2014 F Mike Daum, Kimball

6'8" junior center at Kimball...I believe I heard on the radio yesterday that Daum is currently the only junior in Nebraska with an official Division I offer (Wyoming). I think it was him.

Had 24 pts, 16 rebs and 3 blocks in their opening round win over Gibbon on Thursday.

"Daum is a nice player. He has such a big wingspan, it’s kind of hard to practice to get the kids ready."  - Gibbon coach

Kimball is C1, so again another small town kid with some size, but never seen him play so who knows if he's D1 caliber. Sounds like more of a traditional post player than Moon from O'Neill/St. Mary's.

Is there anyone below class A that has Div I potential?

Rarely in basketball.  I'm talking classes C and D.  Class B is closer to A because of population base.  I've been around small towns and small town athletics my entire life.  Kids in the lower classes will play 3 and 4 sports a year, not focusing on just one.  Football programs can take a chance on a giving an athlete a scholarship because they have 95 to give and time to develop the player.  Not basketball.

Walking on is one thing and I love seeing small town Nebraska kids giving UNL a shot.  BCS program scholarships in basketball is quite another.  I know this discussion is on another thread, but it kinda fits here as well.  I'm too lazy to do it twice.  :)

I really liked the Kid from South Sioux City... Nate something... number 14.  He is going to play football though at Wayne State.  Sad, because he had some potential.

I highly doubt a kid, if he were that good, would turn down a D1 scholarship to take a D2 scholarship in another sport.

I'll be honest, and its nothing against you I think this in general from the multitude of unknown Nebraska kids that get brought up on here, people that live in Nebraska dont know what good high school basketball is because they dont get the opportunity to see it.  So when a player stands out they feel they are a good player but said player would probably be good enough to maybe play NAIA, D3, and at most D2 basketball.

I really liked the Kid from South Sioux City... Nate something... number 14.  He is going to play football though at Wayne State.  Sad, because he had some potential.

I highly doubt a kid, if he were that good, would turn down a D1 scholarship to take a D2 scholarship in another sport.

I'll be honest, and its nothing against you I think this in general from the multitude of unknown Nebraska kids that get brought up on here, people that live in Nebraska dont know what good high school basketball is because they dont get the opportunity to see it.  So when a player stands out they feel they are a good player but said player would probably be good enough to maybe play NAIA, D3, and at most D2 basketball.

I get what you are saying, and agree that some are like that.  That is not me, and I know a few coaches who liked the kid.  Did you get a chance to watch him play?  An aggressive defender who would shoot and handle the ball ok.  With his height, add a little muscle, and he could be a good player IMO, and some others who I have talked to.

I get what you are saying, and agree that some are like that.  That is not me, and I know a few coaches who liked the kid.  Did you get a chance to watch him play?  An aggressive defender who would shoot and handle the ball ok.  With his height, add a little muscle, and he could be a good player IMO, and some others who I have talked to.

never seen the kid play but no kid will ever turn down a full ride to play D-1 sports to play D-2 football in nowheresville NE.  Sure he is probably a good athlete, but what offers, NAIA, D3, even D2 does he have for basketball.  If hes good enough for D1 hoops surely he would have plenty of lower level offers to boast but I cant find anything on him.

Just saying...

Kurkowski was a standout player for Coach Shawn Cole at Perkins County High School, a Class C-2 school in Grant, Neb.

Kurkowski was a first-team all-conference and all-district performer as a senior, averaging 12.9 points, 9.2 rebounds and 3.9 blocks per game in 2009-10. He reached double figures in rebounding in 11 of 21 games as a senior and had five games with at least six blocked shots.

His best performance as a senior came in a 27-point performance against Dundy County, when he hit 11-of-14 shots from the floor and added 11 rebounds and a pair of steals. He also had a triple-double against Chase County with 18 points, 11 rebounds and 10 blocked shots.

Perkins County also produced Duke scholarship basketball player Bill Jackman. Can't think of any A or B schools with that distinction off the to of my head.

Maybe they dont have that distinction but 13 of the 14 NBA players from Nebraska played class A ball and the other played class B. so there is that.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/high_schools.cgi?state=NE

Perkins County also produced Duke scholarship basketball player Bill Jackman. Can't think of any A or B schools with that distinction off the to of my head.

Does Kansas count?

chuckle, chuckle ...good point.   Ron Kellogg, Cedric Hunter, TJ Pugh....did I miss anyone ?

Does Kansas count?

chuckle, chuckle ...good point.   Ron Kellogg, Cedric Hunter, TJ Pugh....did I miss anyone ?

Nick Bahe played there as well

Does Kansas count?

Not on scholarship, he didn't.

Does Kansas count?

Not on scholarship, he didn't.

Understand that just saying he is a kid that did play there.  He played more at Kansas as a walk-on than Vucetic did in their freshman seasons.

• 3 years later...

How South Dakota State's Mike Daum went from off the map to on NBA radars - CBSSports.com

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/how-south-dakota-states-mike-daum-went-from-off-the-map-to-on-nba-radars/

This is a story about how opportunities randomly present themselves, about the great things that can happen when you take advantage of them, about how hard work sometimes leads people to places they never themselves even imagined going. It's a story about South Dakota State's Mike Daum -- the Jackrabbits' leading returning scorer who was recently named the Summit League's Preseason Player of the Year just two seasons removed from being redshirted as a freshman because nobody thought he was good enough to play.

But let's back up.

All great stories have a beginning, and this one starts with Daum in a gym with his mother, night after night after night, shooting and running drills while starring, albeit mostly anonymously, at Kimball High.

"My mom was a stud," Daum said.

(This is true, by the way. His mom is the former Michele Hoppes. She's in the Wyoming Athletics Hall of Fame thanks to a college career in which she led the Cowgirls in both scoring and rebounding for four straight years.)

"Me and my mom were in the gym every night back in Nebraska and, at times, I was like, 'Why am I doing this?'" Daum told me earlier this month. "I didn't even know back then if I wanted to play college basketball."

Regardless, he kept working.

Night after night after night.

• 1 year later...

Anyone have any idea what his plan might be after this year??  Is he even going to have an option to be a grad transfer or not??  Saw he is playing in Omaha today and averaging 22.5 points a game so it got me thinking....  Thought I would see If anyone had some inside info??!!

Edited by ConkintheCorner

1 hour ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Anyone have any idea what his plan might be after this year??  Is he even going to have an option to be a grad transfer or not??  Saw he is playing in Omaha today and averaging 22.5 points a game so it got me thinking....  Thought I would see If anyone had some inside info??!!

I read a story (can't remember the source...) that Daum isn't planning to grad transfer anywhere. He'll either enter the NBA draft (unlikely) or he will finish his senior year with the Jacks.