Jump to content
  • hhcmatt
    hhcmatt

    Shamiel Stevenson is N

    Sign in to follow this  

      Huskers land 6'6" G/F transfer from Pitt/Nevada

       

       

       

      Nebraska gets the verbal commit from the 230+ lb Stevenson who has made two moves already in his college career due to coaching changes.

       


      “We are excited to add Shamiel to our program. He brings a lot of versatility and physicality to our roster. With his size, strength and wingspan, Shamiel fits in perfectly in our system with his ability to play several positions. He also possesses the toughness and maturity needed to play in the Big Ten.” - Coach Hoiberg

      D6Ol60xV4AAl7MF.jpg

     

    The former 3 star and prep school teammate of DeAndre Ayton chose Pittsburgh and coach Kevin Stallings out of high school.  Stevenson was a major contributor his freshman year, starting 13 games and averaging 8.7 ppg while shooting 37.5% from 3 and getting to the line at an impressive rate. (His FTR metric was comparable to James Palmer)

     

    Stevenson stuck on with new coach Jeff Capel but was relegated to the end of the bench, seeing action in only 4 games. Shamiel decided to transfer mid-season and chose Nevada.  With former Wolfpack head coach Eric Mussleman leaving for Arkansas Stevenson decided to move on as well.  Currently he's eligible after the fall semester but will most likely pursue a waiver to become immediately eligible. After this season he should have two years remaining. With his size Stephenson looks to slot in defensively as a PF or Center in Fred Hoiberg's 'positionless' basketball team.

    Edited by hhcmatt

    Sign in to follow this  


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    Just now, Dean Smith said:

    I know I read he had 2 1/2 years left, eligible at the end of the coming fall semester and in all likelihood would get a waiver and get three years. I’m not looking for it right because I’m going to bed.  

     

    I hope you're right. That's the way it ought to be.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    18 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

     

    I hope you're right. That's the way it ought to be.

    I think the most likely scenario is we get him eligible for the start of the season but he only has two years of eligibility left.

     

    I remember Copeland was able to get a year back as well as immediate eligibility. But his case was something along the lines of Georgetown played him his junior year when he wasnt entirely healthy.

     

    I dont know what Stevenson's argument would be. He decided to transfer during the season bc of playing time. Idk if you get waivers for that or else a lot more athletes would do it.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    10 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

    I know I read he had 2 1/2 years left, eligible at the end of the coming fall semester and in all likelihood would get a waiver and get three years. I’m not looking for it right because I’m going to bed.  

     

    This is correct.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    10 hours ago, khoock said:

    I think the most likely scenario is we get him eligible for the start of the season but he only has two years of eligibility left.

    He won't have less than 2.5 years of eligibility. It'll either be that or 3. It won't be reduced down to two.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, uneblinstu said:

    He won't have less than 2.5 years of eligibility. It'll either be that or 3. It won't be reduced down to two.

    Thats what everyone seems to think. I just dont understand the logic behind it, which isnt surprising because the NCAA isnt always the most logical organization.

     

    I get he only played 4 games his sophomore year and only played 30ish minutes but he still played and then chose to leave bc he wasnt playing as much as the year before or as much as he thought he would. If you are able to play part of a year, transfer because you decide you dont like how much you are playing, and not have to worry about losing that year of eligibility then why dont more players do it?

     

    But hey, I would love for my misunderstanding of the NCAA to be completely wrong bc 3 years >>> 2 years.

     

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    He played 1.5 years, so he has 2.5 to go. He is being penalized 1 year which he can use his redshirt season for. So no reason to think he has less. If he gets the .5 back they will grant it because 2 coaches have left him and he barely played at all the .5 year at Pitt. Seems pretty straight forward. Hope he gets the waiver, would think there is a good case to be made.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, Art Vandalay said:

    He played 1.5 years, so he has 2.5 to go. He is being penalized 1 year which he can use his redshirt season for. So no reason to think he has less. If he gets the .5 back they will grant it because 2 coaches have left him and he barely played at all the .5 year at Pitt. Seems pretty straight forward. Hope he gets the waiver, would think there is a good case to be made.

    This. In other words, his transfer/redshirt clock started at the end of the fall 2018 semester, in December of 2018. Technically, he will be eligible one year later, or at the end of the fall 2019 semester, in December 2019. We want him eligible at the start of the fall 2019 semester.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Art Vandalay said:

    He played 1.5 years, so he has 2.5 to go. He is being penalized 1 year which he can use his redshirt season for. So no reason to think he has less. If he gets the .5 back they will grant it because 2 coaches have left him and he barely played at all the .5 year at Pitt. Seems pretty straight forward. Hope he gets the waiver, would think there is a good case to be made.

    Eligibility doesnt work in half years tho. You cant play half a season eight different times and say thats your four years. He played basketball is sophomore year of eligibility so unless they get a waiver (bc it was only 4 games and 30ish minutes) he exhausted his sophomore year of eligibility.

     

    Similiar to Tanner Borchardt. He played one minute his sophomore year in the second half of the season. He did not magically have a half semester of eligibility left just bc he did not play in the first half of the season that sophomore year.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, khoock said:

    Eligibility doesnt work in half years tho. You cant play half a season eight different times and say thats your four years. He played basketball is sophomore year of eligibility so unless they get a waiver (bc it was only 4 games and 30ish minutes) he exhausted his sophomore year of eligibility.

     

    Similiar to Tanner Borchardt. He played one minute his sophomore year in the second half of the season. He did not magically have a half semester of eligibility left just bc he did not play in the first half of the season that sophomore year.

    Stevenson committed to Nevada on Dec. 20, 2018, at the end of the first semester. Here's the link to a story about his transfer from Pitt to Nevada. It is dated Dec. 20, 2018. His sit-out clock started when he announced he was leaving Pitt, which was on Dec. 17, 2018. So he indeed exhausted only a half-year of his eligibility. You can find that fact in the same article. His transfer redshirt clock will end at the end of the fall 2019 semester. He will have 2.5 seasons to play, at minimum.

     

    Tanner Borchardt was with Nebraska for the entire season, so he couldn't get time back. He didn't play, and he didn't transfer. That's his problem. Stevenson was with Pitt for only a semester last season. He was in Nevada this spring, sitting out the first of his two semesters, per transfer rules. He didn't play because he had already transferred. 

     

    Also, players don't theoretically have eight years to squeeze in eight semesters of being on an active roster. The window is five years to be play four (10 semesters to play eight, with two consecutive semesters to sit out as either a transfer or a redshirt. Stevenson was on the Pitt roster for three semesters (1.5 years), he has sat one semester and has one more to sit (barring a waiver), and will have five semesters left (2.5 years). Sitting because you're not good enough to see the floor does not count as a redshirt or transfer year.

     

    The only question I have if Stevenson doesn't get a waiver to play immediately for Nebraska: When does the semester actually end in the fall? The last day of classes is Saturday, Dec. 14, and finals end Friday, Dec. 20. Can we play Creighton after Dec. 20? Please?

    Edited by jayschool

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Thanks for some clarification @jayschool on the rule. Seems like a silly rule that is very in favor of the transfer.

     

    Not that it matters to Stevenson's situation, but the year Tanner Borchardt wasted a year of eligibility for 1 min he was not with the team the entire season. He and Trueblood joined mid season (even second semester I wanna say). The only difference is Borchardt played 1 min while Trueblood never played. Which is why Trueblood still had a year left if he wanted to use it, while Borchardt did not.

     

    But I dont wanna muck up Stevenson's thread with discussion on how the NCAAs rules make no sense. Like i said, Stevenson for 3 years >>>

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    5 hours ago, khoock said:

    Seems like a silly rule that is very in favor of the transfer.

     

    What about the new rule in football (started last season)? Where you can play in up to FOUR games (1/3 of the season), not like how things are going exactly, so just quit the team, and still keep that year of eligibility for the next school.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    7 hours ago, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

     

    What about the new rule in football (started last season)? Where you can play in up to FOUR games (1/3 of the season), not like how things are going exactly, so just quit the team, and still keep that year of eligibility for the next school.

    I dont mind that one as much bc its equal for the transfer and the true redshirt.

     

    Shamiel Stevenson still gets his half year (and probably whole year back) bc he quit the team and changed schools. Whereas, say a freshman was being redshirted by his coach but gets thrown in to playing time the second half of the season bc of injuries to the team. That player loses the a whole .5+ season that he already redshirted no matter what.

     

    So the rule in basketball Shamiel Stevenson gets 4+ years to play bc he quit and transferred whereas the hypothetical players gets less than 3.5. Now im not knocking Shamiel at all just using that as an example to explain why I think the rule doesnt make sense. In football you can you it as a transfer loophole too, but you can also use it to play 4+ seasons at one school.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...