• 3-3 Maryland
  • 3-3 Mich St
  • 2-4 Purdue
  • 1-2 Rutgers
  • 1-2 Indiana
  • 1-2 Minnesota
  • 1-5 Penn St
  • 0-3 N'western

I'm not sure this weekend could've gone any better for NU in trying to win the B1G - maybe if PSU had gotten one game vs Illinois. Minnesota stealing one at Iowa, Maryland losing a series at Michigan, Purdue stealing one at Ohio St, Rutgers losing a series at Mich St - all great results. And NU's sweep wasn't too bad either. 😂

B1G schedule week 3

• Ohio St at NU
  • Michigan at Iowa
  • Illinois at Minnesota
  • N'western at Penn St
  • Purdue at Rutgers
  • Indiana at Maryland
  • Mich St BYE

B1G Boyd's World RPIs (http://boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html) through 7 weeks:

• 12 Nebraska (20-5) (-2 spots vs last week)
  • 32 Maryland (20-8) (3 H) (+4)
  • 43 Rutgers (19-9) (3 A) (-4)
  • 66 Ohio St (12-12) (3 H) (+14)
  • 81 N'western (10-15) -- WWW (3 A) (-27)
  • 86 Illinois (14-12)* (+22)
  • 100 Indiana (15-14) (3 H) (+6)
  • 102 Iowa (15-11) (3 H) (-29)
  • 104 Michigan (11-17)* (+32)
  • 115 Purdue (17-12)* (-6)
  • 117 Michigan St (12-14) (3 A) (+18)
  • 145 Minnesota (11-12) (3 A) (+3)
  • 207 Penn St (13-12)* (+8)

* NU doesn't play

Non-con opponents:

• 29 Oklahoma (15-12) -- L (1 N) (-14)
  • 37 K-State (18-8) (1 H) (-18)
  • 39 bluebirds (20-4) (2 A) (1 H) (+7)
  • 56 South Alabama (16-12) -- LWW (3 H) (+3)
  • 59 Texas Tech (17-7) -- L (1 N) (+4)
  • 60 Kansas (15-10) (1 A) (1 H) (+12)
  • 77 Wichita St (18-9) -- WL (2 A) (-19)
  • 89 Grand Canyon (15-11) -- WWLW (4 A) (+8)
  • 94 Nicholls (20-10) -- WWW (3 H) (+48)
  • 101 Coll of Charleston (17-9) -- WWW (3 A) (-9)
  • 135 North Dakota St (7-16) -- W (1 H) (-17)
  • 154 Baylor (10-17) -- W (1 N) (-5)
  • 203 New Mexico St (11-16) -- WW (2 H) (+19)
  • 208 South Dakota St (11-15) (1 H) (-83)
  • 298 Omaha (6-19) -- W (1 H) (0)

The Pac-4:

• 65 Oregon (19-7) (-3)
  • 96 Washington (8-12-1) (+5)
  • 108 USC (11-15) (+73)
  • 174 UCLA (10-15) (-8)

What our quads look like right now:

Q1: 0-1 (7 total games) (-6 games from last week)

• L – Oklahoma (N)
  • XX – bluebirds (A)
  • X – Kansas (A)
  • XXX – Rutgers (A)

Q2: 10-3 (21 total games) (+8)

• L – Texas Tech (N)
  • WWLW – Grand Canyon (A)
  • WWW – Coll of Charleston (A)
  • WL – Wichita St (A)
  • X – K-State (H)
  • X – bluebirds (H)
  • WWW – Northwestern (A)
  • XXX – Michigan St (A)
  • XXX – Maryland (H)

Q3: 6-1 (17 total games) (0)

• W – Baylor (N)
  • LWW – South Alabama (H)
  • WWW – Nicholls (H)
  • X – Kansas (H)
  • XXX – Ohio St (H)
  • XXX – Indiana (H)
  • XXX – Minnesota (A)

Q4: 4-0 (8 total games) (-3)

• WW – New Mexico St (H)
  • W – N Dakota St (H)
  • W – Omaha (H)
  • X – S Dakota St (H)
  • XXX – Iowa (H) 🤨

---------

• Quad 1: Home games vs. RPI 1-25, neutral site games vs. 1-40, road games vs. 1-60
  • Quad 2: Home games vs. RPI 26-50, neutral site games vs. 41-80, road games vs. 61-120
  • Quad 3: Home games vs. RPI 51-100, neutral site games vs. 81-160, road games vs. 121-240
  • Quad 4: Home games vs. RPI 101+, neutral site games vs. 161+, road games vs. 241+

Great position to be in at the midway point of the regular season. Only one Q4 game left (hopefully) and all of our conference games should end up Q3 and higher -- but Iowa, c'mon. This is pathetic even for you. Iowa & Indiana are hovering near the cut-off line, so we need them to play a little better -- hopefully just enough to stay out of Q4.

For a northern team, our Q2 record is extremely impressive. It sucks that our Q1 opportunities are so limited, but that's the nature of being a northern team. Someone in the SEC will play 30+ Q1 games. It's just how it goes. If we keep dominating in Q2, though, the committee will take notice.

Q1 matchup on tap Tuesday, at least for now - adds a little more spice to the rivalry. Almost feels like with how long Walsh went on Saturday, the coaches made the decision to move Walsh out of the midweek starting spot to get a 3rd lefty they trust out of the bullpen on the weekends. We'll see, though. Maybe Walsh starts and has a tight pitch count. If he doesn't start, it's probably Horn Tuesday. I do love Walsh pitching in that big ballpark, though.

Ohio St righted the ship over the weekend after a rough couple of weeks, and it won't be a gimme this weekend at home. Need to go at least 3-1 overall to keep pushing toward a potential B1G title and a potential home regional.

Also it appears the NCAA selection committee is going to use the DSR rankings on the team sheet this season. These rankings try to incorporate margin of victory - slippery slope for baseball, I think, but it appears they're going to try it. (Maybe the NCAA has been using it in the past, although I can't find anything that indicates that.)

NU was 16th in these DSR rankings before yesterday. There isn't a huge difference between DSR and RPI that I can see. Maybe some of the smaller schools like Dallas Baptist and UCI that play in weak conferences can take advantage of it by blowing out conference foes. I'm not sure the difference is enough to convince our coaches to start trying to run up the score, but who knows.

https://d1baseball.com/diamond-sports-ranking/

1 hour ago, throwback said:

Also it appears the NCAA selection committee is going to use the DSR rankings on the team sheet this season. These rankings try to incorporate margin of victory - slippery slope for baseball, I think, but it appears they're going to try it. (Maybe the NCAA has been using it in the past, although I can't find anything that indicates that.)

NU was 16th in these DSR rankings before yesterday. There isn't a huge difference between DSR and RPI that I can see. Maybe some of the smaller schools like Dallas Baptist and UCI that play in weak conferences can take advantage of it by blowing out conference foes. I'm not sure the difference is enough to convince our coaches to start trying to run up the score, but who knows.

https://d1baseball.com/diamond-sports-ranking/

In baseball, it seems like it would be a lot harder to purposefully run up a score on someone than in something like basketball.  In baseball, you can completely outmatch someone and still only win like 2-0 or 3-0 with how hard offense is in this game.

Still out there recruiting...

Colin Cymbalista is finally showing what he can do on a baseball field. Next year he’ll be doing it at Nebraska.

The catcher/first baseman at Hutchinson (Kan.) C.C. committed to the Huskers on Sunday following a hot start that has the sophomore among the more well-rounded producers at the junior college level. He chose NU over finalist Penn State and a host of other interested schools including Gonzaga and Western Kentucky.

Caron definitely trending toward being a pretty high MLB pick this summer, and Columbus will be out of eligibility (I think, but who knows anymore), so we need to bring in an older catcher. Probably better to grab one now than wait for what's available in the portal. 

6 minutes ago, throwback said:

Caron definitely trending toward being a pretty high MLB pick this summer, and Columbus will be out of eligibility (I think, but who knows anymore), so we need to bring in an older catcher. Probably better to grab one now than wait for what's available in the portal. 

I think we just got a Juco catcher commit didn't we?

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

https://d1baseball.com/columns/2024-midseason-field-of-64-projections/

Nice to see “Lincoln, Regional” on there.

And nice to see we're not opposite the Texas A&M regional for the supers ... yet.

We're a 2 seed in the Baseball America projections in Stillwater. 

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2024-ncaa-baseball-tournament-bracket-projected-field-of-64-april-3/

• Maryland is a 3 seed in both D1B and BA
  • Rutgers is a 3 seed in D1B and next four out in BA
  • Grand Canyon is a 4 seed in both (auto qualifier)
  • K-State is a 2 seed in both
  • Kansas is a 3 seed in both
  • North Dakota St is a 4 seed in both (auto qualifier)
  • Oklahoma is a 2 seed in both
  • bluebirds are a 3 in both
  • Texas Tech is first four out in both
  • Wichita St is next four out in BA

No Iowa. Huh. 

Edited by throwback