So. Dakota St. (17-25) vs. Nebraska (30-16) Game Thread

2 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

He could - some of those hard-hit balls that found gloves last week are sure to find holes this week.

The coaches are very interested to see if he's able to deliver a 2nd straight solid outing. If so, he'll figure big into our postseason plans. 

This should be a final in the coffin for hosting.  This team looks like they don't want to be playing again tonight.   The bullpen allows 8 runs in 3 inning.  Carey boots a ball.  This coaching staff does not help with their decisions. 

I hate to say this, and I know Rome wasn't built in a day.  Childress and Christy have posted nearly identical results.  The only difference is our Friday and Saturday starters have been more consistent. 

I know the pitching is going to get the blame, and the last 2 innings were a nightmare, but we also had some really good performances out of guys like Brockett, Clark, and Worthley that are really important for the postseason. The coaches saw what they needed to see out of those guys. Even Perry.

It won't get much notice, but our defense was pretty bad in key spots once again last night and cost us runs. That's been a sneaky low-key problem most of the year.

Yet, the biggest problem on this team continues to be an inability to get enough key hits. With our OBP and batting averages, we should be scoring far more runs than we are, especially against a team like SDSU. Getting 4 straight walks in the 1st and only scoring one killed us. That game should've been out of reach in the middle innings.

Poor approaches at the plate and an inability to light up mediocre (or worse) pitching has been a problem for several weeks. If we don't win the B1G or advance in a regional, it'll be because of offense. 

In the big picture, this loss doesn't matter - we were out of the running for hosting because of our terrible mid-week performances earlier in the year and because of blowing 9th-inning leads multiple times (four now, I think), so this was just the cherry on top of both of those sh*t sundaes. We were going to be a #2 seed in the NCAAs with or without a win vs SDSU.

Fortunately, the strength of this team - weekend pitching - moves to the forefront the rest of the year. And Brockett's sudden emergence gives us even more firepower on the mound for weekend series and the postseason.

Just gotta find a way to get the bats going, and we could still make a nice run the next few weeks.

I don’t disagree that hosting was a long shot heading into last night, but I don’t think we were completely out of the running either.  With a win, we weren’t a lock to host but it was still possible. Without a win, I believe we are now virtually out of the hosting picture. 

Our midweek struggles are mind numbing. As throwback noted, our bats have just as much blame as our arms for midweek struggles the entire year. 7 of our 17 losses have come in the midweek.

The good news— as already mentioned, is that we can close the book on midweek games and focus solely on the weekend where we are quietly 26-10, have just one series loss, and haven’t been swept.

This team can make a run to a super.  I have no doubts about that. If we want to host in the future, we have to figure out the midweek.  Just winning 4 of those games puts us at 34-13.