Ohio State (12-14) vs. Nebraska (22-6) Series Game Thread

Sears was brilliant again - at age 24 at the time of the draft, I don't know what MLB teams will think of him, but they'd be crazy not to take a flyer early in the draft. Wow. In a year where offense is ruling the day in the B1G, Sears is the clear front runner for B1G pitcher of the year.

Even as good as our pitching has been, our offense simply has to get it going if we want this season to be a special one. I know tonight was tough to hit, but the wind doesn't explain all the Ks. Been a season long problem. Should've been up 5 or 6-0 after 3 innings. 

ESE and SE winds tomorrow as high as they're going to be will be pretty rare at Haymarket - we get strong south or north winds several times a year, but rarely blowing straight in. That wind screaming in from dead center will make small ball a must. Mac needs to be ready to hold down the OSU running game if they get anyone on base. Both teams will be running a bunch if anyone gets on. Hell, the throw from the catcher to 2nd base on a steal attempt will be dicey into that kind of a wind. As a plus, the pitchers should get an extra few MPH on their fastballs. 😁

Huge day for throwing strikes tomorrow. Must make hitters put the ball in play in those kinds of weather conditions.

Edited by throwback

Before last night, Sears was 4th nationally in ERA (among those who qualify) and 2nd among starters - he's down to a 1.14 ERA after last night. I don't know if Baseball America and D1 Baseball still do mid-season All-American teams, but Sears should be on the list right now.

1. 0.56 Izaak Martinez, UC San Diego 32.1 IP (2-1)
  2. 0.66 Jamie Arnold, Florida State 40.2 (5-1)
  3. 0.90 Wyatt Lunsford-Shenkman, East Carolina 30 (3-1)
  4. 1.36 Brett Sears, Nebraska 46.1 (4-0) --- (now 1.14, 55.1, and 5-0)
  5. 1.38 Luke Holman, LSU 39 (5-1)
  6. 1.41 Kyson Witherspoon, Oklahoma 32 (2-2)
  7. 1.47 Brian Curley, VCU 30.2 (5-0)
  8. 1.49 Charlie McDaniel, Presbyterian 42.1 (4-0)
  9. 1.57 Nate Knowles, William & Mary 34.1 (5-0)
  10. 1.59 Josh Salinas, Incarnate Word 34 (3-0)

He leads the B1G in ERA by almost a run and a half (among those who qualify). Sears is at 1.14 - Powers of Michigan State is second at 2.57. Sears has been insanely good to this point.

• Bugeaters1 changed the title to Ohio State (12-13) vs. Nebraska (21-6) Series Game Thread
5 hours ago, throwback said:

Before last night, Sears was 4th nationally in ERA (among those who qualify) and 2nd among starters - he's down to a 1.14 ERA after last night. I don't know if Baseball America and D1 Baseball still do mid-season All-American teams, but Sears should be on the list right now.

1. 0.56 Izaak Martinez, UC San Diego 32.1 IP (2-1)
  2. 0.66 Jamie Arnold, Florida State 40.2 (5-1)
  3. 0.90 Wyatt Lunsford-Shenkman, East Carolina 30 (3-1)
  4. 1.36 Brett Sears, Nebraska 46.1 (4-0) --- (now 1.14, 55.1, and 5-0)
  5. 1.38 Luke Holman, LSU 39 (5-1)
  6. 1.41 Kyson Witherspoon, Oklahoma 32 (2-2)
  7. 1.47 Brian Curley, VCU 30.2 (5-0)
  8. 1.49 Charlie McDaniel, Presbyterian 42.1 (4-0)
  9. 1.57 Nate Knowles, William & Mary 34.1 (5-0)
  10. 1.59 Josh Salinas, Incarnate Word 34 (3-0)

He leads the B1G in ERA by almost a run and a half (among those who qualify). Sears is at 1.14 - Powers of Michigan State is second at 2.57. Sears has been insanely good to this point.

I saw a graphic of Facebook.   It looked to me he was 2nd Team All American by d1basdball.

• Bugeaters1 changed the title to Ohio State (12-14) vs. Nebraska (22-6) Series Game Thread
3 hours ago, brfrad said:

You couldn't ask for a better start to the weekend.  We haven't had to use the bullpen after 15 innings in the series.  We finish this game off, we will have everyone available tomorrow.

Yeah that was really important for Worthley to finish things, although he had to be running out of gas by the end. If Christo can at least give us 4 or 5 innings tomorrow and leave with a lead, we're in really good shape for the sweep. 

It wasn't as bad as I expected at the park.  Seats behind 3rd base dugout fairly protected.   On the concourse you could feel the wind, for sure.  Key play was getting a double play ball to get out of the top of the 5th with only giving up 1 run.   A crooked number looked inevitable.  The momentum shifted, and we dominated from that point on.  

1 hour ago, HB said:

It wasn't as bad as I expected at the park.  Seats behind 3rd base dugout fairly protected.   On the concourse you could feel the wind, for sure.  Key play was getting a double play ball to get out of the top of the 5th with only giving up 1 run.   A crooked number looked inevitable.  The momentum shifted, and we dominated from that point on.  

A force-out at 2B just prior likely allowed only run to score on their hit instead of guys at 2nd & 3rd scoring two Buckeyes. Nebraska seems to be playing smart baseball, and the pitching & defense have been especially performed at a high level. Having Rob Childress in his spot as pitching coach is also paying huge dividends. GBR.