Experimental Rule

Bugeaters1

I oppose any thing that could be changed via instant replay that isn't about the reviewed call. It would be similar to calling holding on a pass play in football while checking to see if receiver had foot/feet inbounds. What if player traveled before his wrist/arm got hit forcing ball out of bounds? If you didn't call it originally I don't think you can call it after the fact. I used to be in favor of instant replay but it has only slowed down the game in sports it's used. And when they can't get obvious calls (Iowa player putting missed shot in after a foul) how can officials do it on subjective calls? And I don't think it's good to put more on officials when they aren't doing that good of job anyway.

Since many of you are throwing out never to be seriously considered in our lifetime rule changes, how about these:

1. The fouled team would have the option to take the ball to in-bound rather than shooting free-throws. Perhaps the clock should reset (maybe a new 30 if the time was over 15; and to 15 if the play clock was under that time) rather than shooting free throws.

2. Under a minute in any period (or some other time-frame) and the fouled team would then have the option to attempt one free throw and be allowed to in-bound the ball; or they could continue under the current rules.

I think it speeds the game up; but not sure I have considered most of the advantages/faults. I think this radically changes the end game while limiting the effectiveness of the Shaq attack.

Any thoughts?

Edited by trickey
sp

Just now, trickey said:

Since many of you are throwing out never to be seriously considered in our lifetime rule changes, how about these:

1. The fouled team would have the option to take the ball to in-bound rather than shooting free-throws. Perhaps the clock should reset (maybe a new 30 if the time was over 15; and to 15 if the play clock was under that time) rather than shooting free throws.

2. Under a minute in any period (or some other time-frame) and the fouled team would then have the option to attempt one free throw and be allowed to in-bound the ball; or they could continue under the current rules.

I think it speeds the game up; but not sure I have considered most of the advantages/faults. I think this radically changes the end game while limiting the effectiveness of the Shaq attack.

Any thoughts?

The only bad thing that I could see with this is that it effectively takes away any comeback opportunity for a team that is down.  The game does need sped up... I agree with that.  But this would lower the excitement factor I feel.

Just now, hskr4life said:

The only bad thing that I could see with this is that it effectively takes away any comeback opportunity for a team that is down.  The game does need sped up... I agree with that.  But this would lower the excitement factor I feel.

I agree with you there. The underdog fighting factor is diminished, and I considered that factor,  You are right; the excitement, in some ways, will be lost.

Then I thought, pretty soon we are going to be really good, so shouldn't I want the better team to win?

I hated seeing Wilt/Shaq out of a game simply because they could not shoot free-throws.

I want basketball, not a free-throw shooting contest,

Even though, if the game was a free-throw shooting contest, I might be in the hall of fame rather than cut from the squad!

The last two minutes of basketball is the best part....eliminating the strategy of fouling only will make the last two minutes less exciting.

why do people complain about the length of the best part of the game....it is like complaining about sex taking to long after a chick flick and an expensive dinner caused you to spend too much time on a date...and saying the night is already too long....

Edited by Blindcheck

49 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

The last two minutes of basketball is the best part....eliminating the strategy of fouling only will make the last two minutes less exciting.

why do people complain about the length of the best part of the game....it is like complaining about sex taking to long after a chick flick and an expensive dinner caused you to spend too much time on a date...and saying the night is already too long....

Sometimes it is to long!!!!!!!!!!!

14 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

If you have to go to a chick flick and an expensive dinner to have sex...the night is way to long!

But I will agree; you would then want to prolong the ending!