of year.

Teams like Purdue look pretty at 6-2 until you see who they’ve played.  Us at 4-3 looks surprisingly mediocre until you see who we’ve played.

We could easily be 7-0. we had control of the games that we lost.