2017 Recruits

Row6Seat10

Change of pace on the board....nice to see another transfer.

Should see a lot of action for 2017 commits in the next couple of months. Not just for us at NU, but all over the US schools. Still a lot of names left on the "big boards", let alone the other 1000s of quality HS players still available.

Coach Williams had to begin with a huge disadvantage being a "new" coach at a "new" school, but the staff is obviously hard at work.

The next few weeks (& months) will be really interesting as to what develops. There's still a lot of quality HS kids in the roughly 500 mile radius of Lincoln....let alone nationally... + (we seem to be searching everywhere)

Assuming Rylie J. get a scholarship and with the recent commitment and transfer if my math is correct we will have two scholarships for 2017 with the two graduating seniors.  One or two bigs would be great.

With that in mind I'm a little surprised they didn't save one more back to see who they could find for 2017.  I'm sure they wanted a little more experience on the team the next two years.

I don't think my previous post was very clear as written.  Rylie J. is still considered a walk-on so we have one scholarship available for this year and then two more next year with the loss of Havers and Ramacieri as seniors.

I was thinking that Jensen had a scholly so my bad there. 

• 1 month later...

Long time coming but finally hearing some recruiting news. Heard that the Huskers may have had a visitor from British Coloumbia this weekend.  Sage Stobbart (2017) a 6'2 post from Seycove High School in North Vancouver. As usual there isn't much information on Canadian players out there.

Made a name for herself this summer playing on the AAU circuit and also played for 2016 British Columbia Provincial Team. I put a little more information that I found about her on our Big Board if you want to read that. From what I gathered this kid is a fantastic rebounder.  This sounds like it may be a good possibility for the Huskers we'll just have to wait and see.

The following quote is what her high school coach said about her last spring.

“She runs the floor incredibly well, she has great touch and great finesse close to the hoop, when she boxes out she’s able to rebound just about anything,” said Grant. “Her foul shooting has improved incredibly. She’s slowly starting to step into a leadership role, not so much vocally but more as in a lead by example on the court. She’s maturing, and she’s starting to come into her own in a real basketball sense.”

The Grade 11 player has earned interest from Canada Basketball, attending several national team age-group identification camps. That has helped her game but has also made her a target on the court, said Grant, adding that Stobbart has responded well to the challenge.  

Also, Bailey Helgren the 6-5 center from Edina, Minnesota comes off the Big Board as she committed to Kansas a few days ago.

More Sage Stobbert: Vancover BC (north of Seattle)

U17 Canadian Nationals play. Note at end of article she was 1st team All Star

The complete list of the 2016 U17 Canadian Nationals award winners are as follows:

Tournament MVP:
Shaina Pellington – ON

1st Team All-Stars:
Laeticia Amihere – ON
Emily Dewey – SK
Taisha Exanor – QC
Raizel Guinto – MB
Sage Stobbart – BC

http://crownscoutgirls.com/provincial-team/team-ontario-dominant-u17-canadian-nationals-finals/

ESPN  http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/224945

• 2 weeks later...

Recently released ESPN Hoop Gurlz updated rankings

Taylor Kissinger, 5 star #40 ranked

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2017

Great for Taylor !  ...she's earned it.  Should help with recruits seeing we're moving forward, and recruiting hard. 

NU's recent target from Canada Sage Stobbart also received a boost in the ESPN rankings. Sage is now ranked as a 4 star and sits in the 94th spot in ESPN's top 100 players. I think the Huskers have an excellent chance to land this kid.

Also, Shania Pellington the other Canadian prospect listed on the Big Board came off last week as she picked Oklahoma over Nebraska and Wisconsin.

• 2 weeks later...

Could it be NU will only have Taylor Kissinger sign on the November signing day? Starting to look that way. Most on our 2017 big board have committed somewhere else other than Taylor. NU's best hope to land another 2017 signee the way it seems, is Chicago land wing Destiny Harden. The last we heard West Virginia may be her destination. Madison Piper a top player from Kansas whom the Huskers were chasing chose Santa Clara U this past week.

With all that happened in the coaching change, it could be that some recruits are a little "gun shy"...and other coaching staffs could try to use it against us. Just the reality of the recruiting game (how's that for a conspiracy theory)

When we get going and get on a positive and winning track, that will be turned around.  :)

With all that happened in the coaching change, it could be that some recruits are a little "gun shy"...and other coaching staffs could try to use it against us. Just the reality of the recruiting game (how's that for a conspiracy theory)

When we get going and get on a positive and winning track, that will be turned around.  :)

my thoughts have always been along the line of :  coach williams is a relatively unknown (especially regarding recruits) and unproven at this level. if she can have a competitive team and maybe knock off a few "good" ones, then she could very well start to attract the attention of potential recruits. really hope it happens right off the bat, but, i believe it will have to show next season-----or fans could be in for a bumpy ride for awhile.

my thoughts have always been along the line of :  coach williams is a relatively unknown (especially regarding recruits) and unproven at this level. if she can have a competitive team and maybe knock off a few "good" ones, then she could very well start to attract the attention of potential recruits. really hope it happens right off the bat, but, i believe it will have to show next season-----or fans could be in for a bumpy ride for awhile.

Absolutely  whoopde

Coach Williams track record of building programs has me believing she can get the job done.  Lots to yet happen, but at UNL she now has all the tools to build a program to a high B1G level.

As said our bigs will be pretty dominate this year.....against most teams we'll play, even with out (unfortunately) Rachel. She would have made us real real strong inside. Just needs to get the guard/wing thing sorted out....may take a while.

Looking forward to 2017, we should in pretty good shape with more experience overall by then. We'll be pretty young even in 2017.