Head Coach: Matt Painter
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Conference: B1G 10
Mascots: Boilermaker Special, Purdue Pete
Typical Rotation Depth: 8-9
KenPom rank: 6
KenPom home court advantage calculation: 4.0 (22nd in D-I)
Previous history: Purdue leads the all-time 5-16. Purdue is on a 3 game winning streak.
Shirt not to wear: Black, Gold
Offensive Style: Slow
Defensive Style: Slow
Key Injuries: None
Key Suspension: ** Nebraska announces Jervay Green will be suspended indefinitely **
Hoiberg talks about the challenge of playing on the road and playing two games in less than 48 hours. Players practiced well but don't know if that will carry over. (it did for Friday's game)
Players to watch: Jahaad Proctor
The High Point graduate transfer is leading the Boilermakers in scoring. He hasn't been shooting at high percentage but can get his own shot.
Players to watch: Sasha Stefanovic
The sophomore guard is one of the best 3pt shooters in the conference for a Purdue team that lost a lot of firepower from last year's Elite 8 team
A lot of times Purdue will have 2 players on the court at a time that do not shoot 3s
- Hunter has shot better than he did as a freshman but has still been just average
- Haarms is the spirited Netherlands' giant who is an elite shot blocker and rebounder
- While not as good of a shot blocker as Haarms, Trevion Williams is an elite inside force Nebraska won't be able to stop when he gets the ball
- Aaron Wheeler is a 6'9" 3 and D guy whohas struggled with his outside shot
- Nojel Eastern is an Amir Harris-esque 6'7" point guard that rarely shoots outside the paint. Eastern is also a lock down defender
- Senior Dartmouth Evan Boudreaux (the guy who looks 40) is a 6'8" forward with an outside shot that hasn't been hitting thus far this year.
- Fr Isaiah Thompson provides guard depth
This is a bit of a rebuilding year for a Purdue team that lost 3 starters from its Elite 8 team. Matt Painter has slowed down the offense as this team has shifted its focus towards defense. The guards are aggressive up front with their all of their rim protection behind them. Expect Purdue to be much more disciplined and more talented defensively than the Indiana team they faced on Friday. Expect the same on offense as the Boilermakers patiently try and work the ball inside. Purdue's back court doesn't draw a lot of contact but their front court does. It could get dicey if Ouedraogo and Cross find themselves in early foul trouble.
This big and patient Purdue team looks like an elite version of an UC Riverside squad that came in and dominated the pace. Can Nebraska speed up the Purdue? How much do they have in the tank after a 45 minute slugfest with Indiana?
Prediction: Purdue 76 - Nebraska 64