Iowa (23-17) vs. Nebraska (27-13) Series Game Thread

I have to admit I'm feeling very uneasy about this series. Iowa has dominated us over the past several years and is starting to play better. They can really score, so no lead is safe. Add in all the uncertainty with weather, and it's going to be a disjointed weekend that's going to test our mettle.

I didn't realize Iowa has been starting Brecht on Sundays lately, so, even though Iowa is TBD all weekend, we probably aren't going to get the massive pitching matchup tonight. That also makes Friday & Saturday even bigger, because if Brecht is on, we're not winning Sunday. (Now, he's not always on, but he definitely was last week against RU.)

We'll see if Iowa moves Brecht to a different day, though, because they sure don't want to have to skip his start if Sunday's game can't be played. Iowa did bus to Lincoln, so we can delay quite a bit on Sunday if needed without violating the B1G's rules about when games have to start / end on Sunday.

We have to manage the weather tonight. We don't want Sears warming up and then having to delay the start or stop the game after an inning or two. We may have to put the tarp on the field and delay the start, even if it doesn't look like it'll rain for a few hours, just to ensure we can give Sears as normal of a start as possible. I hate gamesmanship like that, but our coaches may have to engage in some of that tonight to really manage things, because Sears is so important to our chances to win the series.

Having said that, it looks like right now we may get a dry slot from 5-11-ish pm after some nasty storms mid-afternoon, so we may be able to go on time or with a slight delay for field work.

Hope the boys are up for the challenge!

4 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Why do you start your best picther on Sunday?

They might not consider him their best pitcher.  Obermueller is probably slightly more effective than him.  Morgan was 2nd team All Big 10 last year.  Probably thinking he will right the ship.

Iowa has no starter that will get you deep into games.  All 3 starters average less than 5 innings.   Most likely the reason their bullpen stinks this year.

Sitting around and waiting out a lightning delay because you're sure they're going to restart it is one of those times when being an eternal optimist makes you feel stupid  😂 Nearly everyone else was way smarter and headed for the exits.

Too bad they had to stop it because we were really rolling at the plate today. Getting into that IU bullpen is always a good thing.

Mac wasn't his sharpest, but he was still pretty good. Did a great job keeping the ball down for the most part. That double play comebacker lineout was huge to avoid potentially big problems. And to work around that leadoff double in the 5th was really good pitching. The bullpen was stirring around after that hit, but he dialed in nicely instead of peeking over his shoulder at what was going on down there. Clark was the one moving around, so it wouldn't surprise me if he gets the ball first when / if we resume.

I really like our approach at the plate this weekend. Best it's been in a while. Much more aggressive early in the count and being ready to hit. IU's starter's changeup was filthy early, and it was tough to handle, especially for the lefties, but he started to lose it as he got tired.

Stokes really impressed me today. That 2-run single going the other way against the shift was perfect fundamentals.

We also got a couple of very nice bunts down today, even though IU knew the bunts were coming.

We'll see how many innings we can get in tomorrow. Unfortunately, if / after we finish game 2, we'll have to take 30-40 minutes between games, which is time that we potentially can't afford to give up. Looks like rain chances diminish as the day goes along, but it's never 0%. IU bussed over, so there's no curfew to catch a plane, but there will be a drop dead time per B1G rules. Just not sure when it is. Maybe 6 or 7 pm? Just a guess. 

20 minutes ago, throwback said:

Sitting around and waiting out a lightning delay because you're sure they're going to restart it is one of those times when being an eternal optimist makes you feel stupid  😂 Nearly everyone else was way smarter and headed for the exits.

Too bad they had to stop it because we were really rolling at the plate today. Getting into that IU bullpen is always a good thing.

Mac wasn't his sharpest, but he was still pretty good. Did a great job keeping the ball down for the most part. That double play comebacker lineout was huge to avoid potentially big problems. And to work around that leadoff double in the 5th was really good pitching. The bullpen was stirring around after that hit, but he dialed in nicely instead of peeking over his shoulder at what was going on down there. Clark was the one moving around, so it wouldn't surprise me if he gets the ball first when / if we resume.

I really like our approach at the plate this weekend. Best it's been in a while. Much more aggressive early in the count and being ready to hit. IU's starter's changeup was filthy early, and it was tough to handle, especially for the lefties, but he started to lose it as he got tired.

Stokes really impressed me today. That 2-run single going the other way against the shift was perfect fundamentals.

We also got a couple of very nice bunts down today, even though IU knew the bunts were coming.

We'll see how many innings we can get in tomorrow. Unfortunately, if / after we finish game 2, we'll have to take 30-40 minutes between games, which is time that we potentially can't afford to give up. Looks like rain chances diminish as the day goes along, but it's never 0%. IU bussed over, so there's no curfew to catch a plane, but there will be a drop dead time per B1G rules. Just not sure when it is. Maybe 6 or 7 pm? Just a guess. 

Is that protocol not to have a plane to catch?

9 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Is that protocol not to have a plane to catch?

Well, if they have to catch a plane, the deadline usually is earlier in the day, like mid-afternoon or whatever the airline schedule says it is.

Since IU bussed, they don't have to leave based on an airline schedule and they can wait out the full time to finish the series, per B1G rules.

I believe B1G rules give you 72 hours to finish the series from the time the other team arrives in town. So if IU got here at 7 pm Thursday, we could play till 7 pm Sunday. I'm not 100% certain if that 72-hour rule is still in effect, though, because it comes up so rarely. Almost no one busses anymore when they play us because of the long trip to Lincoln, so we're almost always working around a curfew based on plane departure times instead of the 72-hour rule.

It's too bad that we can't just count this game as an official game 8-1 final, since we got thru 5 innings, and worry about just playing the Sunday game tomorrow. It'd be a lot easier to just try to fit in 9 innings while dodging the rain than 13-ish innings.

Rules don't allow that, though, when we're still within the 72-hour series window. Have to finish the 2nd game before you can start the 3rd game.

One thing I'm not sure about is whether the 10-run rule may now go into effect for game 2 since we're finishing it on Sunday. It'd be nice if it did, but I don't think it does. I think the 10-run rule only is in effect for a game 3.

If we do get to start game 3 Sunday, it's vital to get off to a quick start, which won't be easy against Brecht. That one could end after 5 innings if they hit the time deadline or if rain stops it and they can't restart it before the deadline. Unfortunately, that scenario would play into IU's hands, as Brecht rarely goes beyond 5-6 innings anyway. 

6 minutes ago, throwback said:

Well, if they have to catch a plane, the deadline usually is earlier in the day, like mid-afternoon or whatever the airline schedule says it is.

Since IU bussed, they don't have to leave based on an airline schedule and they can wait out the full time to finish the series, per B1G rules.

I believe B1G rules give you 72 hours to finish the series from the time the other team arrives in town. So if IU got here at 7 pm Thursday, we could play till 7 pm Sunday. I'm not 100% certain if that 72-hour rule is still in effect, though, because it comes up so rarely. Almost no one busses anymore when they play us because of the long trip to Lincoln, so we're almost always working around a curfew based on plane departure times instead of the 72-hour rule.

I was referring to Lisa Bluder and her BS about catching a plane.