Jump to content

College Football Playoffs HHC


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I struggle with the concept of more games for the student-athlete.  Other than that, I like the concept of an eight team playoff.

FCS teams play 4 to 5 playoff games (with an 11 game schedule and no CCGs, right?) 

 

An 8 team playoff for FBS would put them at a similiar number of games.

 

If FCS student-athletes can handle it, i think FBS ones can.

 

What specific type of 8 team playoff model would you like to see?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Top 10: 1. Bama 2. OSU 3. Notre Dame 4. Clemson 5. LSU 6. Michigan 7. Georgia 8. Texas 9. Oklahoma 10. Florida Considered: Oregon, Kentucky, N

Overtime, 23-17 UW. Nebraska had several convert'able' chances to win at the end of regulation.... and in OT. Ughh.  

Got to go with Alabama at #1.  No one has even come close to them yet this year. Up until this week, I had the Big 12 as possibility of being out of playoffs.  OU and WVU have to go into their

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:17 PM, HuskerFever said:

Or how about we get rid of those Alabama vs. The Citadel games and replace it with a playoff game?

Or maybe have all conferences play 9 conference games.  The SEC is the only P5 conference with 8 conference games.

 

I think you eliminate a game and conferences go to 8 games, 11 overall.  Each P5 conference sends their champ.  One G5 champ goes, and 2 at large bids.  It will be tough to pass as AD's and Presidents don't want to eliminate the revenue from an extra game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, brfrad said:

Or maybe have all conferences play 9 conference games.  The SEC is the only P5 conference with 8 conference games.

 

I think you eliminate a game and conferences go to 8 games, 11 overall.  Each P5 conference sends their champ.  One G5 champ goes, and 2 at large bids.  It will be tough to pass as AD's and Presidents don't want to eliminate the revenue from an extra game.

ACC also plays 8

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, brfrad said:

Or maybe have all conferences play 9 conference games.  The SEC is the only P5 conference with 8 conference games.

 

I think you eliminate a game and conferences go to 8 games, 11 overall.  Each P5 conference sends their champ.  One G5 champ goes, and 2 at large bids.  It will be tough to pass as AD's and Presidents don't want to eliminate the revenue from an extra game.

But thats the playoff format I am in favor of. I would also add in home games through the semifinals and a neutral site NCG. Last thing I would add is top 4 seeds go to conference champions (wildcards not eligible to host QF games to emphasize conference champions)

 

This is what that scenario would look like rn:

(8) UCF @ (1) Alabama

(4) Notre Dame @ (4) Oklahoma

(6) Georgia @ (3) Michigan

(7) Washington St @ (2) Clemson

 

Edited by khoock
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

It's looking like this for me:

 

1. Alabama

2. Clemson

3. Notre Dame

4. Oklahoma (should be 5, but the committee will have them at 4 until the conference championship games)

5. Georgia

6. Ohio State

7. Central Florida

Agreed. Clemson and Bama are pretty interchangeable imo. Oklahoma will be 5 in the actual rankings. But shouldnt matter if Bama is as good as they are hyped up to be.

 

ESPN is already making a case for Ohio State. A very hard case. Oklahoma has a better resume currently. And plays a better opponent for CCG weekend (which if they win, would avenge their lone loss) so it shouldnt really matter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2018 at 3:21 PM, khoock said:

Agreed. Clemson and Bama are pretty interchangeable imo. Oklahoma will be 5 in the actual rankings. But shouldnt matter if Bama is as good as they are hyped up to be.

 

ESPN is already making a case for Ohio State. A very hard case. Oklahoma has a better resume currently. And plays a better opponent for CCG weekend (which if they win, would avenge their lone loss) so it shouldnI t really matter.

I don't understand the love for Ohio State.  They loss by 29 to a 6 win team.  They beat a 5 win team in OT.  They beat a 4 win team by 5.  It says more about the play-off teams.  Alabama and Clemson are head and shoulders better than everyone.  Notre Dame has beat everyone on their schedule,  they will be the 3rd team.  Oklahoma has no defense.   They haven't done much to deserve a shot.  Georgia even with a loss might be more deserving than OU and OSU.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, brfrad said:

I don't understand the love for Ohio State.  They loss by 29 to a 6 win team.  They beat a 5 win team in OT.  They beat a 4 win team by 5.  It says more about the play-off teams.  Alabama and Clemson are head and shoulders better than everyone.  Notre Dame has beat everyone on their schedule,  they will be the 3rd team.  Oklahoma has no defense.   They haven't done much to deserve a shot.  Georgia even with a loss might be more deserving than OU and OSU.

IMHO, if Georgia loses, they are out (unless both Oklahoma and Ohio State lose their games).  If they would get in as a fourth seed after losing to Bama, they would turn around and play them in back-to-back games.  Not only would that be unfair to Bama, but it would crappy for the fans as well.  If Georgia loses and both Ohio State and Oklahoma wins, it would be an interesting time behind closed doors for the committee.  I have heard compelling arguments for both OSU and OU.  But I would guess it would be Oklahoma as the number four team.  They will have avenged their only loss of the year.  

 

Bama v. Oklahoma and Clemson v. N.D.  Both would be very watchable games.  

 

Now, If Georgia happens to beat Alabama, we would have a much more interesting debate.  I would suggest that if Bama loses, they would drop to the #4 seed and the final four would be Clemson v. Bama and Georgia v. ND.  

 

I won't even get into the scenario if Pitt beats Clemson, and if Texas defeats Oklahoma and Georgia defeats Alabama.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

IMHO, if Georgia loses, they are out (unless both Oklahoma and Ohio State lose their games).  If they would get in as a fourth seed after losing to Bama, they would turn around and play them in back-to-back games.  Not only would that be unfair to Bama, but it would crappy for the fans as well.  If Georgia loses and both Ohio State and Oklahoma wins, it would be an interesting time behind closed doors for the committee.  I have heard compelling arguments for both OSU and OU.  But I would guess it would be Oklahoma as the number four team.  They will have avenged their only loss of the year.  

 

Bama v. Oklahoma and Clemson v. N.D.  Both would be very watchable games.  

 

Now, If Georgia happens to beat Alabama, we would have a much more interesting debate.  I would suggest that if Bama loses, they would drop to the #4 seed and the final four would be Clemson v. Bama and Georgia v. ND.  

 

I won't even get into the scenario if Pitt beats Clemson, and if Texas defeats Oklahoma and Georgia defeats Alabama.

I agree Georgia would not get in.  I was just thinking they have a better resume than OU and OSU.   I would give the nod to OU if they win.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oklahoma has the better resume right now AND they play the higher ranked team today (which would avenge their only loss of the season). If both Oklahoma and Ohio State win I see no way how the committee could move Ohio State ahead.

 

What im interested to see is if Bama gets boat raced by Georgia do they get in still (i know not very likely)? But with a loss their resume isnt anymore impressive than anyone elses imo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

If Alabama loses, will the argument include what team is the most entertaining team? 

 

The most interesting arguments could come if that 5% scenario occurs and both Alabama and Clemson loses.   

I would love to see a scenario where Bama and Clemson lose with Georgia, Oklahoma, and Ohio State winning. That gives you 5 teams at 12-1 and an undefeated Notre Dame for the four playoff spots.

Link to post
Share on other sites

With the playoff format i would like to see would look like this for this season:

 

(8) Washington @ (1) Alabama

(5) Ohio State @ (4) Oklahoma

(6) Georgia @ (3) Notre Dame

(7) UCF @ (2) Clemson

 

A weak Pac-12 champion and UCF being without star quarterback McKenzie Milton would put a little bit of a damper on the first round games. But in most years this would result in a lot of intriguing quarter final matchups.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, khoock said:

Heard on the radio that K-State really wants to try and grab Brent Venables (Clemson DC). Apparently hes an alum or from the area.

I heard he turned down $5 mil a year. 

 

Klieman from NDSU is who I’m hearing (had the school wrong initially). 

Edited by atskooc
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...