Selection Committee Games of Interest

hhctony

Just now, GBR1197 said:

This is a selection committee games of interest thread, right?

Yes and Arizona State is officially a bubble team.

Sad thing is that they play California and Stanford next week, so there are two probable wins.  HOWEVER, there are two bad losses as well.  Both games are at home however.

40 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

The problem is that you're thinking of the Warriors competing against the other NBA teams and mentally equating that to "the open market."  It's not.  The Warriors are part of the joint venture that is the NBA and, as such, they have a mutual fiduciary responsibility to the other stakeholders.  The teams may compete on the court, but that competition is not a market competition.  It's not the same as Ford and GM competing to sell you a car, or two corner gas stations competing to fill your new car with gas, etc.  The actual open market competition is the NBA competing for your entertainment dollars against the NFL, Virgin Records, and MGM Studios.  If the "open market" was really each NBA team competing against each other, then it wouldn't be possible for the other franchise's owners to vote an owner out...but it is possible, because it's a joint venture, not a "market." 

So, back to the NCAA (which is also an awful lot like a joint venture) and whether they should allow schools to pay players.  The answer is "no," unless the NCAA starts losing its market share.  If American high schoolers start playing ball in Europe rather than in the NCAA, and if that causes fans to start watching Euro leagues instead of March Madness, then that's when they should consider paying players more than their scholarships.  But paying players will result in less parity, so that too has to be taken into account with whether having a bunch of blowouts on TV will hurt viewership (hint: it will).  The NCAA needs to do what best allows it to compete against the NBA (and the NFL, and Virgin Records, and MGM Studios...), while balancing its fiduciary responsibilities to member institutions.

I'm always confused and amused when fans look at the NCAA and players in D1 sports, and somehow see the NCAA as the victim.  Or the primary concern.  It's like rooting for the Yankees.  How about less emphasis on the bottom line for the NCAA, and allowing the players to get a share of the profit generated off their labor?  Who cares how the NCAA competes with NBA and NFL and Rough Trade Records?  I don't buy that line of reasoning to begin with.  A scholarship, in 2018, is in no way, shape, or form appropriate compensation for a D1 NCAA basketball player.   CBS is paying 8.8 BILLION for the rights to the NCAA Tourney.  I think a rational place to start would be 8.8 Billion on one side of the scale, and whatever number you want to dream up for the value of a scholarship, room and board, and whatnot on the other.  Considering player compensation has to be viewed in those terms.  So, the slow-mo emergency of the apparent pay to play scandal doesn't bother me that much.  Other than it being against the rules, I have a begrudging admiration for the players  who are able to monetize their skills within the NCAA system.  Pretending it's some big moral outrage takes several blind eyes to the reality of  the way the NCAA "amatuer" sports system is run, how much money it generates for damn near everyone but the players, and outdated social notions about the sporting life at the ol' alma mater .

7 minutes ago, wordyginters said:

I'm always confused and amused when fans look at the NCAA and players in D1 sports, and somehow see the NCAA as the victim.  Or the primary concern.  It's like rooting for the Yankees.  How about less emphasis on the bottom line for the NCAA, and allowing the players to get a share of the profit generated off their labor?  Who cares how the NCAA competes with NBA and NFL and Rough Trade Records?  I don't buy that line of reasoning to begin with.  A scholarship, in 2018, is in no way, shape, or form appropriate compensation for a D1 NCAA basketball player.   CBS is paying 8.8 BILLION for the rights to the NCAA Tourney.  I think a rational place to start would be 8.8 Billion on one side of the scale, and whatever number you want to dream up for the value of a scholarship, room and board, and whatnot on the other.  Considering player compensation has to be viewed in those terms.  So, the slow-mo emergency of the apparent pay to play scandal doesn't bother me that much.  Other than it being against the rules, I have a begrudging admiration for the players  who are able to monetize their skills within the NCAA system.  Pretending it's some big moral outrage takes several blind eyes to the reality of  the way the NCAA "amatuer" sports system is run, how much money it generates for damn near everyone but the players, and outdated social notions about the sporting life at the ol' alma mater .

Not targeting you specifically, but can we please move this conversation to the college basketball forum?  I keep getting on here thinking we have a legit bubble update only to see more of this conversation of whether a white lie is still as bad as a regular lie to the natural observer.

On 2/23/2018 at 12:03 AM, HuskerFever said:

We have a lot more work to do...

Lunardi's bubble watch, updated Feb. 22:

Last Four Byes
Kansas State: at Oklahoma, Tuesday at TCU, Saturday vs Baylor
Providence: at Georgetown, Wednesday at Xavier, Saturday vs St. John's
NC State: Sunday vs Florida State, Thursday at Georgia Tech, Saturday vs Louisville
Baylor: at TCU, Tuesday vs Oklahoma, Saturday at Kansas State

Last Four In
St. Bonaventure: at VCU, Tuesday vs Davidson, Saturday at Saint Louis
Syracuse: at Duke, Wednesday at Boston College, Saturday vs Clemson
Louisville: at Virginia Tech, Thursday vs Virginia, Saturday at NC State
USC: at Utah, Saturday vs UCLA

First Four Out
UCLA: at Utah, Sunday at Colorado, Saturday at USC
Texas: vs Oklahoma State, Monday at Kansas, Saturday vs West Virginia
Washington: at Stanford, Saturday at California, Thursday vs Oregon State, Saturday vs Oregon
Penn State: Sunday at Nebraska

Next Four Out
Nebraska: Sunday vs Penn State
Boise State: Tuesday at San Diego State, Saturday vs Wyoming
Utah: vs UCLA, vs USC, Saturday vs Colorado
Georgia: vs LSU, Wednesday vs Texas A&M, Saturday at Tennessee

Updated.

Just now, HuskerFever said:

I want to have this conversation/rant before the next bubble watch comes out. Syracuse HAS to be out of the conversation at this point, right??? I know they beat the surging Buffalo, but c'mon man!

I said that about ASU, OU, Syracuse, Louisville, and many others..... Yet somehow they always find a way ahead of the Huskers.

2 minutes ago, wordyginters said:

I'm always confused and amused when fans look at the NCAA and players in D1 sports, and somehow see the NCAA as the victim.  Or the primary concern.  It's like rooting for the Yankees. 

Where did I say the NCAA is a victim?  I didn't and they're not.  They're running a business and competing in the entertainment market.  My point is that people have the misconception that teams = businesses and should be able to compete (in the economics sense, not the athletic sense) however they want because free will and stuff.  This is simply not true.  There have even been judges that determined entire sports leagues to be just large sole proprietorships, since the teams don't ever enter the market independent of one another.

How about less emphasis on the bottom line for the NCAA, and allowing the players to get a share of the profit generated off their labor?  Who cares how the NCAA competes with NBA and NFL and Rough Trade Records?  I don't buy that line of reasoning to begin with. 

If you're a fan of college athletics, you should care.  If the NCAA doesn't maintain financial viability, it goes away.  And it's not like all schools will be able to pay their student athletes, and certainly not be able to pay even remotely equally.  Opening the pay-for-play door is going to create even more separation between the haves and have-nots, which again is not good if you're a fan of college athletics. 

A scholarship, in 2018, is in no way, shape, or form appropriate compensation for a D1 NCAA basketball player.   CBS is paying 8.8 BILLION for the rights to the NCAA Tourney.  I think a rational place to start would be 8.8 Billion on one side of the scale, and whatever number you want to dream up for the value of a scholarship, room and board, and whatnot on the other.  Considering player compensation has to be viewed in those terms. 

The problem is that the breadwinner sports keep entire athletic departments afloat.  And there's that whole Title IX thing, so you're not just paying the athletes that bring in revenue, you also have to pay the women's gymnastics team who is already a drain on your funds.  Look at a ledger for a school like Kansas State and tell me here the money is coming from.  The NCAA is protecting its member institutions, which exactly what it is supposed to do.

So, the slow-mo emergency of the apparent pay to play scandal doesn't bother me that much.  Other than it being against the rules, I have a begrudging admiration for the players  who are able to monetize their skills within the NCAA system.  Pretending it's some big moral outrage takes several blind eyes to the reality of  the way the NCAA "amatuer" sports system is run, how much money it generates for damn near everyone but the players, and outdated social notions about the sporting life at the ol' alma mater .

No response needed.

Responses in italics.

15 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Not targeting you specifically, but can we please move this conversation to the college basketball forum?  I keep getting on here thinking we have a legit bubble update only to see more of this conversation of whether a white lie is still as bad as a regular lie to the natural observer.

Sorry, I was mid-reply when you typed that.  I won't respond anymore in this thread with regard to the pay-for-play issue.

2 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

At first glance I thought @LetsGoPeay said @LetsGoPee.  I chuckled a little.  Now I'm disappointed.

I'm only giving you an up arrow because I'm now thinking "What do those fans in Tennessee say to other fans when they're watching the game on TV? Or what do they say when they cross paths on campus?" Let's go Peay.

4 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I'm only giving you an up arrow because I'm now thinking "What do those fans in Tennessee say to other fans when they're watching the game on TV? Or what do they say when they cross paths on campus?" Let's go Peay.

I just looked up the pronunciation of "Peay," and apparently it's the same as "pee."  I always (mistakenly) assumed it was pronounced the same as "pay."  My disappointment is gone.

This oregon- zona game has been a fun watch. Just wish I didn't have to listen to Walton and his crazy, big mouth. 

Looks like the ducks got thus one. OT. Not good for us, but at this point who cares. Teams will make runs at the bubble and are desperate. 

I'm just glad to see the cats lose, I don't like those guys 

10 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Michigan 24/Maryland 59 - 11am ESPN Michigan - 1 1/2  Need Michigan
Marquette 57/DePaul 175 - 11am on some fsn regions so those with satty might get it somehow  Marquette - 2 1/2 Need DePaul

Providence 48/Georgetown 133 - 11am  CBS SportsNetwork  Georgetown - 1 1/2  Need Georgetown
Seton Hall 22/St. John's 76 - 11am FOX St. Johns - 2 1/2   Need St. Johns
Baylor 58/TCU 20 - 11am ESPN2  TCU -5 Need TCU
Louisville 47/Virginia Tech  49 - 12pm CBS  Va TEch -3  Need Virginia Tech
Boston College 98/Miami  29-  1pm ESPN Full Court/ESPN3  Miami - 7 1/2  Need Boston College

LSU 75/Georgia  70- 1pm ESPNU Georgia - 4 1/2  Need Georgia
Oklahoma State  93/Texas 53 - 1pm Texas -5  Longhorn Network only I believe Need Oklahoma St
Illinois State 86/Loyola-Chicago 32 - 1pm ESPN2  Loyola - 12 Need illinois St
Villanova 3/Creighton  41 - 1:30  FOX Villanova - 6 1/2  I am going with Villanova here.  There is a real shot of Creighton falling out, opening up a bid.  I think it is worth the risk potentially but neither result bad here.  
USC 35/Utah  42- 1:30  Pac 12 Network  utah -3  Not sure but lean USC as home loss would shake up the apple cart more perhaps
Notre Dame 68/Wake Forest  130 - 2pm ESP Full Court/ESPN3  Pick em  Need Wake Forest
South Carolina  72/Mississippi State 63 - 2:30 SEC Network Mississippi St. -7 Need South Carolina
Ohio 218/Buffalo 37 - 2:30 ESPN3   Buffalo - 13  Need Ohio
Texas A&M 27/Vanderbilt  112 - 3pm ESPN2  Texas AM - 1 1/2  Need Vanderbilt
Northern Colorado 123/North Dakota  227 -3pm  pluto tv online  N. Colorado - 5 1/2  Need N. Dakota

Delaware State/Howard - 3pm http://www.hubison.com/showcase/embed.aspx?Live=45  Not sure it will work   no line   Need Delaware St
Kansas 7/Texas Tech 17 - 3:15 ESPN Texas Tech - 1 1/2  Need Kansas
SIU-Edwardsville/Eastern Illinois - 3:15
http://ovcdigitalnetwork.com/watch/?Live=6320&type=Live  E. Illinois -6  Need E. Illinois
Washington 54/California  210- 3:30 Pac 12 Network Washington - 2 1/2  Need California
Arkansas 34/Alabama 28 - 5pm SEC Network  Alabama -5  Need Alabama
Kansas State 52/Oklahoma 33 -  5pm ESPN2  Oklahoma - 5 1/2  Need Kansas St. IMO as I don't think OU as secure as many bracket folks and Kansas st. 9-6 in that league is going to dance

Syracuse 46/Duke 4 - 5:15 ESPN Duke -13  Need Duke
UAB 193/Middle Tennessee 23 - 6pm Facebook live  Middle Tennessee St. -8  Need UAB
South Dakota State 60/Fort Wayne 191 - 6pm
http://www.gomastodons.com/watch/?Live=598&type=Live  S. Dakota St -1  Need Fort Waye
Vermont 51/Stony Brook  219- 6pm ESPN3  No line  Need Stony Brook
North Texas 209/Florida Atlantic 272 - 6pm fausports.tv may be premium  N. Texas - 1 1/2  Need N. Texas
Old Dominion 73/Western Kentucky 62 - 6pm
https://watchstadium.com/live/odu-at-wku/ Western Kentucky -2  Need Old Dominion
Arizona State 30/Oregon State 173 - 7pm ESPNU  Arizona St -2  Need Oregon St. 
St. Bonaventure 25/VCU  128- 7pm CBS Sports Network  St. Bonaventure - 1 1/2  Need VCU
Louisiana Tech 181/UT San Antonio  189 - 7pm http://conferenceusa.com/watch/default.aspx?Live=3631&path=utsa  UTSA -2  Need UTSA
Louisiana 39/South Alabama 265- 7pm https://www.usajaguars.com/watch/?Live=1001&type=Archive Louisiana - 10 1/2  Need South Alabama
Missouri  40/Kentucky 16 - 7:15 ESPN Kentucky - 6  Need Kentucky IMO
Auburn 6/Florida 65 - 7:30 SEC Network Florida -2  Need Auburn
UMKC 243/New Mexico State 55 -8pm ESPN Full Court/ESPN3  no line Need UMKC
Long Beach State 202/CS Fullerton  153- 9pm ESPN2  Fullerton - 4 1/2  Need Long Beach St
Arizona 18/Oregon 82 - 9:15 ESPN Oregon -4  Need Arizona

Others

Santa Clara 252 at St. Mary's 36   5pm ESPN Full Court  St. Mary's - 18 Need Santa Clara

Updated.

More bad than good. Two bad Saturdays in a row. Only one more Saturday to take advantage of this season.

Sunday's Games of Interest:

Michigan State/Wisconsin - knock MSU to #2
UCF/Temple - RPI boost
Furman/East Tennessee State - should be done, but one more for good measure
Marist/Canisius - as if we didn't get enough Marist hoops in life
Illinois/Rutgers - going with Illinois since it was our only bad loss
UCLA/Colorado - really need some help from CU
Penn State/Nebraska - no brainer
Florida State/NC State - knock off NC State

BONUS (women's hoops): Nebraska/#13 Maryland - final regular season game; Nebraska is currently in the "First Four Out"

Monday's Games of Interest:

Duke/Virginia Tech - beat VaTech
Marquette/Georgetown - need Georgetown to win
Delaware State/Marland-Eastern Shore - our favorite opponent
Stetson/Lipscomb - RPI boost
Texas/Kansas - knock off Texas

Tuesday's Games of Interest:

Tennessee/Mississippi State - knock off MSU
Florida/Alabama - tough one, going with Florida
Missouri/Vanderbilt - need Vandy
Oklahoma State/Iowa State - need ISU to win
Akron/Buffalo - get the final knockout on Buffalo
Vermont/Maine - just beat Vermont already
Miami/North Carolina - may not matter, but beating Miami wouldn't hurt
Auburn/Arkansas - need Auburn
DePaul/Creighton - sure.
Oklahoma/Baylor - flipping and going with OU on this one due to last games' results
Kansas State/TCU - knock off KSU
Davidson/St. Bonaventure - need some Steph Curry magic
Boise State/San Diego State - knock off BSU

And then we start the one-week-early Big Ten Tournament this Wednesday, sit around on our hands, and hope other teams find a way to collapse.