Nebraska (16-7) vs. Northwestern (15-7) Game Thread

On 2/7/2024 at 10:22 PM, huskerbill85 said:

This season has been amazing but I just hope our inability to win on the road doesn't end up biting us in the ass

Arguably should have sealed the deal at Rutgers but, again, NU figured Juwan Gary was out for the season, as I recall. Chalk that one up to a learned experience. Same can be said for the ballgame at Illinois, I suppose. It helped them take care of business at Indiana and at Michigan, both by the count of 85-70. A bit of symmetry. And that 62-46 win over K-St. looking better than its been in a while since they've beaten a bunch of Big 12 teams at home, incl. perennial powers such as KU & ISU. And NU also won in Sioux Falls back in 2023 over Oregon St., a team that's been up and down for much of its year. That's 4 double-digit wins away from PBA!!

On 2/8/2024 at 8:43 AM, jimmykc said:

Two thoughts: 1. Brice is not a point guard. 2. Nice to hear from hhcDave, who must now be considered a bona fide jinx. 

That first thought proved to be false. Brice is nice. He's a steady hand at PG, especially at 6'-7" with a solid FT stroke and a willingness to incorporate others before shooting the rock, it seems...

On 2/27/2024 at 10:51 AM, hhcdave said:

If it feels like I'm overwhelmed with possibilities and thus asking you to allow me to lay on your couch, unload my thoughts/worries and pray that you'll give me answers - you're right. That's the exactly what I'm asking. Haha.

I have made a lifelong commitment to myself that NO MATTER WHAT - I will BE THERE when we win our first NCAA Tournament game.

Background on me - I'm a 43 year old radio host in Kansas City. Single, no kids, so I have some financial freedom and the ability with my job to essentially get off work whenever I need to. I have requested the Wed-Fri off the week of the first round in order to travel on Wed and be at whichever site we end up at until Sunday night. I realize there's a 15% chance the Sunday night things could ruin our Round of 32 game but I have enough freedom where I could also call in on Monday if need be.

What do I do in preparation? I see many on here have bought tickets in Omaha in case we go there - many have booked some flights that are cancelable to certain sites - I guess I'll just ask a whole bunch of questions below and I'm hoping some people would be kind enough to quote and answer all of these. The more the merrier as I devise my strategy.

Tiny more background - I am a ticket snob and want to be on the floor. Behind the baskets if I have to but hopefully on baseline or at worst, in corner. So I know I'm going to have to pay a pretty penny. I may or may not have friends going with me - others don't seem as keen on spending the amount of money this might take. So I might be going solo. Has anyone ever done this?

OK - I'm asking your advice if YOU were ME. What would YOUR strategy be on:

1. Do we think the odds of us in Omaha are higher than the 12.5% (1/8) that math dictates? I'm guessing its more like 25-30% we end up there - although maybe they truly don't want to give us a home game. Anyone have any clue on our odds in Omaha?

2. I see good seats in Omaha are roughly $700-$900 per ticket for ALL THREE sessions. Is this already priced way up where I just wait it out and DON'T buy them now? As in - if we don't go there, am I going to have a tough time breaking even on that purchase price? I'm guessing they double from that if we do go there. Thoughts on strategy here?

3. While we're on the topic of tickets and sessions - would you BUY ALL THREE SESSIONS NOW or ONLY buy one and two? (in case we lose)

4. Is the NCAA website (linked to Ticketmaster) the official place to buy them? That's what it's appearing like to me. I'm guessing they aren't face prices and they're all third party listings at this point, correct?

5. Is that the best site to buy them at?

6. How would you handle flights if you were me? Just wait until Selection Sunday? I don't really want to book 5 flights and cancel 4. Seems risky.

7. How would you handle hotels if you were me? I'm guessing these are easier to cancel? Any suggested site for this?

8. Last, how would you handle other friends that "want to go" but "aren't sure yet?" Do I just wing this Selection Sunday or try to buy stuff now?

AWWW this is stressful.

Any guidance, thoughts, advice, other feedback is appreciated.

Dave

21 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Arguably should have sealed the deal at Rutgers but, again, NU figured Juwan Gary was out for the season, as I recall. Chalk that one up to a learned experience. Same can be said for the ballgame at Illinois, I suppose. It helped them take care of business at Indiana and at Michigan, both by the count of 85-70. A bit of symmetry. And that 62-46 win over K-St. looking better than its been in a while since they've beaten a bunch of Big 12 teams at home, incl. perennial powers such as KU & ISU. And NU also won in Sioux Falls back in 2023 over Oregon St., a team that's been up and down for much of its year. That's 4 double-digit wins away from PBA!!

I would be lying to you if I said I'm confident in this teams chances come tournament time but whatever we're going to make it and we weren't expected to. This was the most fun I've ever had watching this program playing basketball.

With that said I think the defense can travel and if they figure out a way to bring the offense as well then this could be a really really fun big dance.