uneblinstu's post game chatter vol 8, no 34: I hate Jake Laymon

We will be able to replace Shields and Parker.   We may not have a guy that goes for 16.7 a game like Shields...but Gill will step in and be more than productive.   Parker played well these last two games and was very good last night.  But let's not forget how mediocre he was all year.   Finding an undersized player who can't shoot isn't hard to do.   The biggest thing for me is that we won't have as many empty minutes next year as we did this year.   Our freshmen will be more experienced.  We won't have an offensive liability like a Parker on the floor.  

Loved watching Shields....but the combination of Gill, experience, added talent and added depth will replace him.

I agree with you. Also want to add last year a lot folks were down on Tai. He improved lots this year. He was a slasher, rebounder, and played pretty good defense. Hopefully Hammond, Fuller, the freshman, and all will improve. Sometimes kids are late bloomers and I'm looking forward to seeing this group with the addition of Gill, the incoming freshmen, and hopefully a Shaquille O'Neal clone on next years team. GBR...

Nice effort by our team last night. I hope they decide to play in the post season and try to finish with a winning record this year. I didn't end up hating Maryland, they have excellent players at every position but seem soft mentally. I don't expect them to advance very far in the Dance. Our only chance was for them to come out disinterested and rusty and let us get ahead early. This obviously didn't happen.

We also need that one BIG missing component. That one thing that is LARGELY missing. That one TALL order.

I only hope that we can push FORWARD and find this missing component.  If we do, then I think that we might be the CENTER of attention in the Big Ten

Wait, I'm not following.

Hey guys not everything is just the on court stuff.

Will we be better next year without these two, maybe, but they will be missed when we need that extra push.

I think that is where it might be missed the most.

Do we come back in some of theses games without their leadership, probably not.

It is always tough to loose two guys who have played in almost 130 games each.

There were plenty of times where they were no where to be found when we needed that push this year.   Let's stop pretending the last 2 nights are an accurate picture of the entire year. 

If you can't replace Parker....you are going to struggle.   We'll see a lot of increased production from our guards next year.  Shields is a very good player.   But he can be replaced by committee.

Hey guys not everything is just the on court stuff.

Will we be better next year without these two, maybe, but they will be missed when we need that extra push.

I think that is where it might be missed the most.

Do we come back in some of theses games without their leadership, probably not.

It is always tough to loose two guys who have played in almost 130 games each.

There were plenty of times where they were no where to be found when we needed that push this year.   Let's stop pretending the last 2 nights are an accurate picture of the entire year. 

If you can't replace Parker....you are going to struggle.   We'll see a lot of increased production from our guards next year.  Shields is a very good player.   But he can be replaced by committee.

Well in about two weeks or less you can be happy that you won't have to have this agreement with anybody any more.

Post game notes

*-Andrew White III finished with a team-high 25 points, his eighth 20-point game of the year. He also finished with five 3-pointers, upping his total to 87 on the year. He moved past Ray Gallegos (82, 2013) for second place tonight and  is one shy of NU’s single-season record
*-The 13 3-pointers by Maryland were a season-high by a Husker opponent (previous high was 11)
*-Benny Parker appeared in his 130th game tonight, which is one shy of the Huskers career reocrd
*-Shavon Shields made his 112th start tonight, passing Dave Hoppen for second on NU’s career starts list,
*-Shields finished with 19 points, matching Aleks Maric (1,630 points) for fifth place on NU’s career scoring list
*-Shields reached double figures for the 16th consecutive game, the longest streak of his career.
*-Nebraska finished with four players in double figures, the third time this week NU had at least four in double figures
*-The 97 points allowed and 60.3 percent field goal shooting were season highs against Nebraska.
*-Nine of NU’s 18 losses have been to ranked teams
*-Nebraska scored 80 or more points for the second time in three game and the ninth time this season.