Jump to content
  • Sign in to follow this  

    uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 14 - @ Maryland


    uneblinstu
    • Maryland 74 - #24 Nebraska 72

      Huskers have a lost of chances to put this game away but couldn't seal the deal

       

      Capture.JPG

    1st Half:

    - Not sure Maryland has someone that can handle JPJ.

    - I liked how we swarmed the paint when Smith and Fernando had the ball. Didn't do straight double team much but caused all sorts of issues for those two, especially the young Smith.

    - I thought 2nd chance points would be at a premium today and they have been. They've cashed in the rare opportunities they got.

    - In the middle of the half, we had a series of looks where we got really great opportunities and couldn't cash them in. We'll see if that ends up being costly. Was capped by a really bad 3pt attempt from Watson.

    - Speaking of Watson, got a little chippy there and probably fed into a cheap offensive foul.

    - Loved the way they responded to end the half after Maryland went on their little run.

    - Tanner gave some really nice minutes. Defended Fernando pretty well and got some bonus points from him.

    - Heiman, not so much. 3 fouls in 2 minutes. Ouch.

     

     

    2nd Half:

    - Roby had a dominant start to the half. The poster was nice, the scream in Smith's face was better. I like pissed off Roby.

    - Copeland getting poked in the eye cost NU 2 points. Not sure why he stayed in the game after they stopped the game for that.

    - Palmer had a couple sloppy turnovers, but that wrap-around pass to Tanner was a thing of beauty.

    - Roby going down was scary. Maybe just a little cramping?

    - Free throws were a little problematic tonight.

    - Fernando is a load. He likes to travel, but he's also a load.

    - Palmer is so good at drawing fouls.

    - Oddly quiet game from Copeland tonight.

    - 3 pt defense not as stingy as usual.

    - Starters carried a very heavy load tonight.

    - Couldn't get that lead to 10. 

    - That scramble that led to the Allen layup was pretty significant.

    - Pretty great defensive possession with a 1 point lead in the last couple minutes. 

    - Didn't like the zone call on that last possession to put Maryland up. Both times.

    - NU did some things to cost them the game. I think I'm gonna err on the side of tipping my cap to Maryland. They've got some talent and made plays down the stretch. NU needs to figure out how to close these games out, though.

    Sign in to follow this  


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    Didn't read through this, but we have got to get a better look up one under a minute than a long two by Palmer.  We need to try to explore attacking.  Ball got stuck and that doesn't create driving lanes.  That was a chance to all but end it and we shit the bed.  Bailed them out with a long two.  The exact shot you don't ever want to take, let alone at the most important time.  

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    One of the things that’s hurts the team in close games is Palmer cheating/freelancing on defense. If you look at a lot of the situations where the D has to go into scramble mode, it’s because he lost track of his man while trying to make a play on or watching where the ball is. A perfect example is when he lost Cowan at the top of the key for a layup because he was looking at the ball in the post. In a blowout those mistakes are hidden but giving up those two easy points were huge tonight.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    5 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

     

    Beating Iowa would help. As I said earlier, 3-3 would be solid during this stretch. Iowa is very winnable. As is Indiana on the road. I’m afraid Rutgers won’t be an easy task. But such is life in the Big Ten this year. 

    Why is Rutgers, which should be a gimmie included in this stretch?  That seems arbitrary

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    5 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

    Also that’s literally how it goes down for every coach not named Coach K, Bill Self or Roy Williams. Fair or Not.

    ?  Most coaches don't lose most 50-50 games down the stretch.  I would settle for winning 50 percent of them.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    4 hours ago, PimpMario said:

    ?  Most coaches don't lose most 50-50 games down the stretch.  I would settle for winning 50 percent of them.

    For some reason it didn’t also quote what you were responding too. Was trying to say basically every coach carry’s the blame for the loss and gets little praise for the wins - unless they are a HOFer.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    6 hours ago, PimpMario said:

    Why is Rutgers, which should be a gimmie included in this stretch?  That seems arbitrary

    There are 18 games in this segment of conference play. That's 3 six game stretches. They're game six in the first segment. Not that arbitrary.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    Just now, uneblinstu said:

    There are 18 games in this segment of conference play. That's 3 six game stretches. They're game six in the first segment. Not that arbitrary.

     

    Plus it's an away game, which by no means is a gimme no matter who you're playing.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    8 hours ago, jimmychitwood said:

    One of the things that’s hurts the team in close games is Palmer cheating/freelancing on defense. If you look at a lot of the situations where the D has to go into scramble mode, it’s because he lost track of his man while trying to make a play on or watching where the ball is. A perfect example is when he lost Cowan at the top of the key for a layup because he was looking at the ball in the post. In a blowout those mistakes are hidden but giving up those two easy points were huge tonight.

    Some of it is because he’s tired but ya Palmer isn’t always locked in defensively. For everything else he gives us it’s just kinda something you have to accept though 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Not to be ref guy, but did it bother anyone else that we were called for 2 or 3 questionable "trip" fouls and then Allen was clearly tripped on the way to a layup, turned it over, and Maryland hit a 3 to  tie it on their 10-2 run? That felt like a big turning point to me. Of course there were a lot of other things that went wrong.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 minutes ago, avfan2121 said:

    Not to be ref guy, but did it bother anyone else that we were called for 2 or 3 questionable "trip" fouls and then Allen was clearly tripped on the way to a layup, turned it over, and Maryland hit a 3 to  tie it on their 10-2 run? That felt like a big turning point to me. Of course there were a lot of other things that went wrong.

    I scared my girls half to death and got in trouble with the wife when I became unglued and yelled at the TV when that sequence happened. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    3 minutes ago, avfan2121 said:

    Not to be ref guy, but did it bother anyone else that we were called for 2 or 3 questionable "trip" fouls and then Allen was clearly tripped on the way to a layup, turned it over, and Maryland hit a 3 to  tie it on their 10-2 run? That felt like a big turning point to me. Of course there were a lot of other things that went wrong.

    Ya but not as much as the fact they were able to body us all night as we tried to set up offense and only got called for it twice that I saw 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

    Ya but not as much as the fact they were able to body us all night as we tried to set up offense and only got called for it twice that I saw 

    When it comes to 50/50 officiating, it seems that other teams are always allowed to play with much more physicality than we are allowed. Then Roby will get called for breathing on a guy. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 minutes ago, avfan2121 said:

    When it comes to 50/50 officiating, it seems that other teams are always allowed to play with much more physicality than we are allowed. Then Roby will get called for breathing on a guy. 

    Yup roby has improved quite a bit in the last hand full of games in that regard however. That and the questionable touches Bruno had in the post ticked me off last night

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    8 hours ago, PimpMario said:

    Why is Rutgers, which should be a gimmie included in this stretch?  That seems arbitrary

    Nothing is a gimme in the Big Ten.  As it stands right now we will likely be a 4-6 point favorite vs Rutgers. We should win but it will be no gimme. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    8 hours ago, PimpMario said:

    Why is Rutgers, which should be a gimmie included in this stretch?  That seems arbitrary

    Their inclusion isn't arbitrary in a bucket of 6.  The bucket of 6 is arbitrary though.  

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    If you want a silver lining to all of this these sorts of road games against mid-level Big 10 teams are the types of games we need to figure out how to win in March and one very good teacher is failure.  As long as the conference doesn't break the Huskers physically this is going to be a tough as iron team in March.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...