Jump to content
  • uneblinstu
    uneblinstu

    uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 30 - @ Michigan State

    Sign in to follow this  

      #9 Michigan St 91 - Nebraska 76

      Another road game, another defensive no-show

       

      D08I9ahXgAANZzp.jpg

       

    I was in and out of this game. It sounded like they put up a decent fight. Y'all will have to break it down for me.

    Sign in to follow this  


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    We played harder.  

     

    We played better.

     

    We had one gawd awful stretch in the first half.

     

    We struggled rebounding, or so it seemed.

     

    We had a one minute brain snuffing sequence in the second half.

     

    And lest I forget, our defense allowed three players (at least two) get career highs.

     

     

    Edited by Huskerpapa

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, RedEyedFanatic said:

    I saw on the box score Allen didn't play. Did they say what his injury was? I intentionally didn't read much about the Michigan game and didn't notice it being discussed

    He was in street clothes.  I think an ankle injury is what I heard.  He would have helped.  No threat of outside shooting by Harris.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    4 minutes ago, brfrad said:

    He was in street clothes.  I think an ankle injury is what I heard.  He would have helped.  No threat of outside shooting by Harris.

    Mid-level ankle sprang. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    We give an effort like this Sunday, we'll have a chance.  Ever since Iowa beat Michigan, they have not played well.  Beat Indiana by 5.  Had to come back from 11 down with 2 minutes to go at home to bottom feeder Northwestern.  Beat Rutgers on a hail mary shot.  Lost to Maryland by 1 at home.  Beat Indiana in OT.  Lost by double digits to Rutgers at home.  They haven't played well, but it ended with them going 3 - 2.  We haven't played well for the last 13 games and we are 2 - 11.  The basketball gods sometimes just aren't fair.

     

    Now, Iowa will probably come out and make every shot they take.  Make every free throw, and we will shoot 10 %.  

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    21 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

     

     

    We struggled rebounding, or so it seemed.

     

     

    We had more offensive rebounds than MSU.  That's what I look at for rebounding.  Typically, we miss more shots than the opponent.  A defensive rebound % wise is a better chance than an offensive rebound.  

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    31 minutes ago, brfrad said:

    We give an effort like this Sunday, we'll have a chance.  Ever since Iowa beat Michigan, they have not played well.  Beat Indiana by 5.  Had to come back from 11 down with 2 minutes to go at home to bottom feeder Northwestern.  Beat Rutgers on a hail mary shot.  Lost to Maryland by 1 at home.  Beat Indiana in OT.  Lost by double digits to Rutgers at home.  They haven't played well, but it ended with them going 3 - 2.  We haven't played well for the last 13 games and we are 2 - 11.  The basketball gods sometimes just aren't fair.

     

    Now, Iowa will probably come out and make every shot they take.  Make every free throw, and we will shoot 10 %.  

    Might be a good idea to guard Bohannon.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Notes

     

    -James Palmer Jr. finished with 30 points, matching his season high (also vs. Creighton) and his 30-point game of the year. His 30 points was a high by a Michigan State opponent this year. It marked Palmer’s third career 30-point game.
    *- Palmer reached double figures for the 28th time this season with 30 points, his 14th 20-point game of the season. His 14 20-point games is the most since Tyronn Lue had 16 in 1997-98. He moved into 10th place on NU’s single-season points list with his performance. 
    *-Glynn Watson Jr. reached double figures for the 21st time this season with a season-high 25 points. He also had 25 against Purdue on Feb. 23. Watson now has 1,422 points, moving past Venson Hamilton (1,416 points) for 12th on Nebraska’s career list. 
    *-With four assists, Watson also moved past Jamar Johnson (355, 1992-94) for eighth place on NU’s career assist list, as Watson now has 358 career assists.
    *-Isaiah Roby set a career high with five assists, topping his previous best of four set on five other occasions, most recently against Purdue on Feb. 9
    *-With two blocks tonight, Roby now has 50 on the season. He is the second player in school history to post consecutive 50-block, 50-assist seasons, joining Venson Hamilton (1997-98, 1998-99)
    *-Amir Harris made his first career start tonight, as Thomas Allen (ankle) did not play. Tonight marked the sixth different lineup the Huskers have used this season.
    *-Michigan State was the fifth opponent in the last 55 games to shoot over 50 percent against the Huskers dating back to last

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I am pleased from the standpoint that we gave pretty good effort.  I also thought the offensive spacing looked a little bit better than many games without Copeland.  If we could have made more free throws we had a shot to put a little bit of game pressure on them.  Nana boneheaded play really hurt.  An example of bad teams doing losing things.  

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Played hard. Fought back. Didn't give up. Found a way to get Palmer and Watson going on the same night, which is nice.

     

    Felt like the Flagrant on Nana (that resulted in the 5-point possession for MSU) was the back breaker. We had cut the lead to 7, Nana misses a rebound, chops at the ball VERY hard (seemingly out of frustration for missing the rebound), hits the MSU player instead. Flagrant One. Two free throws. Nine-point game. McQuaid hits a three. All of a sudden it's a twelve-point game. And we just couldn't recover.

     

    But love that the team showed some fight. Need to get Roby going earlier.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, dustystehl said:

    Played hard. Fought back. Didn't give up. Found a way to get Palmer and Watson going on the same night, which is nice.

     

    Felt like the Flagrant on Nana (that resulted in the 5-point possession for MSU) was the back breaker. We had cut the lead to 7, Nana misses a rebound, chops at the ball VERY hard (seemingly out of frustration for missing the rebound), hits the MSU player instead. Flagrant One. Two free throws. Nine-point game. McQuaid hits a three. All of a sudden it's a twelve-point game. And we just couldn't recover.

     

    But love that the team showed some fight. Need to get Roby going earlier.

    Actually, the slap didn't cause the flagrant one.  It was the new hook and hold rule.  He grabbed the MSU's arm and drug him to the ground.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    15 minutes ago, brfrad said:

    Actually, the slap didn't cause the flagrant one.  It was the new hook and hold rule.  He grabbed the MSU's arm and drug him to the ground.

    Agreed.

     

    And not that it matters, but at the time of the hook and hold on Nana, it was a 9 point game.  2 tech FTs and the McQuade 3 made it a 14 point game.  I know - 12 pts, 14 pts - what's the difference?  

     

    What I find so frustrating is how the last few games they get down by 20 pts at halftime, leaving them NO CHANCE to mount a comeback.  

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites


    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...