Iowa (23-17) vs. Nebraska (27-13) Series Game Thread

10 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

Winner, winner stuffed Mexican meatloaf dinner!  That's what I'm cooking tonight.  My apologies, bugeaters. 🙂

No problem Cip, I'm helping the wife with supper. We are have pork cutlets, smashed taters and gravey.

• Bugeaters1 changed the title to Iowa (23-17) vs. Nebraska (27-13) Series Game Thread

Well, game 3 wasn't fun, but I felt like the entire weekend was as good as we've played as a whole in a while. We swung the bats very well till we ran into Brecht. The only crooked number inning we allowed the entire weekend was in the first inning on Friday, which is extremely impressive against an Iowa team that can really hit. And our pitchers kept us in it in Game 3 when it would've been easy to be satisfied with getting the first 2 and let it get out of control. 

Brecht is just on another level when he's on his game. He's going to be a first-round draft pick in a couple months for a reason, although he hasn't always lived up to that arm talent in college so far. However, that's back to back completely dominant performances from him. If I'm Iowa, I'm starting him in their B1G tourney opener on Tuesday or Wednesday and hoping to get to Sunday and start him again. That's their only hope, as their bullpen is mostly garbage. I know this - nobody wants to end up on Iowa's side of the bracket and have to face him in Omaha if he's going like he was today.

Had plenty of time to think about this as we were striking out and striking out and striking out (at least most of them, if not all, were swinging today) - I think what he did today was one of the top 5 pitching performances -- when you combine what the pitcher did and the overwhelming arm talent -- I've seen in our building and certainly the best one since we joined the B1G. Komine & Joba make my list, along with Street from Texas. When Scherzer was at Mizzou, he took us down on a Friday night in a fashion where we were completely helpless like what we saw today, expect that NU team was more talented on offense, so that's #1 for me. But I think I'd put what I saw today in the top 5. We just had no chance today. He was that good.

Still, I'm optimistic about what I saw overall. I'm hoping it's the start of turning the corner back to more like what we did earlier in the year. Two very tough midweek games coming up and then we need to go up to Minny and dominate. Heard a bit of chatter today that Worthley may start Tuesday up in Omaha and try to give us 3 or 4 innings. We'll see. 

Edited by throwback

Just now, hskr4life said:

Hope all is well and you are ok-- just didn't want to sound like "that guy" if you were being a little sarcastic.

It wasn't at my place, I run my own biz in assess/eval. bldgs. & I feel at times like I work around the clock... So, yeah, I was spending some time this weekend responding to others' horrific aftermath. I am proud to know many, many Nebraskans/W. Iowans who are a resilient lot. Strong ppl abound. And, yes, the distraction of sports is nice to have around to take a bit of time removed from the awful aftermath that has been prevalent weather-wise, So, h4l, carry on.

BTW, if I am being sarcastic, I will usually add an emoji... 😉 -- I forgot to for @jimmykc about something and he wasn't sure what "The Office" meme was about.