5 Rutgers

6 NU & Illinois

8 Ohio St

9 Penn St

10 Michigan

11 Purdue

12 Minny

13 N'western

We miss the underlined teams on the schedule. Now, his formula predicts Iowa to go 24-0 and Maryland to go 23-1, so I'm not sure how much stock to put into it. I've never found Warren Nolan's site to be all that good at predictive metrics. But at least it's something.

Our non-con opponents' predicted conference finishes:

• Baylor - 12th Big XII
  • Texas Tech - 3rd Big XII
  • Oklahoma - 7th Big XII
  • Grand Canyon - 1st WAC
  • Coll of Charleston - 5th Coastal Athletic
  • South Alabama - 11th Sun Belt
  • Wichita St - 4th American Athletic
  • Nicholls - 1st Southland
  • Omaha - 4th Summit
  • N Dakota St - 2nd Summit
  • N Mexico St - 9th (last) Conf USA
  • K-State - 6th Big XII
  • bluebirds - 3rd Big East
  • Kansas - 9th Big XII
  • S Dakota St - 3rd Summit

If this is remotely accurate, Nicholls should be much improved from a year ago, which would help get them out of Q4. And the Big XII is certainly tough in the top half, but I'd expect K-State to be a bit better than 6th.

On 2/9/2024 at 7:28 PM, throwback said:

Baseball America Big Ten Projected Standings (2023 records)
1. Iowa (44-16, 15-8)
2. Indiana (43-20, 16-8)
3. Maryland (42-21, 17-7)
4. Nebraska (33-23, 15-9)
5. Rutgers (33-23, 14-10)
6. Michigan (28-28, 13-11)
7. Ohio State (31-25, 9-15)
8. Penn State (25-25, 7-16)
9. Illinois (25-27, 12-12)

10. Michigan State (33-22, 12-12)
11. Minnesota (18-34, 10-14)
12. Purdue (24-29, 11-13)
13. Northwestern (10-40, 4-20)

We miss the underlined teams - good news is we get 1, 2, and 3 all at home. I honestly am surprised to see NU this high. BA does a good job tracking all players, though, so they must feel we have some pretty good newcomers.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2024-big-ten-college-baseball-preview/

------

BA NCAA Tourney Projection

BA projects Iowa to host a regional as the #16 seed. Indiana makes the tourney as a regional (2) seed ... and that's it. Maryland is in the first 4 out - NU not mentioned at all.

Other NU opponents projected in the NCAA: K-State (3) seed; Grand Canyon (3) seed (auto bid); Texas Tech (2) seed.

Out of the Pac-4 coming next year: UCLA (2) seed; Oregon (3) seed; USC (3) seed.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2024-preseason-projected-field-of-64/

-----

Also, here's how BA projects our non-con opponents:

• Baylor - 11th Big XII
  • Texas Tech - 3rd Big XII
  • Oklahoma - 7th Big XII
  • Grand Canyon - 1st WAC
  • Coll of Charleston - 5th Coastal Athletic
  • South Alabama - 7th Sun Belt
  • Wichita St - 9th American Athletic
  • Nicholls - N/A
  • Omaha - N/A
  • N Dakota St - N/A
  • N Mexico St - 9th (last) Conf USA
  • K-State - 5th Big XII
  • bluebirds - N/A
  • Kansas - 8th Big XII
  • S Dakota St - N/A

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/baseball-americas-ultimate-2024-college-baseball-preview/

On 2/13/2024 at 9:47 AM, throwback said:

World Herald's projected finish (team writeups in the link):

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/baseball/evan-bland-s-preseason-big-ten-baseball-rankings-for-2024/article_1b19c577-8683-5e24-8fc7-e530f7d5cd13.html

1-Iowa

2-Indiana

3-NU

4-Rutgers

5-Michigan

6-Maryland

7-Penn St

8-Illinois

9-Michigan St

10-Ohio St

11-Purdue

12-Minnesota

13-NW

Most people have Maryland higher than NU in preseason ratings, but the OWH preview thinks Maryland will struggle with much of last year's power no longer with the team and with a new coach. Hope they're right. (Of course, NU also lost quite a bit of its power, but NU appears to have the players on hand to switch to more of an aggressive base running / higher batting avg team with pop in the middle of the order.)

After another coaching change & all of its best players hitting the portal, NW might be worse than it was last year. It's the last season for Minnesota coach Anderson, but they don't appear to be much better than a year ago either.

Always interesting going back through some of these.  Thought I’d do some Team/Avg Projected Finish/Actual Finish

Iowa - 1.00 - 4

Indiana - 2.33 - 3

Maryland - 3.66 - 11

Nebraska - 4.33 - 2

Rutgers - 4.66 - 12

Michigan - 7.00 - 4

Michigan St - 7.33 - 9

Illinois - 7.66 - 1

Penn St - 8.00 - 7

Ohio St - 8.33 - 7

Purdue - 11.33 - 6

Minnesota - 11.66 - 9

Northwestern - 13.00 - 13

- Iowa, Indiana, and Nebraska were relatively in the same ballpark.  Iowa was a unanimous #1 so their season is definitely disappointing.

- Rutgers and Maryland both stunk with a capital S.

- Illinois, Purdue, and Minnesota were the biggest risers compared to predictions.

- Northwestern as a unanimous last wasn’t surprising.  However they actually started the year 10-9 before finishing 8-25.  Ouch!

- Teams projected to make B1G Tournament that didn’t: Maryland, Rutgers, MSU

- Teams that took their place: Penn St, Ohio St, Purdue

23 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

The legacy of Birmingham-Southern stays alive...for now.

Well. They had a 10-7 lead going into the bottom of the 8th inning. But couldn't hold onto the lead.

As much as our loss hurt, it's good to know we still have a university to support even after the loss today.

33 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Well. They had a 10-7 lead going into the bottom of the 8th inning. But couldn't hold onto the lead.

As much as our loss hurt, it's good to know we still have a university to support even after the loss today.

True enough. I went to a college, in which I played intercollegiate athletics, that is no longer around, besides also attending the Univ. of Nebraska concurrently. It's sad every time I think about another school in the same scenario...

20 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

All 4 walks came around to score, initially on Vladdy Jr. 3-run HR and then after he left the ballgame in the 6th inn., the reliever allowed those other 2 walked base-runners to score on the very next batter. So, the 6 runs isn't indicative of how Cade Povich pitched, overall, I didn't feel like it was a fair representation anyway. Baseball for pitching stats is a cruel indicator, I suppose, those walks can be kind of deadly...

Edited by AuroranHusker

All 4 walks came around to score, initially on Vladdy Jr. 3-run HR and then after he left the ballgame in the 6th inn., the reliever allowed those other 2 walked base-runners to score on the very next batter. So, the 6 runs isn't indicative of how Cade Povich pitched, overall, I didn't feel like it was a fair representation anyway. Baseball for pitching stats is a cruel indicator, I suppose, those walks can be kind of deadly...

I have the MLB TV package so I'll have to watch Baltimore when he's pitching and maybe next year I get out to see my brother in Delaware we can zip up to Baltimore and watch a game.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

On 6/7/2024 at 4:58 PM, Bugeaters1 said:

I have the MLB TV package so I'll have to watch Baltimore when he's pitching and maybe next year I get out to see my brother in Delaware we can zip up to Baltimore and watch a game.

O's would be in K.C. as well. I watch a bunch of baseball, particularly in the background when I am doing other things. It's easy to rewind if something wild takes place... it makes for an enhanced version of a radio call, lol.