Jump to content
  • Sign in to follow this  

    uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 25 - @ Wisconsin


    uneblinstu
    • palmer.jpg

       

      Nebraska battles back with a 30-8 run at the Kohl Center to keep their NCAA tournament run hopes going. James Palmer with a game high 28.

    Didn't really get to watch this one as close as usual, but this was a gritty, gutsy win. To be down that big and charge back to win comfortably is really remarkable. Impressive win. Hope they get rested up and go get another one on Tuesday. Big time stuff, I'm so happy right now!

    Sign in to follow this  


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    1 minute ago, huskercwg said:

    The game of basketball has evolved/changed between the multiple decades.  Dave did not have to deal as much with the physical play.  I also do not remember Dave's handles being remotely close to Happ's.  But I believe Dave has a better shot and was an overall better scorer. 

    Hoppen from the line: 77 percent for his career, 80 percent as a senior. Hopp > Happ

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    I feel like Jordy doesn't get enough props for what he brought to the game tonight (and really the last half dozen games or so)
     
    I am starting to be a big Jordy fan!  #Normandie #RiskyRoadz
    Hopefully he can play his way back into the starting line up.
    i feel gill has struggled since starting and seems better coming off the bench along with evan


    Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    7 minutes ago, thattimeofyear said:

    Hopefully he can play his way back into the starting line up.
    i feel gill has struggled since starting and seems better coming off the bench along with evan


    Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk
     

    Would you change the line up now given how we are playing?  The great thing about this team is that we could put together several different line ups with the depth and ability of this roster.  :) Heck, last night we had Evan playing either power forward or Post (I am not even certain Evan knew which one he was playing)

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    10 minutes ago, thattimeofyear said:

    Hopefully he can play his way back into the starting line up.
    i feel gill has struggled since starting and seems better coming off the bench along with evan


    Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk
     

     

    I'm not really sure if it matters if Jordy is starting or not.  His minutes are pretty much determined on how his foul situation is going.  Gill has struggled but I say don't mess with the lineup right now if we continue to win.  Gill still starts but maybe give Thomas more minutes?  JMO

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    5 hours ago, Swan88 said:

    Two points:

     

       1.  A lot of Roby's fouls come when he's trying to clean up after someone else's defensive error; and I hate it when a ref does the old Leslie Nielsen umpire routine from Naked Gun when calling a foul on the Huskers. 

     

       2.  One of my favorite plays of the night came in the last couple minutes:  one of Wisconsin's bigs got the ball in front of the basket, with no Husker in front of or beside him; he went up for a two-hand dunk, except that Watson, standing behind him, went up first and blocked it from behind!  Nebraska got the rebound.

     

    naked gun is an auto-like. it's a rule, I think. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, khoock said:

    I'd suggest Miles give Gill an extra day of rest these next 8 days off. He probably needs it.

     

    The whole team will be getting two days of rest, but those won't be back-to-back days.

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, AuroranHusker said:

     

    The whole team will be getting two days of rest, but those won't be back-to-back days.

     

    But unless they are dealing with an injury, I am betting that each and every player will be both in the gym and the weight room...and likely reviewing a butt load of film.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    6 hours ago, Swan88 said:

    He has a Wiki page.  Here is a highlight reel of his 2015-16 season: 

     

     

    I watch that video of Brian Diaz and it's sort of melancholy because you see a player with these really incredible tools.  He has fantastic hands and good touch.  He's mobile for a guy that size.  He has good length and good hoops IQ.  Knows how to get good position and can score against defense when he gets the ball in low.  

     

    Imagine him on this team.  

     

    I'd love to get another kid like him, even if he doesn't dunk very much.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    4 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

    Love that we are on BTN because I get to watch every game but it would be refreshing to get some new broadcasters from FS1 or one of the ESPN affiliates 

    This is kind of off topic but I watch on the Fox Sports Go app. The video quality is way better than the BTN2go app! 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    26 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

     

    I watch that video of Brian Diaz and it's sort of melancholy because you see a player with these really incredible tools.  He has fantastic hands and good touch.  He's mobile for a guy that size.  He has good length and good hoops IQ.  Knows how to get good position and can score against defense when he gets the ball in low.  

     

    Imagine him on this team.  

     

    I'd love to get another kid like him, even if he doesn't dunk very much.

    Agreed.  He played very well while at Nebraska--for all the reasons you mention, Norm.  

    Brian never deserved the grief and derision he's received from this fan base. 

    And we desperately needed him to stay for another season, rather than leaving early for the pros back home. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

     

    The whole team will be getting two days of rest, but those won't be back-to-back days.

     

    Yes. Gill should be given an extra day.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    He's still playing basketball?  He always looked like (to me) he never really cared for the game but just played it because he was tall & had some skills.  When we saw motivated Diaz, it was a something else, just didn't get it often enough.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    26 minutes ago, dskurz said:

    He's still playing basketball?  He always looked like (to me) he never really cared for the game but just played it because he was tall & had some skills.  When we saw motivated Diaz, it was a something else, just didn't get it often enough.

    Brian had a placid demeanor, which was often mistaken for a lack of fire and intensity.  But he had plenty of fire and intensity and demonstrated it, consistently, by playing hard and well.  And he’s kept on playing the game for many years hence—not bad for someone who “never really cared for the game.”

    If you watch the 2015-16 video above, you’ll see the same (but slightly heavier) Brian that played at Nebraska.  

    And I’ll repeat, Brian never deserved the derision, including the put-downs of his effort and intensity, that he received from this fan base.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    8 HUGE rebounds by Palmer.  For us to operate with the small lineup he has got to be a man on the glass.  He was in this one.  We need him to keep hammering the boards hard, as he also can start his own fast break. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    4 hours ago, huskercwg said:

    The game of basketball has evolved/changed between the multiple decades.  Dave did not have to deal as much with the physical play.  I also do not remember Dave's handles being remotely close to Happ's.  But I believe Dave has a better shot and was an overall better scorer. 

    You're probably right about the physical play, but I do remember Hoppen held his own against Wayman Tisdale.  His touch around the basket was soooo good.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    29 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

    Brian had a placid demeanor, which was often mistaken for a lack of fire and intensity.  But he had plenty of fire and intensity and demonstrated it, consistently, by playing hard and well.  And he’s kept on playing the game for many years hence—not bad for someone who “never really cared for the game.”

    If you watch the 2015-16 video above, you’ll see the same (but slightly heavier) Brian that played at Nebraska.  

    And I’ll repeat, Brian never deserved the derision, including the put-downs of his effort and intensity, that he received from this fan base.

     

    His feet were what didn't allow him to be all he could be for us.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Silverbacked1 said:

     

    His feet were what didn't allow him to be all he could be for us.

     

    Feet don't seem to bother him now.  Now that he's older.  And playing more games.  With probably less rest.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

     

    Feet don't seem to bother him now.  Now that he's older.  And playing more games.  With probably less rest.

     

    I just remember that he had to wear special inserts and different shoes than the rest of the team.  Also the coaches talked about how bad his feet were.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    10 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

     

    I just remember that he had to wear special inserts and different shoes than the rest of the team.  Also the coaches talked about how bad his feet were.

    Sort of like Ed Morrow...

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    4 hours ago, cipsucks said:

    You're probably right about the physical play, but I do remember Hoppen held his own against Wayman Tisdale.  His touch around the basket was soooo good.

    Lots of good points. Hoppen played when the 5 was almost exclusively back to the basket. Happ is more agile and has better handles but Hoppen wouldn't have ever been asked (perhaps not even allowed) to develop those skills. His offensive post skills were as good as his athletic ability allowed. 

     

    He did have to be physical, and they hit him in practice with those pads football coaches would use. Also, he played before the 3 point line so double teams tended to be closer and quicker to arrive. He often scored half of the team's points.

     

    I also used to be him in my driveway and score 40 on Kansas, including the buzzer beating game winner. 😁

     

    My all time favorite Husker cager.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    5 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

     

    His feet were what didn't allow him to be all he could be for us.

    Diaz took way too much grief.  If freshman Brian Jorge Diaz is on our team this year, we are a Sweet 16 caliber team. He was everything we are missing. He was a very good passer as well. I could really see Copeland benefiting from playing with Diaz.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, hal9000 said:

     

     

    Diaz was impressive. A player like him would really help us now. But as a freshman in his 2nd game against KU, Standhardinger really exposed himself!

     

    Sorry for stealing your joke, Norm! 😀

     

    I've been a Husker basketball fan since my youth in the 80s. I've been on here for a number of years but rarely if ever comment. Really appreciate the insight, the commentary, and especially the jokes on here! Keep up the good work everyone, enjoy this fantastic season, and GBR all the way to the tourney! 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

×