Jump to content
  • thrasher31
    thrasher31

    uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 3 - North Dakota State

    Rebounded well after a tough loss on Thursday. Couple things concern me, but I'll touch on them later. 

     

    Posting this so the discussion can get moved here for NDSU



    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    Surprised people aren’t discussing Banton more. We have one of the most unique players in the country. He’s special. Truly ambidextrous on the court. Point guards feel for the game at 6’9”. He’ll likely lead our team in assists and rebounds. He also seems like a great leader. Always talking on the court and encouraging teammates. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    13 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

    Surprised people aren’t discussing Banton more. We have one of the most unique players in the country. He’s special. Truly ambidextrous on the court. Point guards feel for the game at 6’9”. He’ll likely lead our team in assists and rebounds. He also seems like a great leader. Always talking on the court and encouraging teammates. 

    I think people are recovering from yesterday and Thursday still. 

     

    But I agree. The layup on the fast break was an unreal finish. His shot isn't bad either. It'll be interesting how he continues into big ten play. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    3 minutes ago, BjoeHusker said:

    I know we're only three games in, but I've been disappointed with Yvan's inability to finish at the basket. So far he's shooting 28% (5/18) on the season, with just about all his shots coming from within two feet of the basket. 


    4 of the makes are dunks.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    10 minutes ago, BjoeHusker said:

    I know we're only three games in, but I've been disappointed with Yvan's inability to finish at the basket. So far he's shooting 28% (5/18) on the season, with just about all his shots coming from within two feet of the basket. 

    I was honestly surprised his percentage was that high.  I thought it would be closer to 10-15%.  He’s still really young.  I’m not ready to give up on the young man.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I am very impressed with our team defense and defensive intensity.  At various points during the first three games you can see when we ratchet up the intensity and swarm our opponents.  This has led to much easier offense on the other end.  We still do not have the look of a great half court offensive team.  So maintaining defensive intensity and getting easy transition buckets is going to be key for this team going forward.

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    9 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

    I have been surprised by the willingness of most observers to cut Yvan so much slack when he was 17 and then expect so much improvement at 18. As I recall, I didn't note a whole lot of physical or psychological difference in myself between age 17 and 18 (although I did manage to graduate from high school).


    We also have to remember that, because of Covid, he didn’t get the chance to be on campus all summer like most players do.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

    I am very impressed with our team defense and defensive intensity.  At various points during the first three games you can see when we ratchet up the intensity and swarm our opponents.  This has led to much easier offense on the other end.  We still do not have the look of a great half court offensive team.  So maintaining defensive intensity and getting easy transition buckets is going to be key for this team going forward.

     

     

     

    I agree wholeheartedly. Thru the 1st 3 games, this team’s offense definitely feeds off the defensive end. If they continue to be as active as they have been in games 1 & 3 and let that trigger the offense, I like where this is headed. I just hope they recognize it. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    15 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

    I have been surprised by the willingness of most observers to cut Yvan so much slack when he was 17 and then expect so much improvement at 18. As I recall, I didn't note a whole lot of physical or psychological difference in myself between age 17 and 18 (although I did manage to graduate from high school).

     

    Do you happen to remember your leg hair situation between 17 and 18? Asking for a friend.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    21 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

    I have been surprised by the willingness of most observers to cut Yvan so much slack when he was 17 and then expect so much improvement at 18. As I recall, I didn't note a whole lot of physical or psychological difference in myself between age 17 and 18 (although I did manage to graduate from high school).

    I can only speak for myself here, but I just expected so much more from his development over the offseason. Especially after seeing the few videos he posted on social media. He looked much more explosive and his body was drastically transformed. I never expected him to be anything more that a solid role player in the post. But, I thought that would be on offense and defence. Now I'm not sure he ever develops much of an offense. I mean you can't get him any closer to the basket with the ball. And those hands are so bad. I am really down on him ever developing much more touch. I still believe he can develop into a solid role player, but now I think it will only be for rebounds and defense.

    Edited by cornfed24-7
    Sp

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    16 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

    I can only speak for myself here, but I just expected so much more from his development over the offseason. Especially after seeing the few videos he posted on social media. He looked much more explosive and his body was drastically transformed. I never expected him to be anything more that a solid role player in the post. But, I thought that would be on offense and defence. Now I'm not sure he ever develops much of an offense. I mean you can't get him any closer to the basket with the ball. And those hands are so bad. I am really down on him ever developing much more touch. I still believe he can develop into a solid role player, but now I think it will only be for rebounds and defense.


    His body does look better.  Those videos didn’t have defenders either.  It’s a different ballgame when there are more people inside.

     

    Also— he did all that “development” by himself in France.  So just imagine what Fred and company could do with a whole summer!

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    17 minutes ago, hskr4life said:


    His body does look better.  Those videos didn’t have defenders either.  It’s a different ballgame when there are more people inside.

     

    Also— he did all that “development” by himself in France.  So just imagine what Fred and company could do with a whole summer!

    I am by no means ready to write him off. Those hands though. I just don't see that changing much regardless where he trains. My hopes there have been dashed. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    The Good:   We won.  Banton approached triple double territory.  When we are crisp in passing we look good.  We had only 10 turnovers and we got a bunch of steals. 

     

    The Bad: Disappointed that we shot poorly from 3pt range again.   They can be 3's but they need to be in flow with the offense.   I think they are taking some shots too early in the offense.   We look good when we make that extra pass. 

     

    The Ugly:   Outrebounded by NDSU.  

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    5 hours ago, BjoeHusker said:

    I know we're only three games in, but I've been disappointed with Yvan's inability to finish at the basket. So far he's shooting 28% (5/18) on the season, with just about all his shots coming from within two feet of the basket. 

    I certainly hope his minutes are completely taken by Andre and Walker. If not....

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, jimmykc said:

    HuskerFever: Can't recall the exact number, but I did have some hair. I was more concerned about my knees bending in the right direction though.

    Need those knees bending right to get down to that camping grill and use that Butane to Cookman.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    3 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

    I can only speak for myself here, but I just expected so much more from his development over the offseason. Especially after seeing the few videos he posted on social media. He looked much more explosive and his body was drastically transformed. I never expected him to be anything more that a solid role player in the post. But, I thought that would be on offense and defence. Now I'm not sure he ever develops much of an offense. I mean you can't get him any closer to the basket with the ball. And those hands are so bad. I am really down on him ever developing much more touch. I still believe he can develop into a solid role player, but now I think it will only be for rebounds and defense.


    You form opinions on social media videos?     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    3 minutes ago, HB said:


    You form opinions on social media videos?     

    Sure, videos of him jumping, basketball drills, the way his body looks. Not sure why one wouldn't. 

    Edited by cornfed24-7
    Sp

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

  • Member Statistics

    1,252
    Total Members
    1,610
    Most Online
    Omaha Husker
    Newest Member
    Omaha Husker
    Joined
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...