Huskers vs Illinois...

whoopdeedoo

6 minutes ago, 12dozen said:

Hannah had a solid game.  Everyone seemed to look for her, when Illinois started putting on the full court pressure.  She handled it well.  

I haven't watched the game yet. I have been looking for some stats on Makenzie Helms to see how she is doing this year, but I'm not finding any.

Here's the Official Box Score and Game Recap @ Huskers.com (Sorry for not posting interim stats during the game - The Ill site didn't present concise stastics :Cautious:)

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211786899

Huskers Storm to Victory Over Illini

Champaign - Ashtyn Veerbeek erupted for a career-high 19 points to lead four Huskers in double figures as Nebraska powered its way to a 77-67 Big Ten women's basketball road win at Illinois on Thursday night at the State Farm Center.

With the victory, Nebraska improved to 3-3 in the Big Ten and 7-9 overall, while Illinois slipped to 1-5 in the conference and 9-8 overall.

Veerbeek, whose previous career high was 14 points, matched her career best through three quarters and pumped in five straight points including Nebraska's biggest shot of the night with a three-pointer with 1:39 left to push Nebraska's lead to 69-59. The 6-2 forward from Sioux Center, Iowa, added eight rebounds and a block to propel the Huskers to their second Big Ten road win of the year.

Hannah Whitish, who finished with 12 points and seven assists without a turnover, helped the Huskers seal the win with four free throws in the final 1:30, while Leigha Jones and Taylor Kissinger each pitched in 10 points. Kate Cain added strong contributions with eight points and seven rebounds, while Sam Haiby added seven points, two assists and three steals off the bench.

Kayla Mershon, a freshman from Chanhassen, Minn., helped the Huskers get a win in her first career start by knocking down a first-half three and sealing the victory with Nebraska's final two points of the night at the line.

image.png

image.png

Edited by Red Don

3 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

One thing I noticed in last nights game was that when we shot the ball most times all 5 of our players were at or above the FT line. hard to get Off. boards that way.

i listened to the game on the radio and had eyes on the men's game. didn't matt and jeff say the huskers went through a long stretch with only 1 offensive rebound? of course, possible they were shooting a pretty high % during that period, too.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

1 minute ago, whoopdeedoo said:

i listened to the game on the radio and had eyes on the men's game. didn't matt and jeff say the huskers went through a long stretch with only 1 offensive rebound? of course, possible they were shooting a pretty high % during that period, too.

Yes I think so, but it wasn't because of them shooting the lights. They just didn't have anyone close to the basket.

5 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Freshmen have led or tied for the team lead in scoring in 11 of Nebraska’s 17 games. I didn't relize this stat. shows one of three things, that either the freshmen are really good. Two, that that upper classman are having a bad year. which I think is the case. Three is that the upperclassmen are looking to the freshmen to score because they are being game planed out of our game plan by the opponents. 

Seems like good observations @Bugeaters1.  :thumbsup:    It must be very unusual to have Four High-Energy, High-Scorers in the same incoming class (considered a Top 20 class as I recall), and all of the upperclassmen in some sort of a slump at the same time.  At the same time it should bode well for the future; there is another group of well-regarded incoming recruits, this year's freshmen will All be experienced, and I expect the upperclassmen to return to prior form.

We got out rebounded by 8 which should never happen against Illinois especially with our height advantage.  Wittinger had 7 offensive rebounds with at least 3 of those coming when Kate had position on her but Wittinger just jumped higher and wasn't called for over the back because Kate didn't back her out.  With Kate's length and size this should never happen.