San Jose State

Bugeaters1

34 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

mo, when the huskers hit the big ten season, sooooo much is going to depend on the play of Cain. she is going to run into much better competition: iowa's Gustafson, michigans Thome, the player from OSU her name slips my mind---and a number more. keeping her out of foul trouble will be paramount. hate to put pressure on a freshman, but, if she gets into EARLY foul trouble, i think it will change the dynamics of the game rather drastically.

I agree with your analysis.  Kate is very smart and I think she will adapt some but we all know that the refs aren't always consistent from game to game or are they always in control of the game (like Clemson).  When you are on the road it is even more difficult.

With injuries or foul trouble we just don't yet have the depth we need.  

It will be interesting to see if we can play a little smarter in the two home games this week as far as reducing silly fouls.

The B!G will be the next step in Cain's development. It will probably be a learning experience, and may have a tough few games. But that's to be expected, and most of all good experience for the future. Unfortunately Rachael's health issues will keep Cain from getting some needed help/relief as time goes on. 

Cain hasn't really been challenged very much, so far. A true post at 6-5 is hard to defend. But the B!G teams will start to double her, etc., if she's a factor in our conference games.  As usual we'll see how she gets along. All part of the fun watching the Huskers.

Edited by redsteve

1 hour ago, redsteve said:

Yes, I noticed the way she was moving around in the game but didn't want to comment on it. Truly unfortunate for her. May not really make sense, and we're not her dad, but we all here kind of feel her pain too.  I have two boys that had arthroscopic surgery on knees from sports.

It was obvious she wasn't doing well. Looked like she tried to loosen them up when she went in but just couldn't go.  Does getting off her feet help any? Coach has been trying to take it easy on Rachel. Just hope it turns out as well as possible for her. The old adage "be strong" kind of fits.

She doesn't tell me everything, because I get depressed hearing about the constant pain. 

What I understand:  The knees tend to loosen up when she's playing/moving.  When she comes out of the game, the knees quickly and significantly stiffen up (causing pain).  So when/if she does go back in the game, the knees are very stiff and cause significant pain.  

I think the pain has caused her to lose a step (speed-wise).  The heart is still there.  She took a charge in CA. 

She is a better player than her knees are allowing her to be...  I think that if her knees were better she could be helping out at the 4 and the 5.  But, they're not... It's unfortunate.

I didn't see Rachel's technical foul in CA... I think she said something like...  WTF, with respect to (WRT) a foul.  One thing I don't understand about these refs...  They're so thin skinned WRT criticism.  I don't think a player should be able to cuss directly at the ref (i.e. Ref, you're F-ing terrible), but to curse his/her call is completely acceptable, in my world.  As a ref, you're in the business of being criticized.  Nearly every call you make is going to be disagreed with by half of the fans...  In today's PC world, the following is taboo...  However, I think women refs are the worst.  It seems they have something to prove... They have the...  I'm in charge syndrome.  Remember the game a few weeks ago (Clemson, I think) with 3 female refs...I told Lisa before the game... "This is going to be terrible."  What happened???  Williams got a BS "T," the Nebraska bench got "T-ed," and Clemson got "T=ed."  It was just a ref power trip...  It was... I'll show you that I'm in charge.  

I'm so sorry to hear about Rachel's travails, dlrrk; it has to be so troubling to all concerned.  I know her leadership and experience are valuable to the team as is, but we all really miss seeing her playing on the floor!  Were she playing and 100% we'd be seeing a vastly different record; and it would make a big difference in the coming conference rounds. :nod:

Thanks Red Don...  Obviously, I'm biased, but I think you're right.  Being a spectator tears her heart out.  Mom sheds a tear, and I shake my head and say... damn

It's one of those...  Lord, I don't know what your plan is... but as of now, I don't like it. In fact, my vote is that currently, the plan sucks.