Nebraska will not pursue further postseason play

I for one am never a fan of the CBI. Nebraska has nothing to gain from playing in that tournament. I think it would have no benefit for the players whatsoever. I also thought the Vegas 16 would garner a lot more interest than it did. I thought that could at least provide some competition and benefit for the team.

Nebraska, Penn State, LSU, Northwestern, Knsas State, and a few more teams would have given the benefit of some competitive games. Never the CBI though.

I for one am never a fan of the CBI. Nebraska has nothing to gain from playing in that tournament. I think it would have no benefit for the players whatsoever. I also thought the Vegas 16 would garner a lot more interest than it did. I thought that could at least provide some competition and benefit for the team.

Nebraska, Penn State, LSU, Northwestern, Knsas State, and a few more teams would have given the benefit of some competitive games. Never the CBI though.

You put those 5 plus NC State, Georgetown and Marquette (who also turned down CBI and Vegas 16 opportunities) and round the field out with some mid-majors you'd have a reasonably attractive Vegas 16 field...

You put those 5 plus NC State, Georgetown and Marquette (who also turned down CBI and Vegas 16 opportunities) and round the field out with some mid-majors you'd have a reasonably attractive Vegas 16 field...

Just ask these eight with the eight already being talked about and they have a full field.

My question is why a few weeks ago did they send ticket information to season ticket holders for the NIT and CBI, if they never had intent to play in the CBI?  Obviously, a few weeks ago they were planning on playing in the CBI so I am surprised that they declined an invite.

My question is why a few weeks ago did they send ticket information to season ticket holders for the NIT and CBI, if they never had intent to play in the CBI?  Obviously, a few weeks ago they were planning on playing in the CBI so I am surprised that they declined an invite.

My guess was the outside shot at playing in the NIT.

Is there any pressure from the NCAA against these other tournaments?  Seems strange that no one is interested.  The money can't be that big of a deal.  

I think that it probably is, tho. Most ADs run in the red, not the black. And as far as I know, no conferences pick up the tab or subsidize it beyond the NCAA or NIT, so basically it's a school's independent decision. If you're a department losing money every year, I can't imagine the attraction of spending so much more for such little return.

It's looking more and more like the concern trolls during the NCAA purchase of the NIT were correct: the mid-standings power 5 schools were getting increasingly frozen out of postseason play. It's great for the midmajors, which is why it happened. But the price is that good programs who happen to be in loaded conferences are paying for that inclusion.

They sent out for the CBI, too. I'm just guessing no decision had been made at that point.

They sent out for the CBI, too. I'm just guessing no decision had been made at that point.

Yup. It would seem that the statement that Miles put out wasn't just media speak

My expert amateur opinion tells me that the staff really drilled in a "NCAA/NIT Tourney or bust" mentality into these guys so when those options were out of the window everything else available just didn't feel worth it to the guys

They certainly played like it in the B1G tournament. If that's part of it I certainly don't mind that mentality. 

It's pretty incredible that the Vegas 16 still has 5 more days before the tournament even begins.  The NCAA and NIT final 4's will all be set by the time the event tips off on Monday.  I guess I still think a 17 day layover wouldn't have served us very well.

Besides the fact that the Vegas 16 is now eight mid-major teams.