Slow clap for the Huskers

GATA

I think we can all agree on this, but I wanted to make a separate thread just to say how much I appreciate how hard this team is competing and the foundation that Miles and his staff are laying. As fans, we can all wash our hands of the season and point to the future, but I don't think Miles or his staff are doing that. 

By all intents and purposes we are playing with a 6-man rotation and they've absolutely battled three of the best teams in the Big Ten. It would be really easy for this team to throw in the towel and accept defeat, but they keep playing hard and hanging around in games they shouldn't (or at least games Vegas thinks they shouldn't). I would love a win or two, but the realist in me says this might be as good as it gets this season.

Regardless, I think this is a team we can all be proud of.

I agree! I just hope the "greatest fans" show up and support them. They NEED our help and that means being LOUD! No more library crowds like We had for Wisconsin. If you're there, make noise! I know I'm preaching to the choir but our last home crowd did a great impression of a funeral. If you show up to the game, SHOW UP and help make an impact! <rant over>

I agree! I just hope the "greatest fans" show up and support them. They NEED our help and that means being LOUD! No more library crowds like We had for Wisconsin. If you're there, make noise! I know I'm preaching to the choir but our last home crowd did a great impression of a funeral. If you show up to the game, SHOW UP and help make an impact! <rant over>

I agree about the Wisconsin game crowd. People were leaving with 2 minutes left when we went down by 4. Come on people, if you don't care at least act like you care when you are at the game and stay until the end!

I hate the fact we're the team that has to play well to lose by 10-15.  But, honestly, we've done better than I thought we would (I went on record saying Michigan would beat us by 40).  Miles, in losing games by double digits, is proving to be a fine hire (somehow he's making that sentence make sense).

Slow clap, indeed!

I hate the fact we're the team that has to play well to lose by 10-15.  But, honestly, we've done better than I thought we would (I went on record saying Michigan would beat us by 40).  Miles, in losing games by double digits, is proving to be a fine hire (somehow he's making that sentence make sense).

Slow clap, indeed!

We foul and they make freethrows in the end.  When you say lose by 10-15 it sounds as though we  were never in the game, when we were really within 3-5 the whole game.

As odd as it seems to say it now, Ubel's injury might actually be a good thing, long term, for these Huskers.  Let's face it:  with or without Ubel, we lose to MSU.  But would we have gotten the kind of elevate-your-game performances out of Shields and Rivers?

A couple of us who went to practices last year -- Bugeater Moon and I for sure -- said David was the best of the freshmen and I think a lot of folks on the board here, after watching him play last year, thought we were crazy.  In fact I KNOW some thought we were crazy.  But there were times last year on the scout team where Rivers absolutely drilled the reds. 

There was one time last year, I can't remember who he was supposed to mimic, but Doc wanted him catching and shooting threes coming off of screens.  And he absolutely torched the starters that practice.  I think he got some minutes early and lost confidence in himself and then just didn't see the floor much in the latter part of last year. 

But he's starting to show a little bit now the kind of player Moon and I thought he might be.  And he's getting the chance to step up -- and taking advantage of that chance -- only due to Ubel being hurt.  So, in a weird way, there might be a silver lining to Brandon getting hurt.   (Still, I'd rather a player not get hurt even if there is some small potential upside.)

I agree about the Wisconsin game crowd. People were leaving with 2 minutes left when we went down by 4. Come on people, if you don't care at least act like you care when you are at the game and stay until the end!

It's that the NEBRASKA way to leave early even with the game on the line. Gotta beat that traffic you know.

As odd as it seems to say it now, Ubel's injury might actually be a good thing, long term, for these Huskers.  Let's face it:  with or without Ubel, we lose to MSU.  But would we have gotten the kind of elevate-your-game performances out of Shields and Rivers?

A couple of us who went to practices last year -- Bugeater Moon and I for sure -- said David was the best of the freshmen and I think a lot of folks on the board here, after watching him play last year, thought we were crazy.  In fact I KNOW some thought we were crazy.  But there were times last year on the scout team where Rivers absolutely drilled the reds. 

There was one time last year, I can't remember who he was supposed to mimic, but Doc wanted him catching and shooting threes coming off of screens.  And he absolutely torched the starters that practice.  I think he got some minutes early and lost confidence in himself and then just didn't see the floor much in the latter part of last year. 

But he's starting to show a little bit now the kind of player Moon and I thought he might be.  And he's getting the chance to step up -- and taking advantage of that chance -- only due to Ubel being hurt.  So, in a weird way, there might be a silver lining to Brandon getting hurt.   (Still, I'd rather a player not get hurt even if there is some small potential upside.)

I get the argument here. I think the UTEP performance already put him in line for more minutes since he already demonstrated wht he could do prior to this game.

I'm one of those guys who thought David was probably a bust, but as we're seeing, some of these guys probably just needed to be handled a little differently than they were.

I admit, I was one of the doubters, and wondered if Bugeater had ingested too many drugs.  Rivers seemed athletic and could run the floor, but he had poor handles, couldn't pass, couldn't shoot, wasn't strong.  Didn't have the skills to be a wing, or the bulk to be a 4.  Figured he should play down a level or two where his length and athleticism would help him overcome the skill deficiencies.

Credit you and Bugeater, and CWG, who kept saying he could be a decent player.  You all were right, and I am happy to be wrong.

Credit to Miles who has David playing to his strengths, and with confidence.  He is becoming more consistent.  Credit to David for staying with it and working hard to get better.

I still don't want the guy indiscriminately launching long range jumpers.  But other teams will now have to guard him inside of 15 feet, as he has shown that he can shoot it well enough to be a threat from that distance.   That should help give Ray, Dylan, and even the big guy some relief.

Couldn't help chuckling during the Michigan St. game at our skinny-as-a-rail David Rivers, (i) guarding one-on-one the monster Spartan bigs, (ii) schooling those same bigs on the offensive end to the tune of 8 for 8 shooting, (iii) producing 6 rebounds, a block and a steal with 4 fouls and only one turnover, and (iv) never leaving the court--he played the entire 40 minutes. Pretty impressive!

He has to call those 3 pointers off the banking board from now on though.

I remember one time Jason Dourisseau banking in a 3 pointer from the corner against Creighton.  The CORNER!  How the hell did he even hit the backboard?  Let alone have it bank in!  I mean, the angle was such that I just ... how do you hit the side of the glass from there?  He was about as close to parallel to the baseline as a guy could be and somehow found the backboard.  Not the edge of the backboard but the square.  Jason was not an accurate shooter when he was here and his banked 3 from the corner speaks to just how off target he often was.  Fortunately, that one worked out but we lost the game anyway.

He has to call those 3 pointers off the banking board from now on though.

I remember one time Jason Dourisseau banking in a 3 pointer from the corner against Creighton.  The CORNER!  How the hell did he even hit the backboard?  Let alone have it bank in!  I mean, the angle was such that I just ... how do you hit the side of the glass from there?  He was about as close to parallel to the baseline as a guy could be and somehow found the backboard.  Not the edge of the backboard but the square.  Jason was not an accurate shooter when he was here and his banked 3 from the corner speaks to just how off target he often was.  Fortunately, that one worked out but we lost the game anyway.

Must have had some mad english on that shot.

Either that or a gust of wind picked it up just at the right time.   :)