B1G Tournament

11 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Did we even hit one that could have carried?  I don’t think we barreled a ball all night unless you count Bryce’s single.

I thought Bryce's 1st at bat was hit just as well, and ended up being a fly out at the wall.  Maryland had 2 balls that were hit probably hit just as well.  Both balls were caught on the warning track.

4 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

After NU didn't catch the foul ball pop up, I had a weird feeling that would spell doom. It did. A 2-1 loss in 10th inn. on a walk-off HR. Bummer. Need to re-group quickly while Maryland gets yet another day off, must be nice to be the #1 seed.

I don't mind the off day tomorrow.   They won 2 games and deserve it.  The off day after the 1st day is my beef.

8 minutes ago, brfrad said:

I thought Bryce's 1st at bat was hit just as well, and ended up being a fly out at the wall.  Maryland had 2 balls that were hit probably hit just as well.  Both balls were caught on the warning track.

That’s true… but that was also about 6 hours ago… I can’t remember that far back lol

Edited by hskr4life

Hell of a baseball game, but what a gut punch loss - to pitch that well against that team for 9 2/3 innings and then to lose it on a HR that scrapes the back of the outfield wall was crushing.

The work on the mound brought back memories of what NU did to Arkansas in that first regional championship game a couple years ago, except I think this MD team is better offensively than those Hogs.

Shay was sooooo close to getting through that 10th 1-2-3, but MD's hitter managed to keep fouling good pitches into the seats before he finally got a slight hanger and put a good swing on it.

Jace was as good as he's been all year - he stayed up in the zone, knowing the ball wasn't going to carry at night in that park, and MD played into it. His off-speed stuff was great, too.

Ultimately, we just couldn't hit fastballs last night. Dean for MD was mixing things up very well, as he had his off-speed stuff working nicely, but we just didn't seem ready for the fastball in the zone from any of their pitchers. I thought we had a lot of late and indecisive swings on fastballs. That's really disappointing. At this level, you have to punish fastballs when you get them in favorable counts.

Also HATED that we brought the infield in on Shaw when he singled up the middle to tie it at 1. Should've been an RBI groundout with the infield back. If you have a chance to hold MD to a single run in the middle innings, you take it, rather than risking giving up a crooked number. Now Jace - eventually - worked around the trouble and kept them to a 1, but maybe we could've gotten another inning out of him if we play that inning safer.

I will admit that I hated it at the time because I was sure there was no way we were winning that game 1-0, yet, had Shaw hit that grounder directly at Matthews, we might've gotten out of that inning with a zero and potentially could've won 1-0, so maybe the coaches actually know what they're doing more than me. 😁 Still, I hated the decision in the moment. The game nearly got away from us right there.

Pretty much next to impossible to get to Sunday at this point, let alone win the whole thing. To have any shot, the offense has to crank up big time, and we're going to need unexpected dominant pitching performances from guys like Brockett, Sears, Walsh, Perry, Bunz, and Christo. Each of those guys does have a great performance in them, but they all have to do it now. No room for error.

Weird things do happen in this tournament, and our offense generally has punished pitchers once we get past the top few guys on a pitching staff, but it's a tall, tall hill at this point.

8 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I do have to say I haven’t seen any big 10 team that will get out of the first round. Might not even win a game. This year is just down all around.

Agreed - I think MD could advance with the perfect situation, like a hitter friendly ballpark. But they'd need a lot of good luck to get the right matchups.

I hate to say it, but Iowa might be the team that has the best chance to advance out of a regional - they can win a lot of different ways. Have to go vomit now.

Hopefully the boys play with a little extra something now that our season is on the line.  

Screw looking ahead and saving pitchers and what not.  Now that we’re playing for our lives, it’s win today and worry about tomorrow after.  Do what we need to do to win the day.