Does Jim Delaney and the Big Ten have a reffing problem?

lefty_g

If it was only one coach that was complaining about not getting any calls, it would seem like sour grapes.  But now Nebraska, Penn State and Northwestern have stated publicly that they get no respect because they are not an "A list" program.  Penn State's coach went ballistic and got tossed at Michigan state I believe, Northwestern's coach basically said that the refs didn't have the "guts" to call the travel at that end of the game, and Tim Miles came out pretty much saying that same thing. Could get interesting but nothing will probably happen other than these three schools will never get a 50-50 call again. ;)

Does the Big have a reffing problem?  Yeah, they suck.  The last 3 minutes of the Maryland game were inexcusable.  I don't bitch about them missing a difficult judgment call.  I do have a  problem when they are inconsistent and call it one way for the chosen ones, and one way for the wannabes.  Well, I'm sick of them.  I would make Pat Chambers' tirades the last 2 years look like child's play.  Keep 'em away from me.   

It is the consistency that is my beef with them.  One trip down a slight hand touch is a foul, the next time it is not.  One trip down the guy driving creates contact and there is a foul.  The next trip down the same thing and the whistle is swallowed.  We saw twice late in the year how fouls were called differently at the end of a game.  Sour grapes for certain coaches to complain? Maybe, but nothing gets done if they truly believe there is a difference and they sit quietly.  Sad thing is the league will never discipline an official for a bad game.

Does the Big have a reffing problem?  Yeah, they suck.  The last 3 minutes of the Maryland game were inexcusable.  I don't bitch about them missing a difficult judgment call.  I do have a  problem when they are inconsistent and call it one way for the chosen ones, and one way for the wannabes.  Well, I'm sick of them.  I would make Pat Chambers' tirades the last 2 years look like child's play.  Keep 'em away from me.   

HB, we said the same thing about officiating in the Big 8 and the big12.  Heck, jimmy was bitching about officiating in the old Missouri Valley conference...   The way to change calls is to win a conference regular season championship.  Haven't done that in a hundred years....

Are you gonna do the lunch thing?  Or is it "I'm too busy".   ;)

HB, we said the same thing about officiating in the Big 8 and the big12.  Heck, jimmy was bitching about officiating in the old Missouri Valley conference...   The way to change calls is to win a conference regular season championship.  Haven't done that in a hundred years....

Wish I could do the lunch thing.  You get down this way Cip lunch and a beer is on me.

It's circular, Cip.  Chicken and egg.  How the hell ya gonna win the championship if you're gettin' violated the whole time?  And yes, I said it in both those conferences cause it was true.  Saw it with my own eyes. 

Would love to do the lunch thing but out of town until next Tuesday.  Open Wednesday and Friday of that week if that works.  

I wouldn't want any of my children to grow up to be an official -- football, basketball or baseball.  My Dad was a great HS official and refereed until he was 60+ years old.  But today's athlete is bigger and faster.  Compound that by every player and coach who seem to go through life being enabled.

That said, this inconsistency that I see is unbearable.  It isn't just our games, it is across the board.  But, there is an additional problem, that is the appearance of favoritism that is displayed.  I heard Collins go off in an interview the other day.  Man, it hurts to hear that type of comment. 

There has to be an answer, but I have no clue what it is.

That's right, only losers bitch about officiating.  Start winning and nobody will complain. 

I wouldn't want any of my children to grow up to be an official -- football, basketball or baseball.  My Dad was a great HS official and refereed until he was 60+ years old.  But today's athlete is bigger and faster.  Compound that by every player and coach who seem to go through life being enabled.

That said, this inconsistency that I see is unbearable.  It isn't just our games, it is across the board.  But, there is an additional problem, that is the appearance of favoritism that is displayed.  I heard Collins go off in an interview the other day.  Man, it hurts to hear that type of comment. 

There has to be an answer, but I have no clue what it is.

Per Fastbreaker, Collins is a loser.

For me, it's not necessarily about whether we win or lose.  What drives me nuts is the inconsistency.  The way a game is called could change from one half to the next or depending on which team has the ball. 

The way they call or don't call moving screens just bugs me.  If it's a ball screen and the screener is moving, they MIGHT call it.  Often they don't.  If it's a screen away from the ball and we have a defender chasing one of their shooters around a screen and the screener throws a hip into our defender, they almost NEVER call it.

It's the inconsistency that bothers me.

Get rid of traveling.  Don't call it anyway.  I am mostly talking about the foot shuffle, changing pivot foot, three to the hoop.  Now if you notice most don't do to bad about doing more than that.

Once in a while you get that guy who just runs with it, but until that became a problem wouldn't call it.

Just think that would take the crowd yelling down a bit.

I don't think I can recall the last time I watched a game and didn't say out loud "THAT'S A TRAVEL OH MY GOD" at least once.

Like that game winning 3 that Michigan hit to beat Indiana?  If you look closely, it appears that Kevin Chatman is shuffling his feet all over the place before he got set and took the shot:

For me, it's not necessarily about whether we win or lose.  What drives me nuts is the inconsistency.  The way a game is called could change from one half to the next or depending on which team has the ball. 

The way they call or don't call moving screens just bugs me.  If it's a ball screen and the screener is moving, they MIGHT call it.  Often they don't.  If it's a screen away from the ball and we have a defender chasing one of their shooters around a screen and the screener throws a hip into our defender, they almost NEVER call it.

It's the inconsistency that bothers me.

We are on the same page

Get rid of traveling.  Don't call it anyway.  I am mostly talking about the foot shuffle, changing pivot foot, three to the hoop.  Now if you notice most don't do to bad about doing more than that.

Once in a while you get that guy who just runs with it, but until that became a problem wouldn't call it.

Watched a game the other day where every time a kid caught the ball out top he shuffled his feet 3 or 4 times, obvious shuffles and yet no call.  Agree time to do away with it much like holding on an offensive lineman.

Watched a game the other day where every time a kid caught the ball out top he shuffled his feet 3 or 4 times, obvious shuffles and yet no call.  Agree time to do away with it much like holding on an offensive lineman.

I disagree completely.  That's not basketball any longer.  

We might as well just put limit the game to great athletes, vs.those with skills and hard workers who embrace fundamentals.  Do away with defense completely.  Start the score at 100-100.  Why even require the dribble?

I can't remember which of the BIG tourney games it was but I remember the announcers talking about how much higher quality the officials in the BIG were in comparison with the ACC and other leagues.  They all seemed in agreement.  That said, there is definitely a hierarchy to how coaches and programs are treated.  The big name programs and coaches get more leeway and more of the close calls go their way.  I'm more convinced of that than ever based on watching what some coaches get T'd up for and what others don't get T'd for (cough, Tom Crean, Thad Matta, Tom Izzo, cough).

As others said, only way to get it evened out is to win!

A better question would be do fans of losing programs bitch about the refs more than those of winning programs

Not at all.

If there is a difference, it is that fans of losing programs assume a conspiracy whereas fans of winning programs just think that the officials suck.

Hmmm, yet I have heard plenty of complaining about officials from the big time programs as well.  Perhaps part of the overall problem is the antics by the coaches in general.  Does it fix the problem by forcing the coaches to stay seated.  Crean would likely explode if he ever sat down.  They are not supposed to leave their coaching boxes, but most often do without penalty. 

It still comes down to consistency.  There is an appearance of impropriety when a violation is often overlooked, and then all of a sudden a call is made against a particular player or team.  Goodness, the Purdue "bigs" were allowed to camp in the lane forever...was it ever called???  Nope, not to my knowledge.  I could go down a long list of violations that are sometimes called, but not consistently called...and that my friends is the problem. 

I disagree completely.  That's not basketball any longer.  

We might as well just put limit the game to great athletes, vs.those with skills and hard workers who embrace fundamentals.  Do away with defense completely.  Start the score at 100-100.  Why even require the dribble?

I wasn't serious, I think I have been very clear that I dislike what basketball is becoming.  If I wanted to see call your shot and street ball I would go down the local park and pull up a chair.