Nebraska (25-12) vs. Kansas (21-15) Series Game Thread

22 minutes ago, throwback said:

Sigh. I really wish our radio guys would stop telling us how dominant pitcher "X" is looking. A crooked number is sure to follow (other than Sears).

Well, Horn did for an inning.

Welp, I think we're officially in a mini-slump. So many things went right early in the year, and it's going the other way a bit here of late. Can't believe we scored 11 runs and lost with as much pitching depth as we've had this season.

It's pretty common for NU and other northern teams to slump a bit around the middle of the season. Those long road trips early in the year start to take their toll. It's just a matter of us getting it flipped around as quick as possible. Taking a loooong East Coast road trip probably isn't the best remedy for this right now, though, I'd imagine. At least it's a charter flight this weekend.

I did like the way we fought back tonight, as it had to be extremely deflating to claw back to a 5-5 tie, only to give up 6 unanswered. Yet, we didn't let the game end right there. Fighting back a second time from a big deficit is a good sign. 

RU has been a pain in the a$$ over the last several years, as they've beaten us 8 of the last 12 meetings. Hopefully Sears is able to get us off to a good start Friday in NJ and we can take advantage of RU, which is slumping more than we are right now, to get things turned around.

Edited by throwback

4 hours ago, throwback said:

Welp, I think we're officially in a mini-slump. So many things went right early in the year, and it's going the other way a bit here of late. Can't believe we scored 11 runs and lost with as much pitching depth as we've had this season.

It's pretty common for NU and other northern teams to slump a bit around the middle of the season. Those long road trips early in the year start to take their toll. It's just a matter of us getting it flipped around as quick as possible. Taking a loooong East Coast road trip probably isn't the best remedy for this right now, though, I'd imagine. At least it's a charter flight this weekend.

I did like the way we fought back tonight, as it had to be extremely deflating to claw back to a 5-5 tie, only to give up 6 unanswered. Yet, we didn't let the game end right there. Fighting back a second time from a big deficit is a good sign. 

RU has been a pain in the a$$ over the last several years, as they've beaten us 8 of the last 12 meetings. Hopefully Sears is able to get us off to a good start Friday in NJ and we can take advantage of RU, which is slumping more than we are right now, to get things turned around.

Better get over this one quickly, Rutgers will be out for blood. Nebraska better bring the fight to the Scarlet Knights. GBR Always.

1 hour ago, HuskerActuary said:

Painful. Regional hosting opportunities likely slipping away.

Still pretty early for this type of statement, but we do need to get better in the mid-week pronto.  It’s tough to sweep the weekends, but going 3-1 in a week is going to be a lot better than going 2-2.

Huge to go 2-1 this weekend now.  Need to get started right with Sears and Co.  Need to stay on top of the B1G leaderboard.

11 hours ago, hskr4life said:

10 runs should be enough to win a D1 game.  We’ve gotta figure out midweek pitching

The pitching gets all the focus (and it has been bad mid-week), but the defense has been a problem all season.   I like the chances of the pitching improving in-season than I do the defense.   As just one example, Carey's error last night was a killer.   The defense is mediocre at best, and there are a couple of flat-out liabilities out there.  

13 hours ago, throwback said:

Sigh. I really wish our radio guys would stop telling us how dominant pitcher "X" is looking. A crooked number is sure to follow (other than Sears).

Last night was the most blatant example of that ever.   Comical.    3 up/3 down in the first, Horn gets the first out of the second, has a 1-2 count, and the radio guys talk about how sharp he is tonight....and the very next pitch goes yard.   Can't make it up.  

1 hour ago, HB said:

The pitching gets all the focus (and it has been bad mid-week), but the defense has been a problem all season.   I like the chances of the pitching improving in-season than I do the defense.   As just one example, Carey's error last night was a killer.   The defense is mediocre at best, and there are a couple of flat-out liabilities out there.  

This is true.  That error that led to a 3 bagger was a killer at a terrible time

too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Bugeaters1 changed the title to Nebraska (25-12) vs. Kansas (21-15) Series Game Thread