Jump to content
  • Sign in to follow this  

    uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 15 - @ Iowa


    uneblinstu
    • #24 Iowa 93 - #25 Nebraska 84

      Huskers cold from 3 and forget to pack their defense for yet another road gameCapture.JPG

       

       

    Where'd the defense go? There's a lot of basketball left, but this team isn't playing it's best right now. We knew this would be a rough stretch, they need to get right at home vs. Penn St. on Thursday.

    Sign in to follow this  


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    2 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

    They threw a zone at us and dared us to shoot the 3, & we happily obliged. Spare me the, here we go “same old Nebraska” talk.  Now is when we’ve gotta stay the course and keep ballin. I already heard too many yahoos at the bar writing off the season and start yapping about the Spring game.

    GOOOOOOOOOO!! BIIIIIIIIGG!!! REEEEE-EDDDDDD!!!

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    We have the ability to beat almost anyone anywhere on a given night.  That is why we must get in the dance.  I worry that our flaws could prevent us from getting there if variance works completely against us.  Ability to shoot, ability to have a toughness required, and an ability to have coaching staff with an X factor that can put you over the top schematically at the end of close ones.  Those are my concerns.  

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    30 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

    They threw a zone at us and dared us to shoot the 3, & we happily obliged. Spare me the, here we go “same old Nebraska” talk.  Now is when we’ve gotta stay the course and keep ballin. I already heard too many yahoos at the bar writing off the season and start yapping about the Spring game.

    Dave's?

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    We're not going to win many games when Palmer/Watson/Allen/Copeland combine for 2-18 from 3 Pt range.  Even if they shoot a below average 33%, we're at least in the game.  Bad shooting nights happen and this is the problem with throwing away two other road games we should have closed out and won.  We've dug a hole but this team will bounce back.  

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

    Sometimes I worry our ceiling under Miles is a bubble team. That’s kinda who he’s been his entire career, seems like asking for more is asking a tiger to change his stripes. 

     

    I've wondered about Miles as well. I like the guy, his coaching ceiling appears to almost tapped out. We'll have to wait & see how it plays out in 2019. Hope it gets better, and fast! GBR !!!

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, AuroranHusker said:

     

    I've wondered about Miles as well. I like the guy, his coaching ceiling appears to almost tapped out. We'll have to wait & see how it plays out in 2019. Hope it gets better, and fast! GBR !!!

     

    This team has been great at home. I’m still hoping to win out at home again and find a way to win 2-3 Big Ten road games. We will be feeling great if that happens. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    15 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

    This team has been great at home. I’m still hoping to win out at home again and find a way to win 2-3 Big Ten road games. We will be feeling great if that happens. 

     

    Yeah, that's kind of the conclusion I've found myself now. I hope NU is rock solid in Lincoln. Hope for better D on the road, I guess. I had real high hopes so these past 2 games have kind of shook me a bit.

     

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

     

    Yeah, that's kind of the conclusion I've found myself now. I hope NU is rock solid in Lincoln. Hope for better D on the road, I guess. I had real high hopes so these past 2 games have kind of shook me a bit.

     

     

     

    I have learned over 53 years to not have high hopes about Husker basketball.   Ever.   Any good that happens is gravy.   But the curse prevails.    

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    Just now, HB said:

     

    I have learned over 53 years to not have high hopes about Husker basketball.   Ever.   Any good that happens is gravy.   But the curse prevails.    

     

    Man, that's depressing. I had really thought that NU had a modicum of defensive prowess. Guess "not so much" away from Lincoln.

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    We looked flat after a nice start. The scoring pace felt a bit too fast for us to keep up with however.

    I ask myself, who is/are our leader(s)? I felt like Glynn had made some progress in this area in the off season, but he is regressing and I'm not talking about his play per se. His body language and his propensity to take himself out of the game a bit when frustrated are not good qualities in a point guard. An example this game was his 4th foul with about 15 minutes left. It felt careless.

    We seem to be dragging a bit and the lack of depth REALLY hurts. It's awfully early to be saying this.

    Of course being 1-3 with 3 conference road games isn't out of the ordinary, but we got two teams that haven't been playing that well overall during student break so we missed prime opportunities to "steal" both games. To our credit it felt like we were losing this game by more than we actually did. I find myself especially concerned when I see someone who left doing so well elsewhere (Michael Jacobsen) and it's brought to mind that I can't really recall too many players who were drastically improved by the time they left here.

    I'm on record as being done with Miles for quite a while. I certainly hope we come through, but I am reserving judgment on this particular team. I will certainly be cheering us on.

    GBR

    Edited by Husker4theSpurs

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    3 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

    We looked flat after a nice start. The scoring pace felt a bit too fast for us to keep up with however.

    I ask myself, who is/are our leader(s)? I felt like Glynn had made some progress in this area in the off season, but he is regressing and I'm not talking about his play per se. His body language and his propensity to take himself out of the game a bit when frustrated are not good qualities in a point guard. An example this game was his 4th foul with about 15 minutes left. It felt careless.

    We seem to be dragging a bit and the lack of depth REALLY hurts. It's awfully early to be saying this.

    Of course being 1-3 with 3 conference road games isn't out of the ordinary, but we got two teams that haven't been playing that well overall during student break so we missed prime opportunities to "steal" both games. To our credit it felt like we were losing this game by more than we actually did. I find myself especially concerned when I see someone who left doing so well elsewhere (Michael Jacobsen) and it's brought to mind that I can't really recall too many players who were drastically improved by the time they left here.

    I'm on record as being done with Miles for quite a while. I certainly hope we come through, but I am reserving judgment on this particular team. I will certainly be cheering us on.

    GBR

    Glynn was the one I noticed with the poor body language late. And you nailed it on his 4th foul. Almost a I'd rather be on the bench than play right now.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    3 minutes ago, rr52 said:

    Glynn was the one I noticed with the poor body language late. And you nailed it on his 4th foul. Almost a I'd rather be on the bench than play right now.

     

    I think Glynn was really frustrated by the officials today, for some reason. One ref in particular was rather one-sided on how he called this one. That's all I'll say.

     

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    5 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

     

    I think Glynn was really frustrated by the officials today, for some reason. One ref in particular was rather one-sided on how he called this one. That's all I'll say.

     

     

    Wouldn't be the same one that was laughing with Bohannon following a timeout soon after they called the charge on Allen? 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    3 hours ago, rr52 said:

    Is lack of depth already making this team tired? Wonder if that is why defense is lacking right now. Didn't like body language late in game by a couple players. Hopefully it was more of disappointment with the how things were going at that point. Frustrated that Huskers didn't attack the zone defense or the press. The high lobs breaking press back and forth were begging to get stolen at some point. And just like the zone offense how about a pass and cut. And I think Watson could've broken it down press with his dribble and created some lob/dish off chances. Time to pull up the boot straps and beat Penn St. If players were mad after Maryland loss they should be extremely P'O'ed after this showing.

    That’s how I see it, our lack of depth has been a factor against MN and MD too, getting tired and giving up 2nd half leads. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    * I’m not upset about this game. We got outplayed for the majority of it and that will happen. People who were frustrated about the Minnesota and Maryland loss have a right to be. Because nights like this happen.  We outplayed MN and MD for a majority of the game and didn’t get the W.   So those games irritate me. 

     

    * The Bohannon 3 before the half was awful on our part. 1.  We could have subbed and set up D since it was off of a FT 2. Allen goes for steal. 3.  Heiman isn’t in position to turn dribble. 4. Had another chance (maybe Thor?) to step up and force a pass which would have allowed the clock to run out. Turns out we did nothing right.  Just poor on all accounts.  If we don’t have a specific defense for this exact situation it is ineptness by the coaches. If we do then awful execution which sums up the game. 

     

    *When your best player isn’t one of your top workers then it may be a tough year. Palmer has huge defensive lapses. Being our best player, his lack of urgency rubs off.  

     

    * The decision to run man traps out of the full court (if that is even what we were doing late in the first half) led to some easy Iowa looks. Seemed we had some defensive traction with straight man late in the half rand tried to trap on the wing some.  Sort of run and jump style.  I don’t get it. 

     

    * We didn’t get a favorable whistle. On the road you can’t expect it. But that didn’t help us much. 

     

    * Ya we shot poorly from 3 but a lot of them were  ‘bad’ 3s. Iowa had a bunch of slugs on the floor and in key times of the game we settled (BTN announcers almost threw up in their moths on the Palmer 2nd half launch from 25 feet) instead of attack gaps in zone and draw D for good looks or get to the line. 

     

     

    We didnt play good enough to win. Sucks that our other two conference road games we did and went 0-2. That is where my real frustration still lies. 

     

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...