SHRINERS CHILDREN'S COLLEGE SHOWDOWN SERIES GAME THREAD

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

$30 for a month?  Oof.

Yeah, but there are other things that I'll watch. It would cost you 30 bucks to watch the 3 games if you were there in person though. Plus hotdogs and pop. So my thinking is that it is a good price.

Edited by Bugeaters1

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Our lack of production at the plate against this guy is... concerning... Dude was awful last year.  I'm not saying we should have 10 runs right now, but I'm saying that being no hit in the 5th with 9 strikeouts in 15 AB's is bad.

He had one real putrid outing.  He gave up 12 earned runs in 3 2/3 innings in that outing against Oklahoma State.  Take that out and it is about what Sears did (who matched him).   I'm not too concerned yet.

If we get that type of starting pitching from a Friday starter, we could have something brewing this year.

Great win - yes, some hiccups with all the strikeouts, but for a northern team to play as solidly fundamentally as we did today was very impressive. Being able to get outside regularly was a big help.

Thought it'd be a high-scoring game, shows what I know. 😄 Man, our pitchers were awesome. Baylor can hit, but we did a great job attacking the zone. No walks vs 9 Ks is going to win college baseball games 99 times out of 100. Exactly what Childress demands.

Sears was brilliant. Timmerman's heart had to be thumping in his debut, but he did just enough. There's a lot to like there. Perry looked like a different guy today, another year removed from his injury, and Daiss was nasty at the back end.

Offense was hit and miss, but I loved the fundamentals we showed. Brumbaugh scoring on the Carey double in the 6th where he didn't slow down until he crossed the plate, knowing there might be a play at 2nd, so he could count that run before the potential third out was made at 2nd base. He never peeked until he crossed the plate. Great base running fundamentals.

Instead of hanging his head, Silva runs out that dropped 3rd strike in the 9th, steals a base, and lets us manufacture an insurance run. Also loved how Brumbaugh took the ball the other way to drive in that late run. Didn't try to do too much on a pitch over the outside part of the plate. Carey did the same thing on his RBI double in the 6th.

Then Carey and Anglim both yanked pitches in the upper part of the zone and drove in runs, too. They were smartly aggressive with their swings when they got the chance to be because of the pitch location. (Yes, Carey popped his up, but it was still smart hitting.) Those are good fundamentals.

Pretty solid day defensively, again that's where being able to get outside quite a bit paid off. 

Quite a different feeling compared to last year's opener. 😄 Will be very interesting to see how tomorrow goes.

Just noticed on those highlights that we didn't throw the ball around the horn after strikeouts. I think that's new - maybe that's a Childress thing - he certainly likes his guys to get up on the bump and throw to keep the game moving.

Also noticed that I was wrong earlier, Brumbaugh did peek as he was scoring in the 6th - he didn't slow down at least, but I'd prefer he crosses the plate before he peeks. 😄