Observations from Nebraska State Tournament

Does anyone know how many States currently leverage a shot clock in HS ball?

http://cfoa.com/basketball/shot-clock-article.php

Seven for boys, eight for girls.

Wait a second - ultra rural North Dakota has a 35 second shot clock for boys and a 30 second shot clock for girls?  If they can do it there with an even more sparse population than we have, we can certainly do it here (although the financial issues with doing so might have been mitigated in ND by the oil boom days).

The other thing the article talked about in North Dakota might be a good compromise here - use a shot clock in Class A (and perhaps class B ), but if the smaller classes are opposed, then allow them to continue playing without it. 

As to Dean's question - "If you give me any possible way a shot clock makes things better for the high school athlete and I might reconsider my position" - I would offer that a shot clock would help give kids from a state not historically known for producing a lot of college basketball players a potential step up over kids from other states without a shot clock.  It would also make them better prepared to play at the pace and within the offensive time constraints that college level play requires.  The result could result in more high D1 ready players (along with more low and medium D1, D2, etc players), with corresponding athletic scholarships.  With college tuition at the present levels, I think that would be a pretty significant betterment for the high school athlete.  

I guess I look at it from the defensive point of view. If I'm playing good enough half court defense to prevent you from getting a good shot for 35-40 seconds, I should be rewarded for it, rather than letting you continue to pass the ball around the perimeter. In college basketball, the home team forcing a shot clock violation can be a big momentum turner, almost as much as a great offensive play.

I'm old enough to remember when college basketball didn't have a shot clock, and I wasn't a fan of the shot clock when it was enacted. But I was wrong. It has made for a much more enjoyable game to watch. Players and coaches adapted quickly. The move to a 30 second clock this season has barely been an afterthought after a lot of concern in the off season.

At the HS level, it might be ugly at times at first, but kids/teams are great at adapting, and it will make the game better in the long run.

The shot clock is a defensive tool...not offensive tool.

While it can affect pace of play, generally lowering a shot clock time helps lower scoring not raise it.

In college this year, hard to determine if it affected scoring...as the other changes in enforcing the freedom of movement were made this year as well.

Do you guys really think that teams are stalling that much in high school basketball today?  I see a lot of games and don't see it as an issue.  I always felt that if you have guards that are good enough to stall for long periods, they are good enough to score.  I think it is part of the game and like to watch disciplined teams look for good shots.  The game is not always just for the fans.  To me it is like telling a football team that running the ball is boring so you have to pass on every down. 

While it can affect pace of play, generally lowering a shot clock time helps lower scoring not raise it.

In college this year, hard to determine if it affected scoring...as the other changes in enforcing the freedom of movement were made this year as well.

I disagree.  The shot clock would certainly create extra possessions, which almost certainly should lead to extra scoring

In college basketball this year, scoring is up.  Likewise the number of possessions per game is also up, which is almost certainly due to the shorter clock.

I disagree.  The shot clock would certainly create extra possessions, which almost certainly should lead to extra scoring

In college basketball this year, scoring is up.  Likewise the number of possessions per game is also up, which is almost certainly due to the shorter clock.

Scoring is up...but more due to the freedom of movement.

When the shot clock went from 45 to 35, scoring went down over a period of years.

If grabbing and clutching gets allowed again, the 30 second clock will reduce scoring...more good possessions will lead to more scoring, but more bad possessions won't.

Scoring is up...but more due to the freedom of movement.

When the shot clock went from 45 to 35, scoring went down over a period of years.

If grabbing and clutching gets allowed again, the 30 second clock will reduce scoring...more good possessions will lead to more scoring, but more bad possessions won't.

I understand the freedom of movement, but what grates me about it is that it is called only up top.  You have bigs getting mauled as they try to move down low and there is no call.

Just for contrast in New Zealand the shot clock is used for basically all competitive games for players older than around 13. The international standard of 24 seconds is used and while maybe some of the younger players could benefit from a longer limit I think in general 24 seconds is fine for most teams and levels. Also while occasionally there are issues with finding a suitable person to operate the clock I would say 99% of games would have no controversy surrounding the shot clock so this should not be an argument against its implementation.

Cell long time but glad your back.

Our Boy Tai is starting to grow up and it has been wonderful to watch.

Hey I never left! Im always here just lurking in the background. Ive been watching as many games as possible and from an outsiders view you guys should be real excited with some of the pieces that are going to be around for the next few years  :)

Tai deserves all the credit for his persistence despite the hugely unrealistic expectations raised by Fran Fraschilla's comments about him before he even got here. Does a Kiwi team go to the Olympics this year?

The way Tai has persevered has been great, you can even just look back to the comments on here from the Villanova game to see how easy it would have been for him to give it up.

To qualify for the Olympics the NZ national team has to win a 6 team tournament in the Philippines in July. If Tai wants to play he will definitely make the team. He would get to go up against Tony Parker and France in the group stage, as well as potentially Canada if they advance to the next round.